The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Trade Matthews

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Too risky to trade such a player within division. Would have to go west.

NFA, you're asking for discussion in the OP.

I think you'll find a very short list of GM's in a position to, or willing to make a trade of that magnitude.

I'm not sold on the idea that division makes or breaks a trade, especially one involving multiple superstars / stars. 

It's what, 4 or 5 games a year? 

Teams change / alter their systems to suit their star players and play to their strengths. 

Florida has the cajones and assets to make a trade like that happen. That's all I was getting at, for discussion sakes.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

NFA, you're asking for discussion in the OP.

I think you'll find a very short list of GM's in a position to, or willing to make a trade of that magnitude.

I'm not sold on the idea that division makes or breaks a trade, especially one involving multiple superstars / stars. 

It's what, 4 or 5 games a year? 

Teams change / alter their systems to suit their star players and play to their strengths. 

Florida has the cajones and assets to make a trade like that happen. That's all I was getting at, for discussion sakes.

Oh yeah, & they've got some decent pieces to offer.

The darn Fleas are in a good spot. They bring back that hometown star(Tavares), no cost to obtain. To me, that makes a fwd expendable. Imagine the StLoo deal, where they add two more star fwds(Ontario boys), to add with names like Marner & Kadri. They can probably convince all them kids to take a lower cap hit, & keep it intact.

Ekblad would be the same thing.

I'm basically arguing here that dealing AM AND Nylander, to make a monster-deep, D-line could be a mighty smart move.

• Cheers 1

In Toronto, Matthews is the saviour. 

Not one chance. 

When hes on the ice, may as well be Crosby.

But ok I’ll play.

VAN

Matthews

TOR

Horvat

Gudbranson

Hughes

1st

2nd

Would I do this deal? 

no.

No I would not.

Edited by Me_

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Pretty sure Toronto's management would be crucified if they traded Matthews. 

Hate to admit..but look how well they're faring without the guy. Can't compare it to say(early Lemieux) cos Pitt had nothing besides him(mid-80's). Now look at Gretz when Edmonton were deeper. Dealt him, AND still won another Cup!

The 80's are a poor comparable(with no cap), but it could be argued TO could set up their future, while staying competitive & cap-friendly...

Yeah, make an investment in Tavares, but trade Matthews after...that's the way to go <_<

Toronto might be deeper with these trades, but that won't guarantee them a cup in the short term.  By trading Matthews their shorten their Stanley Cup windows to a few years only.  If they keep him, they should be contenders for the next 7-10 years.

Ask yourself, in a year or two, would you trade EP for these packages (or at all)?  Same answer for Toronto.

Edited by timberz21
  • Wat 1

11 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm no fan of the Maple Leaves..but some of us like to play armchair GM. So I ask the question..Would it be wise to deal this guy now(Everest peak value)?

Consider:

- Their coming cap-crunch, & Matthews has had injuries

- Tavares has meshed so well with Marner

- Matthews potential value in US markets

- Ability to transfer their fwd wealth, into D-man depth

- Still can add Nylander, in addition to haul from Matthews trade

- They'll have to PAY AM 11 or 12 mill, next summer

TOR: Matthews, 1 more player(Holl, Leivo, A Johnsson or Lindholm..basically a 1 mill $ contract)

Trade ideas for 3 US teams..all out west, to have the guy out of Conf

ARIZ: OEL, Keller, Crouse, 2019 2nd r pick, 2020 1st r pick*(conditional on Matthews health. eg 60 gp next season)

StL: ROR(1 mill retained), Parayko, Robert Thomas  ...AAV: about 13 mill cap hit(StLouis takes Hainsey, for cap-consideration)

ANA:  Rakell, Josh Manson, Sam Steel, 2020 1st R pick  ..AAV: about 9 mill

What about these values? Which deal is best?

All three of those deals is better for the Leafs on paper than one AM...

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm no fan of the Maple Leaves..but some of us like to play armchair GM. So I ask the question..Would it be wise to deal this guy now(Everest peak value)?

