The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Horvat had a hell of a game.

Oh boy did he ever.  That third period might have been Horvat's best period as a Canuck.  He seemed to have a puck on a string and was all over the Habs when in the offensive zone.  Amazing he didn't end up getting a point last night, but it really shows how good his game has become.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

As Price said after the game, lots of low quality shots. Looks good in the stats but that is all. Lots of perimeter shots.

First game after a road trip, EP still shows flash and is something to watch.

Edler makes a difference can't say the team misses Beagle he played one game, maybe Gaudette is better, Nillson is backup goalie so every 5 games or so, Sutter they miss, Boeser they miss, Sven? maybe.

Sutter, Boeser, Sven/Beage a forward line. Edler, 20+min a night.

IMO Sven is done, his best game has been played and his concussions are coming way too easy.

Boeser, they are trying so hard not to operate, to get him back to finish out the year, not really rushing because of the glam EP is getting.

Sutter, 2nd or 3rd shoulder injury? Shoulders are problems, TDL to a team close to where his family is now.

Edler, everyone had an opinion on Edler, most were negative, were.

Beagle, don't know, isn't here to score but may take some pressure off Horvat. 

Agree and disagree...

any team would be happy to play Beagle at 4th line centre with his face off ability. But more importantly either Sutter or Beagle being able to play would releave Bo of having to do all the donkey work, and maybe stay more fresh for the attacking part. 

And regarding Baertschi couldn’t disagree more... there noone else on this team capable of playing the lw on the top two lines better than Baertschi. Is he perfect, no, but by far the best we got for that position. 

16 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

2013 - 2014 was much worse, this schedule is balanced, 14 games is the most in one month  this year.

Away games are good for bonding.

If the team was a contender the talk would be about all the home games they get at the end of the year, but a reason is needed now so....

It's not the number of games per month, it's the outrageous number of games on the road in the first month and a half of the season 

that was a good game for the tank guys with the pettersson snipe and the loss.  could have gone either way.  for now it looks like the habs have killed it with picking up domi and i think he is jacking up the whole team.  you have to wonder if that trade outcome has encouraged the pearson and strome deals.

i hope horvat can continue to handle this workload.  it is transforming him as a player into a guy who will be a playoff monster when we get there.

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

A lot of assumptions there Gaurds.  

Baer is out, but by what news or info are you basing his premature retirement on? 

Sutter and Beagle would be a huge boost for this club.  Yes they would definitely make a difference. One reason we are not getting more offence from Horvat is that he is taking all the crucial draws. 

This is also making a big impact on the farm team and the clubs entire center depth is being strecthed. 

Lack of quality shots, Boeser would spread the d coverage giving more room to Pettersson.  Both would have better odds of getting quality shots thru if he was back. 

Nilsson/Markstrom is a upgrade on Markstrom/Bachman. Two of our top 3 goalies are out for injury. This impacts the entire org, look at the team in Utica and how they have struggled to keep pucks out. Same goes for Markstrom. Too many games for him.  He was doing much better with a tandem set up than as a number one guy. 

Edler is a big loss to this team right now.  It forces Hutton and MDZ to play a lot more minutes. Hutton had a down first period but did well.  MDZ got a great goal, then took the dumbest penalty of the year costing this team a well deserved point. 

Edler back in to take monster minutes lowers the gaff meter. He will of course make his gaffs, but they generally aren’t that bad and most fans aren’t overly hard on him.... me too.  

This team is down its best d man, leading scorer from last year, it’s top left winger, it’s two leading veteran defensive centers and it’s 2nd and 3rd ranked goalies. 

Things worked for a bit but the wheels came off on the road trip. Ironically I thought Markstrom out played Proce and had a great game. That second goal was a fluke and the MDZ gaff was idiotic. Don’t think he’s on the ice for that play if Edler is a season back.  

With the tremendous improvement of Hutton, it should be able to keep Edlers minutes at about 22-24min tops. Will help Edler lots. All positives. And yes Markstrom played really well. PS. Forgot to mention Horvat, who has been incredible throughout these injury hit times.  

11 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

It's not the number of games per month, it's the outrageous number of games on the road in the first month and a half of the season 

Plus, two, 6 game trips back east. The HNIC crew were talking about this last night, even they were saying how brutal that is. Now, about all of those injuries, and how they happen to this team, every season. At this rate Horvat is going to be worn down by Christmas time.

A couple of things

First off, the fact that we are a rebuilding team, indicates we were generally a old and slow team, through out the line up, and as we have started to rebuild, our young players are still waiting for passes, and or are waiting for players to break free, this cause time delay and allows opposing teams a chance to position for contact. My thought to this thought is as we add younger players, we will have more possession, but each player will have the puck less, because the puck will be doing he work, and the players will be moving quicker for holes, this will become apparent, I hope over the next couple of years.

