The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 19, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What would the point be to fire Green right now? Would it make the Canucks a better team? Notice that the losing has happened whilst the team has six roster players on the IR.

Who would the Canucks get? Quennville doesn't want to coach a rebuilding team. Yeo and McLellan were just fired and aren't exactly highly sought after.

To fire Green would be a huge mistake. He's proving to be an excellent coach. If the Canucks were to let him go, that would be five coaches in less than a decade. The optics of that would be disastrous.

They are not anywhere close to firing Green but it would actually be 5 coaches in just over 5 years. AV was fired May 22, 2013 5 1/2 years ago almost to the day. AV, Torts, Willie, Green and ??...No the optics would not be good.

The Jets are great right now..but cap-Hell awaits them. They'd better win it all soon. Big Buff is 33, & will start slowing/wearing down.

- Add 3 mill to Wheeler's cap

- Trouba's probably gonna fly the coop(also RFA in summer)

- Connor & Laine need top dollar, next July

Fortunately, they've drafted/developed well, which should extend their window. Right now, they're lumped with Wash, Nash, & TBay as probable favs.

When healthy, I'd say our boys have proven they can bump off some of these teams(the odd time). There's nothing to hang heads about, we're just not at that stage..yet.

1 minute ago, GritGrinder said:

They are not anywhere close to firing Green but it would actually be 5 coaches in just over 5 years. AV was fired May 22, 2013 5 1/2 years ago almost to the day. AV, Torts, Willie, Green and ??...No the optics would not be good.

Wouldn't be opposed to bringing back AV or going for Quenville... Throw some mad cash at them that they can't reject? 

What the blinking blank is going on in here?

Fire Green?

We have a million injures, most road games in the league and it's supposed to be a rebuild year.

Stop this nonsense and enjoy the ride.

And while I'm at it, Guddy and Rouseel are fine. This team needs the elements that those two bring. 

46 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

This game wasn't all Marky's fault for the loss....but I sure wish he could make the big save once and a while when the game is on the line.

thats kind of what separates the top 10 goalies, of which Marky just isn't. He's a solid backup and/or a guy that can play 35-40 games but he's just never going to be a good starter. It is what it is, there's no reason for people to get upset over him he's not going to suddenly get better. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

thats kind of what separates the top 10 goalies, of which Marky just isn't. He's a solid backup and/or a guy that can play 35-40 games but he's just never going to be a good starter. It is what it is, there's no reason for people to get upset over him he's not going to suddenly get better. 

Agree, cracks appear in Marky's game when he plays too much.  Those cracks don't make him a bad goalie as he has shown he can correct himself with rest.  Just means he's not a clear #1.

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Agree, cracks appear in Marky's game when he plays too much.  Those cracks don't make him a bad goalie as he has shown he can correct himself with rest.  Just means he's not a clear #1.

yup. Its got me wondering tho, Demko isn't ready to be a starter yet so what then? I have to think Benning is going to be looking for another free agent goalie this offseason, unless I suppose Nilsson steps up and surprises everyone. 

Although i suppose they could try going with a Marky-Demko option next year. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup. Its got me wondering tho, Demko isn't ready to be a starter yet so what then? I have to think Benning is going to be looking for another free agent goalie this offseason, unless I suppose Nilsson steps up and surprises everyone. 

Nilsson is fine as a place holder this year.  I'm willing to wait to see how the year pans out before making a decision on goaltending.  If Demko isn't ready, it shouldn't be too hard to find a Nilsson like goalie (or Nilsson again) to play 30-35 games.

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

As long as he keeps letting in easy early goals he is not a starter. 

Not even a good backup. 

35 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Hahahahaha. I forgot that AV was let go two years after 2011.

The Oilers have had 8 coaches in the last 10 years. That's so bad, it's funny.

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Putting your team behind the 8 ball, minute(s) in, based on awful decision making and terrible positioning night after night is what makes Markstrom bad.

I have been calling him Jakob "has a .982sv% after letting in the 1st shot" Markstrom for a few years lol.

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Although i suppose they could try going with a Marky-Demko option next year. 

My hope is that he goes with a veteran goaltender that won't break the bank. Hell, if Miller was interested, I'd love to see him back and share the crease with Demko.

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Hahahahaha. I forgot that AV was let go two years after 2011.

The Oilers have had 8 coaches in the last 10 years. That's so bad, it's funny.

The Oilers are a joke and will be forever 

8 minutes ago, xereau said:

Putting your team behind the 8 ball, minute(s) in, based on awful decision making and terrible positioning night after night is what makes Markstrom bad.

I have been calling him Jakob "has a .982sv% after letting in the 1st shot" Markstrom for a few years lol.

yeah looking at the free agent goalies for next season its kind of bleak on that front too: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/all/goalies

I can't see Bobrovski or Varlamov coming here (nor would I want them on the 6 year deals they'll probably get) and after that we might as well run with Marky-Demko after looking at the rest of the list. 

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My hope is that he goes with a veteran goaltender that won't break the bank. Hell, if Miller was interested, I'd love to see him back and share the crease with Demko.

I posted the list of free agents above. There might be something there but man I don't want to see term with so many of those guys. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I posted the list of free agents above. There might be something there but man I don't want to see term with so many of those guys. 

Miller at 2 years with no NTC would be perfect. Demko could learn from him. Trade the other two.

That being said, Miller will probably want to stay in California.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Miller at 2 years with no NTC would be perfect. Demko could learn from him. Trade the other two.

unless his wife gets a netflix gig up here. You never know :P

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agree, Miller would be perfect for us right now and yes, someone please arrange a job for his wife in Vancouver.

Archived