The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Winnipeg Jets timeline led to Linden's dismissal

Tre Mac

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yeah, they hit every year with their firsts. Except with Stanley. Really scored deep with Helebucyk? But really only have Andrew Copp besides Helebucyk for picks outside the first. Guys like Roslovic & especially Connor, Trouba & Scheifele were great value at their pick. Add not just skill, but speed, and some size to render them hard to play against.

They have not drafted that great outside that? Gustafsson & Dylan Samberg are guys I like from more recent years. And there is noise about Sami Niku.  But he was also supposed to make their roster this year. They really needed a D like him. On an ELC. And he was not ready? (I think he's up with the main club now?  @Monty ?) 

First, don’t forget about Adam Lowry, he was in the 3rd round as well. Then their college signing in Tanev. They also drafted Tucker Poolman, who is definitely ready, but they are going to wait until Myers gets injured again; or, at latest, hand him his walking papers at the end of the season.

As for Niku, he’s ready offensively, but he’s had some gaffs defensively. He’s called up now, because Kulikov won’t ever be healthy.

Eric Comrie is A LOT better than his AHL numbers show. He had an atrocious team in front of him last year. His positioning and rebound control are sensational. The general feeling in Winnipeg about him is that we feel sorry that Hellebuyck turned out, because that’s his hurdle to be a starter for the Jets. He’s either dangled as trade bait this year (unlikely) or is their backup to Hellebuyck next year and used as trade bait before expansion.

Winnipeg was a "good" team before they got Laine, after they lucked out in the draft and moved up, they picked Laine and became a contender.

They would still be middle of the pack without the Finn... and one of the main reasons they lost in the semi-finals was due to Laine disappearing.... they became a middle of the pack team.  Not that the rest of the team didn't play well, but without Laine performing they didn't have the horses.

I think their claims to superior drafting don't stand up.  Only two of their drafts are really exceptional... Mark Schieffle and Connor Hellebuyck.

Then they got lucky in the lottery and it was a no-brainer to pick Laine... who has delivered.

Winnipeg has five great players:  Byfuglien, Wheeler, Schieffle, Laine and Hellebuyck.  Of those, two were with the team before it went to Winnipeg and one was a lucky draw.  That means not counting the year Laine was delivered on a plate, they picked well on two of seven tries.

Despite the horredous FA signings and bad trades everything would be okay had they just made some obvious picks like Matthew Tkachuk in 2016 and stockpiled some draft picks for Brackett.

Whoever thought drafting Juolevi over some of the players available should be fired on the spot.

Right now the forward core has 3 legit high-end pieces and probably need's 1 more elite winger. Center core is set IMO with EP/Horvat/Gaudette. Adding a Kakko would be massive. Lot's of depth at forward in the system. 

D-core is a mess, have one elite prospect in Hughes and then a bunch of depth longshots. Should be the main concern going forward.

Overall should take 3-4 more years before we could make some noise as long as they don't butcher anymore top 10 picks. (Just let Brackett have full control and final say)

17 hours ago, xereau said:

The Hobey Baker Award winner drafted in the 5th round isn't deep draft success?  Come on...

Granlund for Shinkaruk?  Total win.  Most flexible forward on the team, for a nobody.

Gudbranson for McCann? Total win.  McCann is floundering.  Guddy is showing us why he was picked so high.

Burrow for Dahlen?  Potential core star for a guy that retired 12 months later?  LOL.

Horvat's contract is quickly becoming the top value deal in the whole league.

Benning isn't perfect but come on man...

You’re wasting your time... haters will hate...

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Winnipeg was a "good" team before they got Laine, after they lucked out in the draft and moved up, they picked Laine and became a contender.

They would still be middle of the pack without the Finn... and one of the main reasons they lost in the semi-finals was due to Laine disappearing.... they became a middle of the pack team.  Not that the rest of the team didn't play well, but without Laine performing they didn't have the horses.

I think their claims to superior drafting don't stand up.  Only two of their drafts are really exceptional... Mark Schieffle and Connor Hellebuyck.

Then they got lucky in the lottery and it was a no-brainer to pick Laine... who has delivered.

Winnipeg has five great players:  Byfuglien, Wheeler, Schieffle, Laine and Hellebuyck.  Of those, two were with the team before it went to Winnipeg and one was a lucky draw.  That means not counting the year Laine was delivered on a plate, they picked well on two of seven tries.

What about the guy that would have won the Calder last year if it wasn’t for Barzal and Boeser?  He’s part of that elite core now too right?

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yeah but all of their first rounders have become an NHLer as either a top 6 or top 4D.

