Sign in to follow this  
Canuckster86

[Discussion] Cory Schneider

Recommended Posts

Interesting topic, I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago, wondering which proven number one that’s had a hard stretch that we could trade for as an upgrade to groom Demko.  Heck at this point I’d even go after Miller or Luongo.   Not sure if it’s the systems or just the goalie, but Markstroms having a tough go so far this year despite what appeared to be some improvements early on.  That one soft goal early on puts the team in the hole and often is a difference maker in the third period which he’s shown some improvement on.   At this point it would be nice just to have a goalie that can get his four shutouts a year, you know win games all on his own which is a key thing you’d expect from your starter.  Bigger isn’t necessarily better when it comes to these guys...37th in SP for guys that have played more than 8 games isn’t exactly starter quality goaltending, nearly .50 below Rinne who leads the pack. 

Edited by IBatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Interesting topic, I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago, wondering which proven number one that’s had a hard stretch that we could trade for as an upgrade to groom Demko.  Heck at this point I’d even go after Miller or Luongo.   Not sure if it’s the systems or just the goalie, but Markstroms having a tough go so far this year despite what appeared to be some improvements early on.  That one soft goal early on puts the team in the hole and often is a difference maker in the third period which he’s shown some improvement on.   At this point it would be nice just to have a goalie that can get his four shutouts a year, you know win games all on his own which is a key thing you’d expect from your starter.  Bigger isn’t necessarily better when it comes to these guys...37th in SP for guys that have played more than 8 games isn’t exactly starter quality goaltending, nearly .50 below Rinne who leads the pack. 

marky has been a lot more consistant this year VS previous years in my opinion. We have never really gone back to retreads players before so I dont see it happening now. But Schneider would be a nice G to have for Demko for sure. Also gives the fans a familar face they liked and cheered for. PLUS, he is a proven #1 and has stood on his head as that guy. We don't have that type of G now.

 

It would be a risk for us, but it would have to be the right kind of deal

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

marky has been a lot more consistant this year VS previous years in my opinion. We have never really gone back to retreads players before so I dont see it happening now. But Schneider would be a nice G to have for Demko for sure. Also gives the fans a familar face they liked and cheered for. PLUS, he is a proven #1 and has stood on his head as that guy. We don't have that type of G now.

 

It would be a risk for us, but it would have to be the right kind of deal

You bet.  I also think Markstrom has shown signs of improvement, particularly on the first goal of the game syndrome that seemed to be a mental block or some sort, but don’t think he’s good enough to be a starter.   Schneider might be easy to acquire with his injuries and contract size, they might take Markstom straight up just for the cap wiggle room.  I’m ok with leaving it for the season though, we need the best odds we can get on the upcoming draft, and can always look for something else to start next year.  The losing sucks for the guys I’m sure and there is plenty of blame to go around, management needs to be careful we don’t slide into EDM territory where it gets bred into the culture, finding a better goalie would be a wise move at some point, this summer makes sense for a lot of reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If NJ is desperate to unload salary it may be a solid gamble to "weaponize the cap space" if they really want to lose salary.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's 32 and hasn't been playing like he did when he was here in front of a good team. Add to that: we don't have a good team yet. 

 

You really want him back? There's a slim chance he'll come back to form here but I think he'd just be another Markstrom or Nilsson for us at this point. He's been playing about at that level, if not worse.

 

A trip down memory lane does not bring the past into the present. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Lock said:

He's 32 and hasn't been playing like he did when he was here in front of a good team. Add to that: we don't have a good team yet. 

 

You really want him back? There's a slim chance he'll come back to form here but I think he'd just be another Markstrom or Nilsson for us at this point. He's been playing about at that level, if not worse.

How smart was ?Gillis to trade Schneider and get us Bo?  Loui is still great, and Schneider is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alflives said:

How smart was ?Gillis to trade Schneider and get us Bo?  Loui is still great, and Schneider is done.

Well, here's the thing. I'm not sold on that either. I think Schneider could have easily still been good here, and he has had a couple of decent seasons in NJ. It's really hard to speculate on it as it would have been a totally different scenario for him had he stayed here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its not about going down memory lane. I think Schneider can be a better goalie infront of a not so good team like us VS Marky. Marky has done decent but I think we have seen his max ceiling. Schneider could  get back to a higher level.

 

Yes there is risk, that is why it would be a buy low type of deal. It would be ideal for them to retain salary or at worst take back some of our  not so nice salary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

its not about going down memory lane. I think Schneider can be a better goalie infront of a not so good team like us VS Marky. Marky has done decent but I think we have seen his max ceiling. Schneider could  get back to a higher level.

 

Yes there is risk, that is why it would be a buy low type of deal. It would be ideal for them to retain salary or at worst take back some of our  not so nice salary

And I'm saying Schneider is not what he once was and that you will likely be disappointed when you realise he's not in front of Marky (thus, the memory lane statement). Not only that, but he's being paid 6mil per season. That's Marky and Nilsson's salary combined. That's more cap hit we had than with Luongo. Having Schneider and Marky could potentially mean we can't sign one of our young players. You want to be able to sign Boeser, Pettersson, Quinn, and whoever else don't you?

 

The risk isn't even a small risk, it's a big risk. The chance of him being GOOD is minimal. That's the problem. All of this while being paid the salary of Markstrom and Nilsson combined. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 50+ other goalie options that would be better than bringing Schneider back with all of this accounted for. 

 

The only reason why I could see us doing this would be to provide NJ a favour to take Schneider's cap hit in return for something else, but we'd have to be getting something else good back in return; otherwise, it's simply not worth it for us.

Edited by The Lock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't understand why anybody would think Schneider is a useful piece of the puzzle anymore. When he played here, he had a pretty good team in front of him and made big saves when he needed to. Now he doesn't have nearly as good a team and doesn't make the big saves anymore. Why would you pay a guy 18 million over three more years when he is roughly equal to or less than the guys we already have and are paying a heck of a lot less? Here's some friendly advice from someone who is older than dirt and younger than water: don't let what has happened in the past fool you into thinking it can be that way in the future. Nothing great was ever discovered by watching where you've been instead of looking where you were going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.