Secondly, I hope we can improve our team size, while we are still drafting our elite talent, as we are a little small in general. I also think that as our talent improves we will have puck possession more, and our players will be better at defending, causing less demand to block shots, as I think our blocking of shots has caused a lot of our injury whoa' s.

Fractured jaws, broken feet and arm's should generally be less frequent. Again, a lot of things develop because of pressure, and players would not be in the same position if there was more pressure being exerted, on all area's (example of this is how Pettersson is now being singled out and if Broeser was with him, dmen would have to be watching 2 elite's instead of one, this actually allows more room on the ice for both, and hits are less frequent - generally)

I think this is what separates the top end clubs form the average, or the bottom end clubs, which is a no-bainer really, but as the team gets quicker, faster, passes better, and is able to regroup quicker in transition, we will see both a better consistency and less injuries, and as a result, more victories.

I thought that was a great game. 

‘Price was really good tonight and deserves the credit. He is always good in Vancouver. 

Nice to se EP score one. Really looked like getting monkey off his back and was dangerous all night.

stupid late hit by MDZ especially after the soft interference call earlier on Montreal.

Kotkaniemi or however is spelled is a really impressive young player. No EP but looks like the Habs made a good pick so far. 

Markstrom looked much better after a few days rest. 

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

A couple of things

First off, the fact that we are a rebuilding team, indicates we were generally a old and slow team, through out the line up, and as we have started to rebuild, our young players are still waiting for passes, and or are waiting for players to break free, this cause time delay and allows opposing teams a chance to position for contact. My thought to this thought is as we add younger players, we will have more possession, but each player will have the puck less, because the puck will be doing he work, and the players will be moving quicker for holes, this will become apparent, I hope over the next couple of years.

Secondly, I hope we can improve our team size, while we are still drafting our elite talent, as we are a little small in general. I also think that as our talent improves we will have puck possession more, and our players will be better at defending, causing less demand to block shots, as I think our blocking of shots has caused a lot of our injury whoa' s.

Fractured jaws, broken feet and arm's should generally be less frequent. Again, a lot of things develop because of pressure, and players would not be in the same position if there was more pressure being exerted, on all area's (example of this is how Pettersson is now being singled out and if Broeser was with him, dmen would have to be watching 2 elite's instead of one, this actually allows more room on the ice for both, and hits are less frequent - generally)

I think this is what separates the top end clubs form the average, or the bottom end clubs, which is a no-bainer really, but as the team gets quicker, faster, passes better, and is able to regroup quicker in transition, we will see both a better consistency and less injuries, and as a result, more victories.

I agree with you for the most part. BUT, the highlighted injuries mostly occur during the PK. Blocking shots, breaking up passes etc., means alot of sticks getting in play causing freak injuries to occur. Deflections, getting turned around facing shots, and fatigue are all factors for injuries, let alone this brutal travel schedule.

32 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Which one could argue sets them up perfectly for a home stretch where they rest and get some easy points while getting ready for the playoffs.

Except they aren't that good.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

2013 - 2014 was much worse, this schedule is balanced, 14 games is the most in one month  this year.

Away games are good for bonding.

If the team was a contender the talk would be about all the home games they get at the end of the year, but a reason is needed now so....

If the reason fits, wear it.  Something like that.

Look...you're looking at one apsect of away games.  But anyone who travels for work knows there is a burnout factor.  That if it's "gogogo" and your regular routine is disrupted, that it can become an issue.  Fatigue is a real deal.  On the road, we're also playing morning games, earlier games, etc.  So everything becomes somewhat out of synch.

We don't know "contenders" at this point... no one does.  It's why they bother playing the games.  A team can slide in sideways and  defy the odds to get there and, depending on if everything lines up, find momentum once there.  If a goaltender is hot, if players are healthy, etc.   Broken record here, but my God, I love that some decide, in November, who will and won't be there.  Even if an educated  guess that looks at probabilities, you just don't know with so many  uncontrollable variables factoring in.   

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

A lot of assumptions there Gaurds.  

Baer is out, but by what news or info are you basing his premature retirement on? 

Sutter and Beagle would be a huge boost for this club.  Yes they would definitely make a difference. One reason we are not getting more offence from Horvat is that he is taking all the crucial draws. 

This is also making a big impact on the farm team and the clubs entire center depth is being strecthed. 

Lack of quality shots, Boeser would spread the d coverage giving more room to Pettersson.  Both would have better odds of getting quality shots thru if he was back. 

