The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks don't want to be too good yet

R.Dahlin26

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

A lot of players on this team a basking in the sunshine of being in the NHL, surely you don't think they would all be on a teams like Washington, Chicago, Boston, ….

Chicago isn't a very good team at all anymore. They're on the downslope. 

most are marginal NHLer's.

About 1/3 are, for sure. Leipsic, Gagner, Del Zotto, Biega, Granlund, Nilsson, Pouliot. 

And as I have posted many times they are playing the best they can at 120%, pedal to the metal. Those players can't afford to have an off switch or a cruise control.

They're all fighting for jobs, as stated by Benning and Green. The internal competition is a good thing for a team that's forming a new core. 

If, IF the team was trying to lose intentionally how do you think they would do it? When do you think they would start? Without being obvious.:unsure:

You tell me, as you seem to have it figured out. 

When trading starts might be the beginning of the more obvious "drive for five":lol:

Certainly this team needs to slough off the dead skin. It will happen, no doubt, but those players forming the new core are going to play their hardest to win each and every night. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning has been dynamite at the table. No issue there

:lol:I just can't let that pass, prove it.

Boeser, ranked 26th as a draft prospect, passed by 25 GM's, BPA at Canucks pick

EP, ranked all over the place so kudo's for that one.

What have the rest done in the NHL? There are over 30 others.

9 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Last week I estimated they would finish 27th,

At this time they are 28th.

This ranking is not by the number of games played, by points they are not 28th but they would have the same number of points if they had played 42 games and all the rest haven't.

Wow you must be really smart. Congratulations on the accurate estimate you made a week ago..

2 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Saying "they don't want to be too good yet", implies that they are TRYING to lose.

Maybe, if you only read that one line.  But when you include that all these one goal losses being victories, I think he is making more of a silver lining statement.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Of course the team isn't in the contending for the Stanley Cup conversation, but I do believe that the actual team is doing everything they can to win games. 

I'm all for having the Canucks go to the draft with some high picks in their pocket as Benning has been dynamite at the table. No issue there. 

I do hope Benning offloads as many players as he can that no longer serve a real purpose on the team. All for that. There are a fair amount of floaters right now that should be jettisoned near or at the trade deadline. 

The identity of the new core is looking great, with the only real issue being the lack of pushback when someone takes liberites. 

Agree on all points.

So guys, I am sorry, but you guys are not watching anyone but the Canucks...…...

Look at the depth on teams like Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, Washington, Toronto, Nashville etc...……...

Let's now compare ourselves to mid -league teams...…..ask yourself honestly, why we are at the bottom of the league

It is because of no scoring and no defense and below average goaltending...that is a lot of holes...….

McLean and such that are more connected with the other GM's on a personal basis, talk to each other.....

They are recognizing Vancouver's talent, and like many others on here, feel the Canucks are one strong/elite player away...

Just look at how far we far because of when we loose our depth to injury.....

Also look at how easy it is to shut down Pettersson when Brock wasn't here...……………….

We need a 1st line LW, a 2nd Line RW, and a RHD to fill us out...………………….

All these guys are saying is they recognize we are close and that is what we need...…………….

Do any of you think we could win a 7 game series against the above mentioned teams...…..if your answer is no

Then how do you expect we will?......because the cup is on the other side of these teams

Just now, goalie13 said:

Maybe, if you only read that one line.  But when you include that all these one goal losses being victories, I think he is making more of a silver lining statement.

Agree on all points.

Then he should say they are happy with not being too good yet... 

"They don't want to be too good yet" has a completely different meaning so I'm not just going to assume he means something else. 

43 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Doug Maclean is a blowhard, sack of crap. His theory is idiotic.

He's one of the few media Canucks fans. He's always boasting about Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser. I like him. Some here might not like what he says, but it's true. They aren't good enough yet, need more pieces and with the losses come a better chance at getting a great player.

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So guys, I am sorry, but you guys are not watching anyone but the Canucks...…...

Look at the depth on teams like Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, Washington, Toronto, Nashville etc...……...

