-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 19, 2018

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

OMG, this big physical team won, imagine that, maybe it’s time we try to build one and win a cup, whatever it is we’ve been doing the last decade and a half sure as heck ain’t working.

if your young guns pan out - I think we are headed down that road

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What a message for Archie. When we needed size and pushback he only gets 2 minutes.... 

It would help if he could skate.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Sestito yes. Lain has played 2 NHL games and last played in the ECHL (no longer playing). Weise was never a tough guy but forced to fight to keep his spot on the team. 

Sestito has retired from the league in case you're wondering, tough guy.

I'm going out on a limb, the Winnipeg Jets are for real. I think they're the best in the West, and are ready to make the next step. Fast, skilled, solid d and winning goaltending. I've never been a Paul Maurice fan, but he's doing an unbelievable job with that talent. Wait until Laine gets on a goal per game pace.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Markstrom may not be the worst in the league but there is no denying he is in the bottom five or six. 

For me though, his worst fault is he seems to have his worst brainfart attempts when it is likely to kill us most. I can hardly watch him now, I find myself turning away. 

Surely there must be a "decent" (yes I'll settle for that) goalie we could get from the KHL.

We are strapping anvils on the backs of these youngsters every f----g night. Come on JB do something about it!

A note on Roussel - He's a classless POS we don't need.

Really? He picks on a team mate's young brother and pummels him when he is held by the ref. I know what I would be doing next practice if I was CT and it wouldn't be buying Roussel breakfast.

Other than the brainfart first goal, Marky played well. He faced TWO GAMES worth of shots. I give him a break on losing the rebound on the second or third Winnipeg goal, he obviously thought the felt it in his gear. 

Now, Brandon Tanev isn't some helpless 14-year-old on the pond being picked on by a bigger kid. He leads Winnipeg in hits and was dirtier than I remember him being last night, cross checking Jake after a clean hit and lots of stick work in the corners. We know Jake will never drop the gloves, so Roussel does. Isn't that what we've been looking for, some pushback when our young stars get abused? Didn't I read people laughing at Tkachuk pulling a full turtle against Edmonton after stirring up crap? I'm not Roussel's biggest fan, but it's time somebody started pushing back.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Side note

gagner>leipsic 

Leipsic has shown almost nothing this season.  For Gagner, it was one game.  If he can sustain it, he can push Leipsic out of the line up.

1 minute ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Other than the brainfart first goal, Marky played well. He faced TWO GAMES worth of shots. I give him a break on losing the rebound on the second or third Winnipeg goal, he obviously thought the felt it in his gear. 

Now, Brandon Tanev isn't some helpless 14-year-old on the pond being picked on by a bigger kid. He leads Winnipeg in hits and was dirtier than I remember him being last night, cross checking Jake after a clean hit and lots of stick work in the corners. We know Jake will never drop the gloves, so Roussel does. Isn't that what we've been looking for, some pushback when our young stars get abused? Didn't I read people laughing at Tkachuk pulling a full turtle against Edmonton after stirring up crap? I'm not Roussel's biggest fan, but it's time somebody started pushing back.

:lol:

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Gagner. 

0 points

2 shots on goal.

Not going to re-ignite his NHL career with numbers like that. 

Stats don't show the whole picture - I'm guessing you didn't actually watch the game.  He played hard and made chances.  Didn't result in goals, but he passed the eye test... for today.  The real question is long term will he sustain the focus and effort.

• Like 1

Canucks did everything they could, and with a healthy team, they would've won. They were in this game all the way through, and the score doesn't reflect how good the Canucks were. Markstrom's giveaway for an empty netter (he faced almost 50 shots), and then the empty net goal near the end of the game. I don't like Laine, he seems to have this "I'm great" attitude, and then he cracks his face open to reveal that toothy ogre grin. I thought Hutton played his best game. He made 2 empty net saves, played really solid, was putting on the moves to get the puck out of trouble, he did a lot of good things. I used to be critical of Hutton, but he might be the Canuck best D right now. Tanev is alright too. But almost 50 shots against, they need Edler back. Pettersson continues to impress, great to see Goldobin finally score. I like the Canucks better without Leipsic. Gagner played a hard fought game.

• Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Stats don't show the whole picture - I'm guessing you didn't actually watch the game.  He played hard and made chances.  Didn't result in goals, but he passed the eye test... for today.  The real question is long term will he sustain the focus and effort.

i agree with you Rog....he looked solid out there.  Especially compared to Leipsic.  Leipsic is like one of those wind up toys that generates a lot of noise and appendage movement...but at the end it just falls over.  It was almost refreshing to see Gagner not constantly turn over pucks and constantly have the play die on his stick....but the comparison bar (Leipsic) is admittedly quite low...

The other noticeable thing...the best zone time shifts in the Winnipeg end were the result of the D making wise decisions with the puck. 9/10 times they dump it in, or if they get a pass back they launch a muffin towards the goalies crest.  There were a few times though, a tanev shift in particular, where the D kept the play alive by passing it to forwards instead of killing the play...they kept the cycle going and held the line....hopefully this is something Hughes and Juolevi can really help the team with in the future.

• Hydration 1

28 minutes ago, Odd. said:

What? Lots of POS's are all of that. Roussel so far has showed that he can be tough, literally his game revolves around being a hard nosed and grit and Dallas Stars organization absolutely loved him on and off the ice because of the character he had. He's the only guy willing to step up for the team, I don't know what you are talking about on this one. 

Literally our only sort of pushback is Roussel, and he's done well. Not only that, but he can play too. 

Roussel shouldn't be the only player providing it. Why Gudbranson isn't providing that is beyond me. I'm hoping he does soon, as he puts a little more fear into players than Roussel.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks did everything they could, and with a healthy team, they would've won. They were in this game all the way through, and the score doesn't reflect how good the Canucks were. Markstrom's giveaway for an empty netter (he faced almost 50 shots), and then the empty net goal near the end of the game.

Thought the first 3 goals were brutal, most #1 netminders might have given up 1 of those, if that. Agree, if we were healthy, we would have won, Edler along with Sutter and Beagles lines would have been tougher to play against and we would have more offense with Brock and Baer, so we could score our way out of trouble. Just my 2 cents.

Losing is awful... Please make it stop? When do Brock edler and Nilly return? 

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Markstrom may not be the worst in the league but there is no denying he is in the bottom five or six. 

For me though, his worst fault is he seems to have his worst brainfart attempts when it is likely to kill us most. I can hardly watch him now, I find myself turning away. 

Surely there must be a "decent" (yes I'll settle for that) goalie we could get from the KHL.

We are strapping anvils on the backs of these youngsters every f----g night. Come on JB do something about it!

A note on Roussel - He's a classless POS we don't need.

Really? He picks on a team mate's young brother and pummels him when he is held by the ref. I know what I would be doing next practice if I was CT and it wouldn't be buying Roussel breakfast.

Agree on Markstrom.

Not happy abut Roussel throwing when Tanev was down but from what I recall, he went after him because of an altercation with Jake.  Would rather have seen Jake fight his own battle but in Roussel's defence, he was playing his role and standing up for one of our youngsters.