The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Path of Exile

xereau

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I keep stopping at the character creation screen because i dont know what class/build i want to go with!  

What skill type do you like in these games?

If Melee, probably want to go with Marauder. Or Duelist.

If Spells, probably want Templar or Witch.

If Bows, probably want Ranger.

But you can do any skill with any class, if you want.  Some are better than others.

Each class can specialize, its called Ascension.  Each sub class has a particular strength.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ascendancy_class

This league was all about spell overhaul.

In all honesty, I would go with Fireball (witch gets its right off the start).

Get Elemental Proliferation (spreads burns around).

Go for the fire damage nodes in the tree above and top left.

GET LOTS OF LIFE.  Go down into scion wheel. Go down into Templar area too.  For both damage and life.

By level 90 you want around 200% life from the tree.  And you want to get life, resists, and fire damage, spell crit, spell damage on gear.

Trading is clunky on console, apparently. But its doable.  have fun.

I've played a lot of builds, and I haven't even scratched the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

• Thanks 1

@Xereau

Thanks pal!   Great tips.  When I play games Im as much about looks/feel/style of play as I am about actual damage etc.

I think I would really enjoy having a kick ass summoner going back to my days as necromancer in Diablo II

I REALLY wish there was a gender option for character creation.  Nothing against female characters at all (loved my sorceress or amazon in D2) but I kind of want a male character to start.  Could I do the fire build you refer to with a Templar?  

I dont know how active Id be in the trading market, which I hear is necessary for certain builds/getting certain items.  What would you recommend for for a starter that can farm items themselves?  Im going to get started on my character today I think!!!

Woot!!

12 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

@Xereau

Thanks pal!   Great tips.  When I play games Im as much about looks/feel/style of play as I am about actual damage etc.

I think I would really enjoy having a kick ass summoner going back to my days as necromancer in Diablo II

I REALLY wish there was a gender option for character creation.  Nothing against female characters at all (loved my sorceress or amazon in D2) but I kind of want a male character to start.  Could I do the fire build you refer to with a Templar?  

I dont know how active Id be in the trading market, which I hear is necessary for certain builds/getting certain items.  What would you recommend for for a starter that can farm items themselves?  Im going to get started on my character today I think!!!

Woot!!

Yeah you can do a burn build with a Templar.  Witch works nicely because she gets a free proliferation perk in her Ascendency tree.  This means, instead of having to use a linked socket connected to fireball, it just happens.  And then, this socket can be used for a much more damaging support gem.

If you want to go summoner, Templar is a VERY good choice.  You can make a battle summoner.  And then Ascend into Guardian.

I actually played this very hard 2 leagues ago.  I made several quick vids on it.

Follow this tree, the gear (if you can) and the links, and you will be off to the races.

The main skill is Dominating Blow.  Summons minions if killed within a half second of hitting them or so.

I put Dom Blow in a special ring that you will almost surely not find if solo self found.  But you can put it in one of the other items and lose those links.

VERY strong build btw.

The POB link is a program called "Path of Building" which allows you to check out builds offline, and you can theory craft there too.

I think this build would be PERFECT for console.  Not alot of maintenance spells etc.

• Thanks 1

@xereau

thank you again for being so helpful.  I was honestly stuck on the character creation screen for a couple of days now but thanks to you, templar summoner it is!

really excited, and once I can get this character up to speed and doing well, hopefully I can start acquiring stuff for a Ranger build which Id love to do.  

2 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

@xereau

thank you again for being so helpful.  I was honestly stuck on the character creation screen for a couple of days now but thanks to you, templar summoner it is!

really excited, and once I can get this character up to speed and doing well, hopefully I can start acquiring stuff for a Ranger build which Id love to do.  

In the options, look for NeverSink loot filters.  Unsure how many come with the console.  If there are multiples, use like #2 or #3.

Loot filters will make currency, and the good bases stand out so you dont miss them in the loot explosions.

The ultra strict filter will basically only show a few uniques, currency, and maybe only the highest tier rare bases.

Edited by xereau
  • Thanks 1

I started a witch. Got her to around 20. 

A few issues im having....

1) having problems telling which sockets are which color. Not sure if its because im color defective (those colors are not the colors i have issues with), or because everything is sooooooo small

2) it kinda throws you into the deep end. Not much in the way of explanation with things like the memory paths quest. No idea what im supposed to do other than rush around clicking the doohickeys before the black goo gets me. 

