The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks don't want to be too good yet

R.Dahlin26

General feel around the team in the hockey world is the Canucks don't want to be good right now. They want to add one more piece (Hughes/Kakko/Dach/Cozens) to go with BB6 and EP40.

IMO this is the right approach. Give ice time to the young players and let them develop while we lose games, preferably close entertaining ones. Trade off players at the deadline for draft picks, and finish as low as possible to get that piece to put you over the top.

If this is actually the plan the Canucks could have a nasty core moving forward.

Agree with the thoughts of posters above me. Why would the Canucks not want to be good? They want to lose on purpose?

I have been enjoying these exciting games and once we get healthy again we will be a force to be reckoned with.

It’s a nice theory, but it doesn’t really fit with the Canucks’ MO lately. They’ve been players, at least to some degree, on pretty much every big name that’s come through the trade/FA market the last while (Subban, Tavares, etc), they got rid of Linden (due to philosophical differences on the rebuild timeline), and they’ve regularly added free agent veterans (to attempt to stabilize the lineup and be more competitive).

The Canucks might not be trying to be truly “good” yet, but they’re certainly not trying to “not be too good” so they can maximize their draft position. 

This organization isn’t slow playing the rebuild. They actually got rid of the guy who advocated for that exact approach. They’re clearly not in “win now” mode either, but they are something akin to a “win as soon a possible” mode.

It’s wishful thinking, IMO, to believe that this team’s struggles are part of any kind of plan to avoid getting too good too soon. They want to be as good as they can, and as quickly as possible, without sacrificing too much in the way of their future core pieces and draft picks.

Remains to be seen whether this approach is actually accelerating the rebuild or just spinning the tires.

I might be in the minority, but I don't think we need another elite, very high end, top 6 forward (a la Kakko or Hughes). We need our younger, complementary players to pan out. Give me Broberg please.

45 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

If this is actually the plan the Canucks could have a nasty core moving forward.

The Canucks already have a nasty core moving forward. Of course you would love to add, but to act like we need a Hughes or Kakko is wrong. Detroit needs a player like that. Montreal needs a player like that. We already have 3 players of that ilk, maybe 4 if you want to include Quinn.

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

:lol:I am sure you don't believe this is a cup team. You're being sarcastic right?

How do you equate one thinking that Maclean is a blowhard regarding his stupid theory with the Canucks being a contender? That's a huge assumption.

I don't think that the Canucks are trying to lose games to get a high pick. That's idiotic. The players on the team would suffer for that.

22 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think the general consensus is they have no idea how to be good so that is not an issue. 

Coming back with same D and goaltending pretty much guaranteed this anyway. 

I think that would be the "don't want to be too good yet" part. The GM wasn't going to trade futures or spend huge amounts in FA to get a solid #1 G to another top 4 D. Management was fine will a poor showing in the standings again this year, as long as the team looked alright on the ice, played hard, and had some entertaining games. They know where they need upgrades better than the fans, I'm sure.

30 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

I'd like to know what "hockey world" he's talking about xD

Comes off like the media, again, dumping on this team and saying they're losing on purpose to secure another high draft pick. Get outta here 

That happens and it works

Buffalo and TO both battling for 1rst overall started their rebuilds in 2013/2014, intentionally tanked (Buffalo 2X) and have good teams.

2016/2017 Colorado tanked by close to 40 points for one single season and now are 4th in the league.

bringing back the same garbage d-core and goaltending this year might have been a tank move

They aren't going to lose on purpose, just that these losses are going to pile up with this roster and that is probably beneficial in the long term getting to add another elite piece. The writing is on the wall. We probably need 2 more elite pieces at the minimum one at forward and one on the backend.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think that the Canucks are trying to lose games to get a high pick. That's idiotic. The players on the team would suffer for that.

While I agree that Maclean is a blowhard, I don't think this is what he was really trying to say.

I think he was looking at it from the organizational standpoint, that even when they lose, they win, because it gives them a better chance at a higher pick in the next draft.  The Canucks aren't in a position to compete for the Cup yet, so is it so bad that they lose a few extra games as long as they compete hard?  While I don't agree with tanking, at this point in the Canucks' rebuild, I won't be heartbroken if they finish in the bottom third of the league.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How do you equate one thinking that Maclean is a blowhard regarding his stupid theory with the Canucks being a contender? That's a huge assumption.

A lot of players on this team a basking in the sunshine of being in the NHL, surely you don't think they would all be on a teams like Washington, Chicago, Boston, …. most are marginal NHLer's. And as I have posted many times they are playing the best they can at 120%, pedal to the metal. Those players can't afford to have an off switch or a cruise control.

If, IF the team was trying to lose intentionally how do you think they would do it? When do you think they would start? Without being obvious.:unsure:

When trading starts might be the beginning of the more obvious "drive for five":lol:

43 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I might be in the minority, but I don't think we need another elite, very high end, top 6 forward (a la Kakko or Hughes). We need our younger, complementary players to pan out. Give me Broberg please.

The Canucks already have a nasty core moving forward. Of course you would love to add, but to act like we need a Hughes or Kakko is wrong. Detroit needs a player like that. Montreal needs a player like that. We already have 3 players of that ilk, maybe 4 if you want to include Quinn.

Yep, we have top end young talent.  What we need is some depth.  Good secondary scoring, a decent second or third pairing.  In other words, good, multiple, mid-first and second round picks.  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be Jimbo's MO.  Trading to get those picks.

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

While I don't agree with tanking, at this point in the Canucks' rebuild, I won't be heartbroken if they finish in the bottom third of the league.

Last week I estimated they would finish 27th,

At this time they are 28th.

This ranking is not by the number of games played, by points they are not 28th but they would have the same number of points if they had played 42 games and all the rest haven't.

2 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

While I agree that Maclean is a blowhard, I don't think this is what he was really trying to say.

I think he was looking at it from the organizational standpoint, that even when they lose, they win, because it gives them a better chance at a higher pick in the next draft.  The Canucks aren't in a position to compete for the Cup yet, so is it so bad that they lose a few extra games as long as they compete hard?  While I don't agree with tanking, at this point in the Canucks' rebuild, I won't be heartbroken if they finish in the bottom third of the league.

Of course the team isn't in the contending for the Stanley Cup conversation, but I do believe that the actual team is doing everything they can to win games. 

I'm all for having the Canucks go to the draft with some high picks in their pocket as Benning has been dynamite at the table. No issue there. 

I do hope Benning offloads as many players as he can that no longer serve a real purpose on the team. All for that. There are a fair amount of floaters right now that should be jettisoned near or at the trade deadline. 

The identity of the new core is looking great, with the only real issue being the lack of pushback when someone takes liberites. 

8 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Saying "they don't want to be too good yet", implies that they are TRYING to lose.

Archived