The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Richard Bachman looks done

Matt_T83

His numbers have been slowly trending down. He's 31 years old and has likely peaked, and he's having a horrible start to the season. 

Looks like he's lost the starting job in Utica, even with Thatcher Demko out from a freak practice injury. Considering he averaged 0.930 SV% over his first 60 AHL games, this must be really disappointing for him. He's barely an adequate AHL backup at this point.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Utica should be an interesting place next year, with Demko likely Marky's backup here and DiPietro starting there. 

Plus I didn't know backup goalies were such good writers. 

It's rare for a goalie to jump straight into a starting AHL role, so I foresee Utica having a veteran starter (whether that be Bachman or someone else) with Dipietro as backup. 

He sure looked shaky in the one game he played. I don't imagine he'll get another shot.

Well, stories he can tell the grandkids. "Picture it kids. 2018, at the Xcel Energy Arena in Minneapolis. It was the only big league game I played that season and I let in 6 goals, but that's besides the point. I was in the NHL!!!"

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

He sure looked shaky in the one game he played. I don't imagine he'll get another shot.

Well, stories he can tell the grandkids. "Picture it kids. 2018, at the Xcel Energy Arena in Minneapolis. It was the only big league game I played that season and I let in 6 goals, but that's besides the point. I was in the NHL!!!"

Dang that sucks. 

Scott Foster has a way better story stepping in for the Blackhawks. He stepped in and saved 7/7 shots in his one and only NHL game. 

4 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am wondering if Utica will consider re-signing Ivan Kulbakov to an AHL contract for next year and have him play in the ECHL as their 3rd goalie should either Bachman or DiPietro go down to injury. He had spurts where he seemed to be playing really well. He might be worth a further look see.

Don't forget Utica doesn't sign any players.  Vancouver signs players to NHL contracts and they also sign players to AHL contracts as extra depth on the farm.  The NHL contracted goalies next year look to be Markstrom, Demko, Bachman and DiPietro so they will still need a 5th goalie on the depth chart to bounce between the ECHL and AHL.  If it's not Kulbakov it will need to be someone else and you rarely see 5 goalies on NHL contracts so they will need to sign another goalie to an AHL deal. 

23 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

Dang that sucks. 

Scott Foster has a way better story stepping in for the Blackhawks. He stepped in and saved 7/7 shots in his one and only NHL game. 

I was a D as a kid growing up, but one day (when I was round 9?) our goalies didn't show up so the coach put me in net. I had one shot against and we won 16-1 lol

Last time I played goal.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's not like that was his only NHL game. He's now played 48 games and won 20 career games. He'll have better stories to tell than that one.

21 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I thought AHL teams signed/released players independently of the NHL affiliate club all the time? 

Utica is not an independently owned team like the Chicago Wolves who do sign some of their own players to supplement the players sent to them by the NHL affiliated team. Utica is owned by Vancouver who supplies all of the players, coaches and trainers. This includes AHL contracted players such as Bancks, Sifers, Hamilton etc.  Sure the AHL contract is officially with the Utica Comets but the Comets are owned by the Canucks so they are really being signed by Vancouver to an Utica Comets AHL contract.  Officially Ryan Johnson signs players to AHL contracts as the GM of the Comets but he is also the Canucks Director of Player Development. He is not an employee of Robert Esche who runs the Comets from the business side and pays Vancouver an affiliation fee to supply the players, coaches trainers.....

2 hours ago, tas said:

I dunno man, "thinner" was pretty terrible ...

giphy.gif

But Bachman is hardly a prospect or considered in the system (as in he's developing for a role in the NHL). There's questions around what the goaltending will look like next year, but Bachman has another year left on his contract so he's likely to be around. He's not expected to be amazing or anything though, and will be there to help whoever he's paired with. Maybe we see Demko there another year, or maybe DiPietro. Bachman isn't anything I'm worried about.

15 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I thought this too. Thought players like Bancks and Hamilton had nothing to do with Vancouver.

That is also why players like Hamilton, Bancks etc participate in the Canucks training camp. Hamilton suffered a concussion in a NHL preseason game and has been out ever since.

it was always a questionable idea for bachman to be 3rd in nhl depth next year, and the last nhl start just emphasized it.  with demko having had a major concussion and now not necessarily the nhl back up next season everything is up in the air.  dipietro is not going to be an option.  they really need to get a better goalie in bachman's role.

Archived