3) my good gawd there is soooo much loot. What is good? What is bad? Tried picking it all up to sell, not feasible. Spent twenty minutes going back and forth to a waypoint for...some pieces of stuff? Is it good stuff?  In the end i just started picking up scrolls and coloured items (also issue with telling item quality its so small), and picking up certain items. “Ok left yeah, that item.  No not the maul fuuuuuu....! Ok right this time oh ffs no not the god damned bow i want that effing belt jeebus!”

On 4/2/2019 at 6:24 AM, Tre Mac said:

I tried it for ps4, seems pretty good for being free.  Reminds me of Gauntlet back in the day.  Made it to level 5 as a duelist.  When do you get a refund for skill points?

You get respec points for some quests.  And you find currency called Regret Orbs that lets you unbuy one point.  And lol @ asking about respeccing at L5!

On 3/29/2019 at 12:03 AM, MystifyNCrucify said:

1) having problems telling which sockets are which color. Not sure if its because im color defective (those colors are not the colors i have issues with), or because everything is sooooooo small

2) it kinda throws you into the deep end. Not much in the way of explanation with things like the memory paths quest. No idea what im supposed to do other than rush around clicking the doohickeys before the black goo gets me. 

3) my good gawd there is soooo much loot. What is good? What is bad? Tried picking it all up to sell, not feasible. Spent twenty minutes going back and forth to a waypoint for...some pieces of stuff? Is it good stuff?  In the end i just started picking up scrolls and coloured items (also issue with telling item quality its so small), and picking up certain items. “Ok left yeah, that item.  No not the maul fuuuuuu....! Ok right this time oh ffs no not the god damned bow i want that effing belt jeebus!”

Look in the options for Loot Filter, and use a more strict filter (NeverSink is a community member that makes loot filters for the devs).

The decay in the memory things is dumb.  I don't like it.  But its what this league is.  Its gotten so much flack, it will not be put into core game, and if it is, its going to be pared down massively before so.  You arent supposed to get them all completed. No one does.  But ya you just scramble and try.  The memory Nexus is kind of neat.  You can path around to set islands with a whole bunch of different rewards.  And theres boss fights that appear too.  There might be color blind support in the options. I dunno.

Edited by xereau

10 hours ago, xereau said:

You get respec points for some quests.  And you find currency called Regret Orbs that lets you unbuy one point.  And lol @ asking about respeccing at L5!

To be fair I was just looking at the skill tree and it said 0 refund points.  I got 2 from a quest and picked a build online so I'll just follow that.  One thing I don't get is I got the orb to change the socket color but it wont let me use it.  Also why do they only give you two colors of gems to buy?  And finally why can't I dual wield anymore?  It let me do it for a bit then I socketed the weapons and now I can't.

On 3/29/2019 at 12:03 AM, MystifyNCrucify said:

I don't know either but you get some sweet loot doing those.  

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

To be fair I was just looking at the skill tree and it said 0 refund points.  I got 2 from a quest and picked a build online so I'll just follow that.  One thing I don't get is I got the orb to change the socket color but it wont let me use it.  Also why do they only give you two colors of gems to buy?  And finally why can't I dual wield anymore?  It let me do it for a bit then I socketed the weapons and now I can't.

I don't know either but you get some sweet loot doing those.  

You probably put a 2 hand weapon in.  can't dual weild a 2 hand weapon.  You should be able to use CHROMATIC ORB on anything with sockets.  Also, think of duelist and where it is on the tree.  Its between the Marauder (pure red class) and Ranger (pure green class).  Duelist is a hybid, red green.  That being said, you can use anything you want with it.  As for the gems, you will find some on the ground.  Also, in act 4 there is a quest in the Library, once complete the guy that gives it to you (a ghost named Siosa) will sell you any gem in the game (up to that point).  Once you are in Act 6, the woman merchant will sell you every single gem in the game.  She is also in the Epilogue at the very end of the game.  Keep in mind that using blue gems takes Intelligence.  Its not that easy to get as a Duelist. You might need it on jewelry, or to path higher up for some Int nodes.  Good idea following a build.  As you can see the tree is super large, but its also fairly common sense. You want lots of life (eventually), a lots of damage clusters for the skill/weapon type you are using.  A lot of people get side tracked going too far on the tree, not getting enough life nodes, and getting too many smaller effect, or support type effect nodes.  The whole endgame is based around min/max, you want to hone your character down to a fine tuned killing machine.  Don't be afraid to try other classes too.  Witch Winter Orb looks to be very console friendly.  Charge up a skill, and run and it pelts stuff as you run.  Gotta recharge is every 10 seconds or something.  Glad to see people trying the game!  Also, check out Twitch and watch streamers.  Many will answer noob questions.  Its a very good community. They were noobs too once, and the game is... large.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, xereau said:

You probably put a 2 hand weapon in.  can't dual weild a 2 hand weapon.  You should be able to use CHROMATIC ORB on anything with sockets.  Also, think of duelist and where it is on the tree.  Its between the Marauder (pure red class) and Ranger (pure green class).  Duelist is a hybid, red green.  That being said, you can use anything you want with it.  As for the gems, you will find some on the ground.  Also, in act 4 there is a quest in the Library, once complete the guy that gives it to you (a ghost named Siosa) will sell you any gem in the game (up to that point).  Once you are in Act 6, the woman merchant will sell you every single gem in the game.  She is also in the Epilogue at the very end of the game.  Keep in mind that using blue gems takes Intelligence.  Its not that easy to get as a Duelist. You might need it on jewelry, or to path higher up for some Int nodes.  Good idea following a build.  As you can see the tree is super large, but its also fairly common sense. You want lots of life (eventually), a lots of damage clusters for the skill/weapon type you are using.  A lot of people get side tracked going too far on the tree, not getting enough life nodes, and getting too many smaller effect, or support type effect nodes.  The whole endgame is based around min/max, you want to hone your character down to a fine tuned killing machine.  Don't be afraid to try other classes too.  Witch Winter Orb looks to be very console friendly.  Charge up a skill, and run and it pelts stuff as you run.  Gotta recharge is every 10 seconds or something.  Glad to see people trying the game!  Also, check out Twitch and watch streamers.  Many will answer noob questions.  Its a very good community. They were noobs too once, and the game is... large.

Thanks, never bothered to notice the skill tree with regards to hybrids and what not, that makes sense why I can't get no blue gems.  As far as dual wielding I got a gold/yellow mace and I use a skill that requires a mace, I then got a slightly better sword and was dual wielding fine until I couldn't use that skill anymore so I switched back and there is no option to equip off-hand anymore.  Oh well, I guess they'll be obsolete soon anyways.  They're one handers though, that I know.   I did try a Shadow and he uses more magic than anything and already he clears stuff faster than my duelist.   I wish you could switch the genders up on the classes. I refuse to play a female character lol.  

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Thanks, never bothered to notice the skill tree with regards to hybrids and what not, that makes sense why I can't get no blue gems.  As far as dual wielding I got a gold/yellow mace and I use a skill that requires a mace, I then got a slightly better sword and was dual wielding fine until I couldn't use that skill anymore so I switched back and there is no option to equip off-hand anymore.  Oh well, I guess they'll be obsolete soon anyways.  They're one handers though, that I know.   I did try a Shadow and he uses more magic than anything and already he clears stuff faster than my duelist.   I wish you could switch the genders up on the classes. I refuse to play a female character lol.  

They changed the dual wield rules recently.  Last league.  People used to stick items with awesome global stats in them in the offhand, that normally couldn't be used with the skill you are using.. say like a mace in offhand, when you are using a skill that requires a sword, or dagger. That way you only would attack with mainhand, and get the global benefits of the item in offhand (was called Stat Stick).  The devs completely squashed it, so now you can not do this.   I suspect that this is what is going on here.  What's your main skill gem?  Read the gem description carefully for weapon type.  Try equipping two of the weapon(s) they say is for the skill.  Bet this fixes it.  Btw, dual weild is pretty niche now because of the change.  Next league is the "melee revamp".  They are going to change the way it works, the damage of many of the skills, and a bunch of mechanics of a bunch of the skills.  They just did this for the entire spell repertoire in this current league. That being said, melee is still fun if thats what you like to play.  Next league, melee is going to be stronger, and probably more dynamic next league is all.  Next league starts in June. These guys pump out a new league every 90 days!  I expect that the memory things are going to get dumped entirely (won't even make it into the core game) and something new will replace it as the flavor of the month.. well 3 months.  They said its going to be simpler than the last few leagues.

• Thanks 1