The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former US President George H.W. Bush Dead

SabreFan1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Well the US would win that war so more innocent people would die which is what you were earlier complaining about.

I don't really disagree with you but unfortunately the US military could likely defeat the world combined. The saddest part is why would the majority of the world trust the yankees?

I wasn't really seriously suggesting that, as it would be unwinnable and as you said, cost a lot of lives. I was really just pointing out the hypocrisy of global politics where we allow the Big Bad Bully (America) to trample human rights wherever they want.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

95-year old WWII vet Bob Dole saluting fellow WWII vet George Bush's casket.

You guys have had some very impressive men leading society.  Where are those types of leaders now?  Where are the brave, courageous, and honorable?

Just now, Alflives said:

You guys have had some very impressive men leading society.  Where are those types of leaders now?  Where are the brave, courageous, and honorable?

I had issues with both Dole and Bush Sr., but they were better than the people running things today.

I had issues with both Dole and Bush Sr., but they were better than the people running things today.

You're too young to remember Jimmy Carter, and his younger brother - Billy.  I think there are too many Billy Carters getting elected both south and north of our shared border.  Look at those Ford brothers (one's deceased now) in Ontario!  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You're too young to remember Jimmy Carter, and his younger brother - Billy.  I think there are too many Billy Carters getting elected both south and north of our shared border.  Look at those Ford brothers (one's deceased now) in Ontario!  

I remember Jimmy Carter.  He's still alive.  His brother.  I have no idea. 

As for his administration, I'm a history buff and I know it well.  Even though I was alive and can remember Carter losing, I was only 6 at that time so his loss is the extent of any actual first-hand memories of his presidency.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

I remember Jimmy Carter.  He's still alive.  His brother.  I have no idea. 

As for his administration, I'm a history buff and I know it well.  Even though I was alive and can remember Carter losing, I was only 6 at that time so his loss is the extent of any actual first-hand memories of his presidency.

Billy Carter's claim to fame was his drunken behavior, while Jimmy was President.  Billy peed on those big pillars on the White House steps.  He had some serious issues, and was a total embarrassment to Jimmy.  The Ford brothers remind me of Billy Carter. 

9 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

You really to separate the man from US government foreign policy.   Several people on this forum have said Bush funded this group or that group and was responsible for the Gulf War, etc.  Sorry to burst your bubble but all US presidents fund various groups or governments as part of foreign policy.  Some policies carry from one presidency to the next.  For example, the policies regarded Irag and Afghanistan are basically the same ones under Obama and now Trump.  They just carry over from one regime to another.

As for George Bush, Sr., he was a decent man.   He did not go around making rude comments, calling people names, making fun of people like the current president.

Most importantly,  George Bush, Sr. was a WWII Hero, one of the youngest Navy pilots, who flew more than 50 missions.   He literally put his life on the line serving his country.  One time he crashed into the sea and barely survived.   George Bush, sr, was one the few US presidents who actually saw combat action.  Other presidents served in the military but out of harm's way.

6 hours ago, DonLever said:

You really to separate the man from US government foreign policy.   Several people on this forum have said Bush funded this group or that group and was responsible for the Gulf War, etc.  Sorry to burst your bubble but all US presidents fund various groups or governments as part of foreign policy.  Some policies carry from one presidency to the next.  For example, the policies regarded Irag and Afghanistan are basically the same ones under Obama and now Trump.  They just carry over from one regime to another.

As for George Bush, Sr., he was a decent man.   He did not go around making rude comments, calling people names, making fun of people like the current president.

Most importantly,  George Bush, Sr. was a WWII Hero, one of the youngest Navy pilots, who flew more than 50 missions.   He literally put his life on the line serving his country.  One time he crashed into the sea and barely survived.   George Bush, sr, was one the few US presidents who actually saw combat action.  Other presidents served in the military but out of harm's way.

The funny thing is that if you stuck some of those same complainers in the chair at the oval office, they'd end up doing things that other people would think is plenty wrong.  For an empire, the US is likely the most decent in recorded history.  It has it's warts, sure, but we have never tried to physically take over the world.  The generals after WW2 wanted to go into Russia using the brand new nukes to incinerate ground troops and tanks and then take over Russia since even by then it was obvious that they were going to oppose the US for decades to come, but the president at the time, FDR, refused to act like empires of old and put a stop to the plan.  Had the US chosen to act, it could have reshaped the entire world within a couple year's time.  The US's time as the only dominant power in the world is slowly coming to an end, and the people that like to crap on everything the US does will then have be worried about a communist China with regional ambitions and Russia with the same.  Russia is as we speak slowly moving in on Ukraine and after that, it will turn it's eyes on other former satellite countries that it once controlled.

As for the conspiracy theorists spouting Alex Jones propaganda, I either ignore or make fun of them.