Nilsson/Markstrom is a upgrade on Markstrom/Bachman. Two of our top 3 goalies are out for injury. This impacts the entire org, look at the team in Utica and how they have struggled to keep pucks out. Same goes for Markstrom. Too many games for him.  He was doing much better with a tandem set up than as a number one guy. 

Edler is a big loss to this team right now.  It forces Hutton and MDZ to play a lot more minutes. Hutton had a down first period but did well.  MDZ got a great goal, then took the dumbest penalty of the year costing this team a well deserved point. 

Edler back in to take monster minutes lowers the gaff meter. He will of course make his gaffs, but they generally aren’t that bad and most fans aren’t overly hard on him.... me too.  

This team is down its best d man, leading scorer from last year, it’s top left winger, it’s two leading veteran defensive centers and it’s 2nd and 3rd ranked goalies. 

Things worked for a bit but the wheels came off on the road trip. Ironically I thought Markstrom out played Proce and had a great game. That second goal was a fluke and the MDZ gaff was idiotic. Don’t think he’s on the ice for that play if Edler is a season back.  

2 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

Can a team really be injury prone..? The answer for the Canucks is maybe (haha) I thought I'd have a quick look at the 5 guys who are out now, Edler, Beagle, Baertschi, Sutter, Boeser.

Edler over the past 5 seasons has missed an average of 17 games per season

Beagle over the past 5 seasons has missed an average of 14 games per season

Sutter over the past 5 seasons has missed an average of 17 games per season (a bit skewed by his time in Vancouver, as he has missed an average of 28 games per season while with the Canucks)

Baertschi over his 3 full seasons with the Canucks has missed an average of 18 games per season

Boeser will likely be at an average of 20 games missed per season over his first 2 seasons.

Other players currently NOT injured (gonna go out on a short limb and say at least one and likely all 3 will miss games at some point this season)

Tanev over the past 5 seasons has missed an average of 22 games per season

Gudbranson over the past 5 seasons has missed an average of 24 games per season

Granlund in his first 2 full seasons with the Canucks missed an average of 21 games per season.

Bo suffered his first major injury last season and it cost him 18 games and if Green keeps running him out there for damn near every faceoff he's going to start getting fatigued and just watch him tweak a knee or a groin and miss a few weeks.

Throw in missed games from Marky and Nilsson over the last few seasons and that's pretty much half the team just mentioned above.

Do the Canucks need a perfect storm of health just to be competitive because it seems over the last 4-5 seasons as soon as the injuries start they don't just struggle they go on multiple game losing streaks and the season completely goes off the rails.

Food for thought on a Sunday morning...now off to get my coffee. Enjoy the sun those in Vancouver.

Thought the nucks hung in enough to get at least a point. 

It isnt so much the injuries as the timing.  Two 6 game road trips in the first weeks of the season. That will see some injuries, but yikes, two thirds of the top line, out, the top d men out, 2 thirds of our dedicated faceoff guys out and half our tandem. Not just players injured, but key players throughout the lineup. 

Bad news for this year, maybe.  I think this club has a bounce back mentality.  

In terms of development, in the short term it may help, but if the injuries continue over the long term I see this hurting the kids.  

Most teams in the East(THEY HARDLY EVEN GO OUT OF THEIR OWN TIME ZONES) would crap the bed if they had to travels like the Canucks over the last 3 weeks.

Considering all our injuries and this wicked stretch of road games we are doing O.K.

Better than expected by most Hockey geniuses.

51 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Oh boy did he ever.  That third period might have been Horvat's best period as a Canuck.  He seemed to have a puck on a string and was all over the Habs when in the offensive zone.  Amazing he didn't end up getting a point last night, but it really shows how good his game has become.

When he gets some support so that he can be a mostly-offensive player again we may see his full development as a true star in this league. 

28 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Lots of hate on MDZ and rightly so for that bonehead check but Virtanen also took a dumb penalty holding the stick at a crucial time. Then you have Tanev being pushed right out of the crease by a player half his size for a goal. Team effort!

Gally can play on my team any day 

19 minutes ago, nzan said:

When he gets some support so that he can be a mostly-offensive player again we may see his full development as a true star in this league. 

Crazy to think that Horvat is still on pace for 67 points.  It'll be nice to see Sutter and Beagle come back to free him up for a more offensive role, then Baertschi and Boeser come back as more offensive players to play with (not that he'll necessarily play with them, but the whole ripple effect).

this team has played it's heart out in the first quarter of this season.  Anyone whining about this downturn should be embarrassed.  I don't care what happens for the rest of this season, what they have shown in the first 20 games has been uplifting

Archived