The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 19, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Well - at least got to see the condensed game online.

Bright side is it looks like they hung in until mid-3rd at least.  Outshot as expected, rung some posts as expected.

Nice to see Motte and Goldobin bury one each - and EP continue to snipe.

82-0 or 0-82.........there is no in between

Looking at the 'underlying numbers'.....

It looks like Gaudette was in way over his head - to be expected with what the Jets have down the middle to match up against.

100% ozone starts, 18.2% corsi.   Tough team to handle as a rookie center. 

Maybe some folks around here will start to realize just how good Sutter (and Beagle) are.

Hutton's numbers easily the worst on the blueline = to be expected when facing a team like Winnipeg and handling a 1LHD role.

Likewise - one of those nights that people ought to realize the value of Alex Edler.

Virtanen's numbers on the other hand stand out

36.4% ozone starts, 56.4% corsi.

Anyhow, wish I could have seen it in it's entirety - but three of the young guys scored - and the team hung in through 55 minutes - not bad against perhaps the NHL's most difficult matchup.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

82-0 or 0-82.........there is no in between

No kidding eh.

Fire Green!

Hutton, Pouliot, etc suck!   Who'da known they weren't 1LHD?

Gaudette is a bust!   Will he ever break out?

Maybe a blessing to have missed that GDT.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He certainly had a bad game yesterday. Those things happen. Providing HFBoards as a source is truly horrible.

36 minutes ago, oldnews said:

well, if "HF Boards" says so......lol.

You guys are welcome to check advanced stats website like that specific poster did and copy that information down for others to see. 

I checked it out and it was more or less then same as what the poster had written:

Gudbranson CF% 28.57, FF% 20, SF% 21.43. 3 scoring chances for and 20 against from naturalstattrick.com

You guys are welcome to talk about the actual substance now. 

3 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

You guys are welcome to check advanced stats website like that specific poster did and copy that information down for others to see. 

I checked it out and it was more or less then same as what the poster had written:

Gudbranson CF% 28.57, FF% 20, SF% 21.43. 3 scoring chances for and 20 against from naturalstattrick.com

You guys are welcome to talk about the actual substance now. 

Yes, but you provided HFboards as the source, when the stats came from naturalstatstrick.com. Had you merely provided the second site as the source, this could have been avoided.

That being said, you chose to "endorse" HFboards, which is the bottom of the barrel site. The amount of hand-wringing, conjecture, and all around whining makes the CDC look like a Mensa chapter.

As far as discussing "actual substance", I'm all for that, but statistics are only part of that actual substance. They provide metrics to measure player performance, but are not the be all and end all.

52 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Guddy provides a far more effective physical game than any other player on the team. Not sure where it went recently.

True.  Maybe Guddy can only do one things at a time well - he can either play a physical game but lose his puck skills, or play better with the puck but lost his physical game.  Those skills only overlap for short spurts.

2 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

True.  Maybe Guddy can only do one things at a time well - he can either play a physical game but lose his puck skills, or play better with the puck but lost his physical game.  Those skills only overlap for short spurts.

Hopefully Green can help him find a balance.

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes, but you provided HFboards as the source, when the stats came from naturalstatstrick.com. Had you merely provided the second site as the source, this could have been avoided.

That being said, you chose to "endorse" HFboards, which is the bottom of the barrel site. The amount of hand-wringing, conjecture, and all around whining makes the CDC look like a Mensa chapter.

As far as discussing "actual substance", I'm all for that, but statistics are only part of that actual substance. They provide metrics to measure player performance, but are not the be all and end all.

Agree the stats only tell part of the story.  I have to say that they do tend to confirm the Guddy and Stecher eye test though.  Guddy struggled with the pace and intensity of the jets' forecheck which resulted in numerous turnovers, errant passes and non-clears.  He looked out-matched all night.  I love Stecher but he was like a fly on an elephant's ass trying to move those big Winnipeg players.  He gave it his all but they basically just brushed him aside.   Winnipeg is a tough team and significantly more physical than us.  Somebody our guys were simply over matched.    They didn't really play physical last night thank goodness.  If they had, it could have been worse as we are pretty small up front in comparison and aside from Guddy, on the back end as well.  

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Agree the stats only tell part of the story.  I have to say that they do tend to confirm the Guddy and Stecher eye test though.  Guddy struggled with the pace and intensity of the jets' forecheck which resulted in numerous turnovers, errant passes and non-clears.  He looked over-the-counter all night.  I love Stecher but he was like a fly on an elephant's ass trying to move those big Winnipeg players.  He gave it his all but they basically just brushed him aside.   Winnipeg is a tough team and significantly more physical than us.  Somebody our guys were simply over matched.    They didn't really play physical last night thank goodness.  If they had, it could have been worse as we are pretty small up front in comparison and aside from Guddy, on the back end as well.  

who didn't struggle with it?  I'd guess most teams they play do.  That's called being a contender.  How well did teams and players fare against the 2011 Canucks?  Not very good is the answer.

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Could've also been avoided if it wasn't brought up in the first place. 

I do agree that HFBoards is heavy on the pessimism. 

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Agree the stats only tell part of the story.  I have to say that they do tend to confirm the Guddy and Stecher eye test though.  Guddy struggled with the pace and intensity of the jets' forecheck which resulted in numerous turnovers, errant passes and non-clears.  He looked out-matched all night.  I love Stecher but he was like a fly on an elephant's ass trying to move those big Winnipeg players.  He gave it his all but they basically just brushed him aside.   Winnipeg is a tough team and significantly more physical than us.  Somebody our guys were simply over matched.    They didn't really play physical last night thank goodness.  If they had, it could have been worse as we are pretty small up front in comparison and aside from Guddy, on the back end as well.  

Jets, and other teams now too, take a lot of shots from poor scoring areas, because they know our goalies are terrible.  It makes playing sound defensive hockey nearly impossible when the goalie is poor.  Marky is often out of position, appears small in net, and lets out juicy rebounds.  If we had a top notch goalie (hopefully Demko, and soon) our D play would appear to magically improve.  

And in this thread I've already alluded to the fact that Gudbranson had a bad game. No argument there.

I'm not sure why Gudbranson didn't up his physical play in response though. That might have helped somewhat.

Just now, stawns said:

who didn't struggle with it?  I'd guess most teams they play do.  That's called being a contender.  How well did teams and players fare against the 2011 Canucks?  Not very good is the answer.

Don't be so defensive.  Just an observation.  We would have matches up better if we had full complement.  I was impressed with the fight in our dog last night but and encouraged by many things.  A game like that does tend to expose some players and areas of a teams game and our D struggled mightily.  

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And in this thread I've already alluded to the fact that Gudbranson had a bad game. No argument there.

I'm not sure why Gudbranson didn't up his physical play in response though. That might have helped somewhat.

Even though he wasn't very physical, he could still have been a factor in keeping Winnipeg from going down that path.  They can be a punishing lyrics physical team when they choose to but weren't last night.  Maybe the Guddy factor? 

Even though he wasn't very physical, he could still have been a factor in keeping Winnipeg from going down that path.  They can be a punishing lyrics physical team when they choose to but weren't last night.  Maybe the Guddy factor? 

Good point. His mere presence would probably steer some of that away.

Lyrics? Wha? :P

Archived