I think that is superior drafting.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

What about the guy that would have won the Calder last year if it wasn’t for Barzal and Boeser?  He’s part of that elite core now too right?

Also Morrissey, who’s their most consistently solid defenseman.

The Jets are the result of great drafting, but also terrific development.

13 minutes ago, Monty said:

Also Morrissey, who’s their most consistently solid defenseman.

The Jets are the result of great drafting, but also terrific development.

THN has been predicting WNP ascension for years, a few years ago claiming they would be cup contenders starting this year.  They have a ranking system based on average draft position or ADP thay analyzes each teams prospects and under 21 ers.  Guess they nailed that one. Conner is currently on a run too.

JB drafting has been all right but could have done better . Three picks I wanted were Ehlers, Tkachuk and Hague  And said wtf when we drafted the players we did draft Virtanen , Juolevi and Lind. Other than that JB is batting above average.  Pastrnak  instead of McCann would have been hind sight .I think JB was leaning toward a center.

On 11/20/2018 at 7:41 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wonder how the Jets would look had they not fluked out landing the 2nd overall pick in 2016. Just sayin'.

The Atlanta thrashers only made the playoffs once in there 12 years as a franchise. Jets just have made it twice in 5 years. That franchise has been bad for very long. That's why they now have a great team. Years and years of poor hockey. Like Toronto who did not make the play offs for years. Not sure why people think jets did a good job in rebuilding. That franchise took 17 years to get where they are at now. Not a model anybody should be after..lol They better be where they are at now over the amount of years they were in the bottom of the pack. 

29 minutes ago, Krzysl said:

The Atlanta thrashers only made the playoffs once in there 12 years as a franchise. Jets just have made it twice. That franchise has been bad for very long. That's why they now have a great team. Years and years of poor hockey. Like Toronto who did not make the play offs for year. Not sure why people think jets did a good job in rebuilding. That's franchise took 17 years to get where they are at now. Not a model anybody should be after..lol They better be whee they are at now over the amount of years they were in the bottom of the pack. 

Also.....Did I miss something here or did the Jets win the Stanley Cup without me knowing it? Didn't they get knocked out of the playoffs by an expansion team last year? :lol:

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

JB drafting has been all right but could have done better . Three picks I wanted were Ehlers, Tkachuk and Hague  And said wtf when we drafted the players we did draft Virtanen , Juolevi and Lind. Other than that JB is batting above average.  Pastrnak  instead of McCann would have been hind sight .I think JB was leaning toward a center.

Until some of Bennings later picks get on the roster and make an impact his batting average is in question.  Personally I think Lind was a prudent pick, at the draft he was predicted to go in the low twenties, essentially we drafted a guy who was supposed to go in the first round on almost all lists, and JG near the end of the first round on some lists too.  It might end up becoming his best year but we won’t know for a few more years.  Jonah looked good in a few games I saw live, he’s faster already and looks like a 28 year veteran too.  He was used on the third line and got some good looks, and was using his size well.  

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:29 AM, xereau said:

This is all just speculation.  But it kind of does make sense, if its true.

Linden was apparently going around the draft for a few years asking various teams' brass for tips and tricks on how to build a franchise.

Is this how you build a business at the highest level of an industry?  Go around and openly admit you know squat about being at the top of an industry to your direct competition?

I bet this noob behavior, if its actually true, truly pissed Mr. Aquilini right off.

I have to agree with you.  If I were an owner, or management and if any rival comes to me for any advice or tips, I would not give anything to him, just give him a different strategy that I know it will not work.  That what I would do, and keep all strategy to myself for win at all cost.  I wouldn't give away anything that is working to my enemy.   I want to build a dynasty, and why should I give anything away?   Linden should not have done that, imho.   Maybe Linden could have gave away some of his strategies to other teams if he were to eye a certain players for tips in return so I wouldn't be happy if I were an owner or the GM.   If I were him, looking for any help, hire someone that is experienced or conduct an interview to pick a brain here or there.   No sane person would go around the draft and asking for tips and advices.  

Where does Willes come up with this 4 year timeline?

That's daft wadr.

The Jets drafted Scheiffele (7th overall) -  (and Lowry) in 2011.

Trouba (13) and Hellebuyck in 2012.

Those were a pair of seasons with top 10 picks.  That's pretty much 'rebuild' territory fwiw.

Morrissey, Copp, Petan in 13

Ehlers (9) in 2014.  Was that when the 'timeline' allegedly started?

Connor, Roslovic 2015.....Laine 16.

Is there anything about that article that actually makes sense?

Archived