Consider:

- Their coming cap-crunch, & Matthews has had injuries

- Tavares has meshed so well with Marner

- Matthews potential value in US markets

- Ability to transfer their fwd wealth, into D-man depth

- Still can add Nylander, in addition to haul from Matthews trade

- They'll have to PAY AM 11 or 12 mill, next summer

TOR: Matthews, 1 more player(Holl, Leivo, A Johnsson or Lindholm..basically a 1 mill $ contract)

Trade ideas for 3 US teams..all out west, to have the guy out of Conf

ARIZ: OEL, Keller, Crouse, 2019 2nd r pick, 2020 1st r pick*(conditional on Matthews health. eg 60 gp next season)

StL: ROR(1 mill retained), Parayko, Robert Thomas  ...AAV: about 13 mill cap hit(StLouis takes Hainsey, for cap-consideration)

ANA:  Rakell, Josh Manson, Sam Steel, 2020 1st R pick  ..AAV: about 9 mill

What about these values? Which deal is best?

If I am Arizona I'd just offer sheet him.  Four first round draft picks is less to give up than that package plus it screws the leafs over more.  Doubt it will happen though. 

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Trading Matthews makes sense. Especially with Marner looking like a 90-100 pt player and Tavares being Tavares. They should be able to sign Nylander with relative ease as well.

But any return package should include a #1 defenceman for the Leafs to consider it. Is Parayko and Manson true #1? My subjective opinion says they are not there yet. I think only OEL as #1 Dman in the list.

I doubt the Leafs' management has the balls to pull off such move anyways.

• Cheers 1

Just for kix(GM cap wedged firmly on my noggin)...

Deal 1 : Gardiner..punted, anywhere.   Return, a 2nd 2019; & conditional(performance based) 2020 pick(gotta get away from THAT last playoff memory!)

Deal 2: Nylander to RAGS.  Return: Brady Skjei & a 2020 2nd, perhaps another pick?(value unsure?)

Deal 3: Matthews, Lindholm & Zaitsev

StLoo: RoRly??, Thomas, Parayko

last deal! (deal 4): Grundstrom, TO 2019 1st, NYR 2nd to... Vancouver, for Christopher Tanev! :^0

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Marleau - ROR - Kapanen

Johnson - Kadri - Brown

Ennis - Gauthier - Leivo

13th- Robert Thomas!

^Let's be honest, Cdn hockey fans would really get behind a home-grown, fwd group like that. Potent C depth, & only 1 real contract-signing to worry about.

Reilly - Tanev

Skjei - Parayko

Dermott - Ozhighanov

mobile D with some size & offense. Lillegren still to come

- With only Marner to sign, that cast could be kept intact for many yrs. Still 2 2019 2nds, & a top prospect(Thomas) added.

I think this roster could topple TBay, or Washington.

I wonder if Shamalamadingdong has approached ARI to trade Matthews for OEL. Leafs could still use better D, and with OEL they would win the Cup. I'm assuming Chayka would say "no thanks".

to TOR - Tanev, Horvat, Gagner and a 3rd

to VAN - Matthews

ONT boys can play at home, like Johnny T.

16 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if Shamalamadingdong has approached ARI to trade Matthews for OEL. Leafs could still use better D, and with OEL they would win the Cup. I'm assuming Chayka would say "no thanks".

to TOR - Tanev, Horvat, Gagner and a 3rd

to VAN - Matthews

ONT boys can play at home, like Johnny T.

You cannot trade scraps for a franchise center. Dubas would hang up faster than you could say everything you wish to trade back.

• Upvote 1

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Trade Matthews
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah..hockey NEEDS this deal to occur. I can't stomach another 12~15 mos of media/TML zombie-zealots hand wringing over the Maple Laffs cap-conundrum. Especially in a world on the cusp of major currencies going on par with tp...

Okay. Let's get one thing straight here. If you are suggesting they trade away Matthews because of the Media's antics, you do realise they would have to get someone good back in return and, if not this year, the EXACT SAME antics will probably happen next year or the year after, or hey, probably whenever someone's contract is on the line, so probably the next 10 years....

Actually, throw in an entire year of discussion (probably more) about the Matthews trade, non stop!

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Okay. Let's get one thing straight here. If you are suggesting they trade away Matthews because of the Media's antics, you do realise they would have to get someone good back in return and, if not this year, the EXACT SAME antics will probably happen next year or the year after, or hey, probably whenever someone's contract is on the line, so probably the next 10 years....

Actually, throw in an entire year of discussion (probably more) about the Matthews trade, non stop!

By jove..we may have both just discovered the sheer redundance of sports journalism?!

• Haha 1