Let's not campare ourselves to mid -league teams...…..ask yourself honestly, why we are at the bottom of the league

It is because of no scoring and no defense and below average goaltending...that is a lot of holes...….

McLean and such that are more connected with the other GM's on a personal basis, talk to each other.....

They are recognizing Vancouver's talent, and like many others on here, feel the Canucks are one strong/elite player away...

Just look at how far we far because of when we loose our depth to injury.....

Also look at how easy it is to shut down Pettersson when Brock wasn't here...……………….

We need a 1st line LW, a 2nd Line RW, and a RHD to fill us out...………………….

All these guys are saying is they recognize we are close and that is what we need...…………….

Do any of you think we could win a 7 game series against the above mentioned teams...…..if your answer is no

They how do you expect we will?......because the cup is on the other side of these teams

I don't think anyone here is saying the Canucks don't need another piece or two to compete for the cup...

Saying they don't want to be too good this year so that they can acquire one of those pieces easily is a completely different thing. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No. I don't have to prove anything to you, Guardian. Personal opinion is just that. Get over yourself, pal.

I know right?? The guy essentially tell you you're wrong, say's there are 30 other GM's in the league, and does nothing to prove his point himself. :lol:

Why do such people waste their time on forums I will never know.. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

He's one of the few media Canucks fans. He's always boasting about Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser. I like him. Some here might not like what he says, but it's true. They aren't good enough yet, need more pieces and with the losses come a better chance at getting a great player.

Of course the team isn't a contender yet, it's a team in transition, building a new core. They need at least this draft to get one more great piece to add in next season. Not argument there. To suggest that they're intentionally tanking is stupid.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Then he should say they aren't good enough yet.. now that they don't want to be..

I guess if he really is a fan like you say he just worded it that way to get a reaction on social media and nothing else.

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Of course the team isn't in the contending for the Stanley Cup conversation, but I do believe that the actual team is doing everything they can to win games. 

You’re mixing up the point Mclean was making. 

The players and the coach are trying to win as they always wil. But that roster wasn’t built in a way to really give the Canucks a chance to do damage this year. The goal this year was purely focused on player development. In a perfect world we have a ton of players progress (like we are seeing) and at the same time add another high end prospect this draft. Which appears to the the direction we are heading. 

9 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Then he should say they are happy with not being too good yet... 

"They don't want to be too good yet" has a completely different meaning so I'm not just going to assume he means something else. 

I think you're taking it WAY too literal.  It's not even his Tweet, or a direct quote.  It's a report of something he said in a radio interview.  And it sounds like it's just the way they guy talks.

Why automatically jump to the negative conclusion?

Just now, goalie13 said:

I think you're taking it WAY too literal.  It's not even his Tweet, or a direct quote.  It's a report of something he said in a radio interview.  And it sounds like it's just the way they guy talks.

Why automatically jump to the negative conclusion?

Cause I'm sick of people assuming teams are happy with TANKING FOR A DRAFT PICK. And now it's happening in f*$^ing NOVEMBER FFS. 

I don't know how else to interpret what I just read so that was my reaction. 

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

Cause I'm sick of people assuming teams are happy with TANKING FOR A DRAFT PICK. And now it's happening in f*$^ing NOVEMBER FFS. 

I don't know how else to interpret what I just read so that was my reaction. 

And there's the difference right there.

You think he's talking about tanking.  I think he's talking about finding the silver lining in close losses.

12 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

And there's the difference right there.

You think he's talking about tanking.  I think he's talking about finding the silver lining in close losses.

Yes but that goes back to the fact that he said they don't WANT to be good yet. Not that they are OK with not being good yet.

If I misinterpreted what I read or took it out of context then sorry but I'm just reacting to what I saw in the OP. 

AND THERE ARE ALMOST 60 GAMES LEFT TO BE PLAYED WHY ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THIS??!?! I personally watch the game to be entertained for the whole season (or at least until eliminated from playoff contention), not to give up 1/3rd through the year and like an idiot try to convince myself "next year will be better". 

Archived