The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Trade Matthews

I'm no fan of the Maple Leaves..but some of us like to play armchair GM. So I ask the question..Would it be wise to deal this guy now(Everest peak value)?

Consider:

- Their coming cap-crunch, & Matthews has had injuries

- Tavares has meshed so well with Marner

- Matthews potential value in US markets

- Ability to transfer their fwd wealth, into D-man depth

- Still can add Nylander, in addition to haul from Matthews trade

- They'll have to PAY AM 11 or 12 mill, next summer

TOR: Matthews, 1 more player(Holl, Leivo, A Johnsson or Lindholm..basically a 1 mill $ contract)

Trade ideas for 3 US teams..all out west, to have the guy out of Conf

ARIZ: OEL, Keller, Crouse, 2019 2nd r pick, 2020 1st r pick*(conditional on Matthews health. eg 60 gp next season)

StL: ROR(1 mill retained), Parayko, Robert Thomas  ...AAV: about 13 mill cap hit(StLouis takes Hainsey, for cap-consideration)

ANA:  Rakell, Josh Manson, Sam Steel, 2020 1st R pick  ..AAV: about 9 mill

What about these values? Which deal is best?

• Upvote 1

St Louis, but I absolutely love Parayko.  Anaheim likely has too many of their own cap issues to make a deal giving up their cheap, young players.  OEL has a NMC and doesn't really address the Leafs biggest problem, which is a defensive group full of pylons incapable of actually playing defense.  OEL isn't going to be able to cover up for Reilly stinking it up in his own zone.  He's not the defensive liability that Reilly is, but he's sure as hell not going to solve the problems the Leafs have defensively. 

Blues trade actually makes a lot of sense.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

1991-92NordiquesB.jpg

Even younger, and a clear win for the Nords/Avs.

I'd argue they would've won nothing if not for the stupidity of the Habs GM.  IMHO, no Patrick Roy, no Cups (Floppa, as great as he was [not that Burnaby Joe was chopped liver either], can't play goalie).

• Upvote 2

Then the Fleas deal Gardiner, simply to dump cap(perhaps land a 2nd &/or 3rd).

IF the StLoo deal, they should deal Nylander too!

I think a top team, with a stellar top-4 D is easier to maintain under the cap. Your top 4 D control the ice for 48 mins out of 60. If I were GM with such options, I'd try to transfer lots of your elite talent to the back end.

39 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

1991-92NordiquesB.jpg

Even younger, and a clear win for the Nords/Avs.

The cap makes it very difficult to pull off a deal of the magnitude of that Lindros trade. The impetus for the trade always was the player's reluctance to play for the franchise. I don't see that being the case with Matthews. He has talent around him, a large market where he can grow his brand and gain endorsements. 

40 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Then the Fleas deal Gardiner, simply to dump cap(perhaps land a 2nd &/or 3rd).

IF the StLoo deal, they should deal Nylander too!

I think a top team, with a stellar top-4 D is easier to maintain under the cap. Your top 4 D control the ice for 48 mins out of 60. If I were GM with such options, I'd try to transfer lots of your elite talent to the back end.

IMO, Arizona or Florida Panthers would exceed value in order to land Matthews.

Florida would probably be, IMO, the best possible trade partner for the leafs. They have Ekblad, Huberd-oh(however the f you spell in French), Hoffman, Barkov...

I'm sure the leafs would love Ekblad, couple of wingers and a first...

Edit- hypothetical speaking of course

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1

Nux, I think you are underestimating Matthews' value on the trade market. The compensation for signing a RFA at $11M would be 4 1st round picks and I think that is where you would have to peg Matthews' value. I don't believe any of the proposed trades would be of equivalent value to this and I would suggest Toronto would not do any of these deals. The St. Louis offfer would be the best in my estimation but I think you would still have to add a 1st or 2nd to get Toronto to bite.

well i think matthews being moved

it likely the highest non event on the laffs agenda

they will not trade him ..

anyone but him

but if it were to happen, matthews has to go to a large market

or his value will be wasted...

kings are in dire straits, but a big market

they have a #1 defender laffs likely covet

and can include what will likely be a very high 1st round draft pick in 2019

maybe another piece has to be added as well (and a small cap retention by kings as well)

given the age difference between the 2 players

and that matthews is viewed as being near generational

28 minutes ago, luckylager said:

IMO, Arizona or Florida Panthers would exceed value in order to land Matthews.

Florida would probably be, IMO, the best possible trade partner for the leafs. They have Ekblad, Huberd-oh(however the f you spell in French), Hoffman, Barkov...

I'm sure the leafs would love Ekblad, couple of wingers and a first...

Edit- hypothetical speaking of course

Too risky to trade such a player within division. Would have to go west.

29 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Nux, I think you are underestimating Matthews' value on the trade market. The compensation for signing a RFA at $11M would be 4 1st round picks and I think that is where you would have to peg Matthews' value. I don't believe any of the proposed trades would be of equivalent value to this and I would suggest Toronto would not do any of these deals. The St. Louis offfer would be the best in my estimation but I think you would still have to add a 1st or 2nd to get Toronto to bite.

Could be, RB. Truth is, these top kids get dealt so rarely(in ELC yrs) you have to rewind decades(like Lindros deal) to find comparables. Then it's apple/orange, with no cap back then.

I'll also confess to watching far fewer Flea games than most hockey fans might. Even still, gotta confess that Marner is one Helluva' player! Can't see how they'll shoehorn all these riches into the glass slipper, thus dreamt up this thread! :^)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1