The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

You know, it was our full roster that created a decent team...….

But we are short

Our #1 RW

Our # 2 LW, who is arguably our #1 LW

Our # 3 C

Our # 4 C

and Our co #1 Damn (which are both kinda 2/3 ish type dmen)

When they get back, we will be able to hide some of our defensive deficiencies  

Puck possession is a wonderful thing to reduce goals against.

In saying that, we have the exact same defense as last year, and the forwards will only be able to do so much

We are expecting too much

7 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

It’s going to be a few more years before we should realistically be  talking  about playoffs. There’s a lot of deadweight on the team. Management really needs to up their game in terms of the quality of the FAs they sign. 

I dont think were as far off as some may think. If we bottom out this year, are able to deal Edler etc for good returns. Get a top pick, hopefully top 3 and also add the likes of Hughes, Juolevi and maybe an impact free agent signing or impact trade. We could be in the playoffs as soon as next year. We won't be making any noise for probably 3-4 years though.

We have 4 stars to build around. 

Bo

Petey 

Brock 

Hughes and maybeeee Hughes, Kaako or Cozens lol

2 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

:blink: we need some rest

4 games in 6 days next week.

Was a good game, Canucks put out good effort but there were a lot of unforced errors getting the puck out, missed passes, etc.  Let the ever-lucky Habs (even their clownish "fans" admit it) have their points, the suffering for us is drawing to a close as there's light ahead.  We'll get our injured guys back, have good prospects nearing NHL-readiness, and half this defence could be gone next year, plus goalies with big upside are on the horizon.  We're just finishing up the transition period then it's up and away.

22 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I dont think were as far off as some may think. If we bottom out this year, are able to deal Edler etc for good returns. Get a top pick, hopefully top 3 and also add the likes of Hughes, Juolevi and maybe an impact free agent signing or impact trade. We could be in the playoffs as soon as next year. We won't be making any noise for probably 3-4 years though.

We have 4 stars to build around. 

Bo

Petey 

Brock 

Hughes and maybeeee Hughes, Kaako or Cozens lol

dream big - or- not

19 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

4 games in 6 days next week.

Was a good game, Canucks put out good effort but there were a lot of unforced errors getting the puck out, missed passes, etc.  Let the ever-lucky Habs (even their clownish "fans" admit it) have their points, the suffering for us is drawing to a close as there's light ahead.  We'll get our injured guys back, have good prospects nearing NHL-readiness, and half this defence could be gone next year, plus goalies with big upside are on the horizon.  We're just finishing up the transition period then it's up and away.

3 of those 4 games being on the road.

Canucks are the only team at 22 games in the entire league and they've already travelled 2x out East.  They really need to talk to the league about that and come up with a more reasonable schedule.  That much travel increases the risk of injury.  

I see this as the calm before the storm. Like a clean sheet of ice. The explosion. its building. Just below the surface . Because despite 5 losses in a row,  I still like our spirit. We could be a contender as soon as two years. Green is happy with the engagement effort considering all the travel and injuries. He may be blowing a little smoke but I agree with him. They are getting chances. I like their forecheck for the most part.  They are still a fun team to watch, win or lose. I don't even blame Markstrom.  He's an average goalie who looks below average because we don't have the talent, especially on D, to make him look that way. On a good team an average goalie should not be a problem.

The main thing is they are going up. And no that's not just what she said. We can actually see a projectory.  We have the potential of already lucking out getting a #1 center and a #1 defenseman. Too bad Demko had to get himself injured so badly. Or we may have had that covered as well. At least until DiPietro is ready.  So adding to how Green has them playing so engaged, if you then add what's coming down the pike together with the hints of glory you already see with Pettersson. Also Boeser Horvat and Virtanen. As players get healthy, and our present crop of rookies mature on the farm, and college, and players next tier down like Gaudette learn how to play in the NHL, Hughes coming. And Lockwood, Woo, DiPietro coming down the next pike. I see promise in games like this rather than gloom.  Because its different than in years past when we lost multiple games in a row, that was the unchanging status quo, now things have changed, we are fighting above our weight class, and even in most games we lose, which is usually close. Something is simmering just below the surface and I predict a big blue orca breaking through the ice sooner than expected!