The funny thing is that if you stuck some of those same complainers in the chair at the oval office, they'd end up doing things that other people would think is plenty wrong.  For an empire, the US is likely the most decent in recorded history.  It has it's warts, sure, but we have never tried to physically take over the world.  The generals after WW2 wanted to go into Russia using the brand new nukes to incinerate ground troops and tanks and then take over Russia since even by then it was obvious that they were going to oppose the US for decades to come, but the president at the time, FDR, refused to act like empires of old and put a stop to the plan.  Had the US chosen to act, it could have reshaped the entire world within a couple year's time.  The US's time as the only dominant power in the world is slowly coming to an end, and the people that like to crap on everything the US does will then have be worried about a communist China with regional ambitions and Russia with the same.  Russia is as we speak slowly moving in on Ukraine and after that, it will turn it's eyes on other former satellite countries that it once controlled.

As for the conspiracy theorists spouting Alex Jones propaganda, I either ignore or make fun of them.

Interesting that you call the US an "empire". I suppose that it was, in many ways.

As for the bolded, there has been over the years, a lot of speculation that the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were done not only to bring a swift end to the war in the Pacific, but also to demonstrate to the Russians what the American military was capable of and more importantly, what it was willing to do. The are historians who are of the opinion that the Japanese were ready to surrender before the bombings. They were just looking for a way to do it that saved face and protected Hirohito.

I think your point is well taken about the US's military power being the "balance" for Russia and China. However, I still believe that the US military budget is ridiculous and that it could be an effective deterrent at a fraction of the cost, provided the administration had a cohesive strategy and capable people to carry it out. Unfortunately, I think that might have to wait until a new administration takes over. Hopefully the damage won't be irreversible by then.

Bush 41, like all US Presidents likely had to make some decisions that he didn't like, but that comes with the territory.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Interesting that you call the US an "empire". I suppose that it was, in many ways.

As for the bolded, there has been over the years, a lot of speculation that the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were done not only to bring a swift end to the war in the Pacific, but also to demonstrate to the Russians what the American military was capable of and more importantly, what it was willing to do. The are historians who are of the opinion that the Japanese were ready to surrender before the bombings. They were just looking for a way to do it that saved face and protected Hirohito. 

I think your point is well taken about the US's military power being the "balance" for Russia and China. However, I still believe that the US military budget is ridiculous and that it could be an effective deterrent at a fraction of the cost, provided the administration had a cohesive strategy and capable people to carry it out. Unfortunately, I think that might have to wait until a new administration takes over. Hopefully the damage won't be irreversible by then.

Bush 41, like all US Presidents likely had to make some decisions that he didn't like, but that comes with the territory.

The problem with waiting for Japan to surrender was that there were plans in place to invade Japan and there was those in the civilian and military Allied leadership wanted to go ahead with them.  The US would have in all likelihood supplied the bulk of the troops, and that was unacceptable to the US.  The Japanese were ferocious fighters and would have taken a serious toll on any invading force.  If I had been in FDR's shoes, I also would have nuked Japan to avoid US deaths.  The funny thing is that for all of the attention that the atomic bombings got, the firebombing of Tokyo killed more civilians and displaced over a million people.

I agree that the US military budget is disgusting.  It's a "workfare" program and feeds the military industrial complex all at the same time.  It also continually puts the US government into deeper debt.  Russia does a lot with a whole lot less money and China pretty much just steals US plans for things like our planes and then builds their own.  China has F-35 clones with weaker engines and lesser electronics.

The problem with waiting for Japan to surrender was that there were plans in place to invade Japan and there was those in the civilian and military Allied leadership wanted to go ahead with them.  The US would have in all likelihood supplied the bulk of the troops, and that was unacceptable to the US.  The Japanese were ferocious fighters and would have taken a serious toll on any invading force.  If I had been in FDR's shoes, I also would have nuked Japan to avoid US deaths.  The funny thing is that for all of the attention that the atomic bombings got, the firebombing of Tokyo killed more civilians and displaced over a million people.

I agree that the US military budget is disgusting.  It's a "workfare" program and feeds the military industrial complex all at the same time.  It also continually puts the US government into deeper debt.  Russia does a lot with a whole lot less money and China pretty much just steals US plans for things like our planes and then builds their own.  China has F-35 clones with weaker engines and lesser electronics.

Agreed. It actually brings to mind an old story about the US Space program vs the Russian Space program. While the Americans spent millions in developing a pen that would write in Zero gravity, the Russians just took pencils.

Describes the difference perfectly, IMO....

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

George W, handing Michelle O a candy.......

That's happened before. Dubya and Michelle are friends. Michelle explained it by pointing out that for protocol reasons, the two have always been seated beside each other and over the years, they've developed a friendship.

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed. It actually brings to mind an old story about the US Space program vs the Russian Space program. While the Americans spent millions in developing a pen that would write in Zero gravity, the Russians just took pencils.

Describes the difference perfectly, IMO....

Don't believe everything you read in your email inbox.  That old wives tale used to be around in the 80's as well and it just refuses to die. :lol:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/

Don't believe everything you read in your email inbox.  That old wives tale used to be around in the 80's as well and it just refuses to die. :lol:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/

Yeah, there may be the scent of Urban Myth about it, but you have to admit, it sounds exactly like something the US would do...B)

Archived