30 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I was truly thinking Delzotto was playing good, I thought back to the crossbar in NewYork and thought the last 3-4 games he’s been getting better. Than The delzaster penalty and it was hero to zero. I hope he makes it up to the team next game .

32 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

I actually thought it was a great game.  Great effort, Bo was an absolute beast, EP keeps doing EP things, Hutton probably had a career best game.  All in all pretty pleased.  Sucks we lost, but it will be exciting to see what we can do when healthy.

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

At least we put Hutton on the first team PP and it paid off as, unlike the last plug D man, he feathered a Beauty pass to EP to tee off on 

A few things stood out for me tonight.

1. As Toyota and others pointed out, the key play of the game was MDZ's penalty. How much do I hate that play? Let me count the ways. First it was just a stupid play -- late in the 3rd period in a tie game, an obvious penalty, and served no purpose in terms of the play. And it was a dirty play -- a late hard hit into the boards long after the puck was gone when Kotkaniemi was not expecting to be hit. It was a cheap shot on the young talented rookie, exactly the kind of hit we don't want to see on Pettersson. Montreal was not taking a lot lot of liberties with Pettersson tonight. If MDZ was going to make that kind of play it should have been against a team that was taking cheap shots at EP40. 

2. EP40 scored a nice goal off a one-timer on a pass from Hutton. If Pouliot had been on the PP making that pass it probably would have been in EPs feet or on the wrong side and the opportunity would be gone. Nice to see Hutton on the first unit PP.

3. Another big game from Horvat. He took 34 face-offs--about as many as eveyone else combined.--and he won over 2/3 of them (going 23 and 11). And he deserved an assist on the first goal, did a great job playing shutdown, and had some good scoring chances. Hope he can keep it up.

4. The Canuck D is trying to support the offense and is taking some risks. The first Montreal goal was because Guddy was thinking about the offense and let his man (Tatar) blow by him to get open for the stretch pass. It was a great pass by Petry and a great play by Tatar, but I am not sure it is worth it to have Guddy trying to push the offence. I would rather see him focus on defence.

5. Goldy got an assist on the goal by EP40 but I continue to disappointed at the poor cross-ice passes he often makes and by his lack of consistency on the backcheck and on the forecheck (too many flybys). He did make some good defensive plays tonight, so he is trying, but it would nice if playing hard on the backcheck was part of his DNA, as it seems to be for EP and Horvat.

6. I am sure a lot of fans are thinking during the game about about how good it would be to have Edler, Boeser, Sutter, Beagle and Baerschi back. I certainly am.

7. The Canucks played a good game. It was pretty close but in a just world the Canucks would have come away with 2 pts. The Canucks had above average luck to start the season but have had below-average luck recently.  As Green said in his post-game interview, the team is playing hard. No complaints on that score. I complained above about MDZ and Goldy, but they are trying hard, as is everyone else. Just hope they keep it up as the bounces will start going the Canucks' way again sooner or later.

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

My bad. I thought the Canucks would get a couple days off! But they are every other night Mon vs WPG then Wed vs Anaheim then Fri vs SJS. What a gong show!!!!!!!!! They have to rest up! 

San Jose and the Kings, back to back Friday and Saturday, after Anaheim on Wednesday

Woohoo - I am going to the Ducks and Kings games with a buddy who is down for 2 weeks golfing

3 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Really?  Is it?  I have seen that exact play against the Canucks umpteen times this season and never called.

I’m just going through this thread now and came across your post. 

Go back and watch the the play again. It was a late hit. A bonehead play. Give me an example of a play where the canucks got a late hit like that but didn’t get the call please. 

Give me a break.

Archived