The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Titans

Shekky

I Follow Overwatch League and am super stoked for the upcoming season how many of you follow the Overwatch League? I am really happy they secured the best team outside of Overwatch league

https://dotesports.com/overwatch/news/new-overwatch-league-team-vancouver-titans-signs-former-runaway-roster-reveals-branding

https://www.sportsnet.ca/more/titans-unveiled-vancouvers-overwatch-league-team/

Another Overwatch League has unveiled its new branding and colors. Vancouver Titans is the official name for the Canadian Overwatch League team, the organization announced today. Owned by Aquilini Group, the ownership group for the Vancouver Canucks, Vancouver Titans is the second Canadian team in the league.

Roster details were announced during the second intermission of Vancouver Canucks’ NHL match against Dallas Stars. Kim “Haksal” Hyo-jong, Lee “Hooreg” Dong-eun, Lee “Stitch” Choong-hui, Park “Bumper” Sang-beom, Choi “JJANU” Hyeon-woo, Lee “Twilight” Ju-seok, Kim “SLIME” Sung-jun, and Seo Min-soo all joined Vancouver Titans from Overwatch Contenders Korea team RunAway. Former Element Mystic flex support Kim “Rapel” Jung rounds out the roster at nine players.

VanTitans.png

Screengrab via Twitch.tv/Vancouver_OWL

Vancouver Titans will share colors with the Canucks, wearing the iconic blue and green color scheme. The logo draws inspiration from the Pacific Northwest’s mythic monster, Bigfoot.

Former San Francisco Shock analyst Harsha Bandi will also join Vancouver Titans for the Overwatch League’s 2019 season.

The former RunAway roster earned first place in Overwatch Contenders Korea’s second 2018 season and placed second twice in OGN Overwatch Apex in 2017. The players in Vancouver’s Overwatch League expansion team are widely considered some of the best in Overwatch right now.

Eight new expansion teams will join the Overwatch League when it begins on Feb. 14. Other expansion team branding already revealed includes Atlanta Reign, Toronto Defiant, Paris Eternal, Guangzhou Charge, Hangzhou Spark, and Chengdu Hunters. One team remains unannounced, though logos and team names were leaked in a Nov. 7 Reddit post. Washington, D.C. is the last team needed to reveal its branding. The eight new teams will join the 12 founding teams from the 2018 season.

Edited by Shekky
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was really thrown off, at first I thought the Canucks started a Junior B team.

"Results, disappointing".

heh yeah the logo and colours can really throw you off as to what exactly the team is.

50 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

What even is this?  Please, get it out of my hockey game.  I'm sorry, but we're being bombarded with "stuff"...I go to hockey because I like...hockey.

Professional video games. E-sports. It's a multi million dollar business.

Mildly disappointed in the lack of diversity on the team as it really doesn't represent Vancouver at all. I much prefer the League of Legends rules surrounding imports as it requires teams to draft and develop local talent while still allowing a couple of imports.

Also, the jerseys/merch are poor quality and lame. Really disappointed. The green t-shirts in particular look like Aqualini gave the players a $20 budget to go to a t-shirt printing shop.

• Upvote 1

Sports?   Hardly.

Team competition, sure. 

Meh, whatever.   Not even slightly interested but I'm sure many will be.  Just don't clog my hockey up with it.  I have a team banned from playing a game and yet they're promoting...gaming during their game?  

• Upvote 2

I tried to start up a “Pong” league, but no one had the guts to challenge me.  I send out an open challenge to all comers.  Meet me at the local arcade, and Alf will destroy you.  Or, are you new gamers too afraid to play a real game?  Scardicats.  Afraid old Alf will slice and dice you?  

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fateless said:

Mildly disappointed in the lack of diversity on the team as it really doesn't represent Vancouver at all. I much prefer the League of Legends rules surrounding imports as it requires teams to draft and develop local talent while still allowing a couple of imports.

Also, the jerseys/merch are poor quality and lame. Really disappointed. The green t-shirts in particular look like Aqualini gave the players a $20 budget to go to a t-shirt printing shop.

Could you imagine if the NHL had this rule? All the Canadian teams would be stacked as hell.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Sports?   Hardly.

Team competition, sure. 

Meh, whatever.   Not even slightly interested but I'm sure many will be.  Just don't clog my hockey up with it.  I have a team banned from playing a game and yet they're promoting...gaming during their game?  

"Team competition" is the definition of the word sport. It's a sport as much as any other. I'm not sure how it will clog up your hockey when it has nothing to do with hockey and there have already been tournaments for other games in Vancouver for the last year without you noticing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

"Team competition" is the definition of the word sport. It's a sport as much as any other. I'm not sure how it will clog up your hockey when it has nothing to do with hockey and there have already been tournaments for other games in Vancouver for the last year without you noticing.

Team competition is in the definition of the word sport, it is not the definition of the world sport. 

4 Characteristics that define a sport, opposed to a game.

●     Skill, not chance

●     Physical skill

○     Skillful movement

●     Wide following

○     General social acceptance

●     Sports have stability over time

○     Sports records and files

I would also add to my definition the need for explosiveness to be an inherent part of the game to be considered a sport

Edited by ReggieBush

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

Team competition is in the definition of the word sport, it is not the definition of the world sport. 

4 Characteristics that define a sport, opposed to a game.

●     Skill, not chance

●     Physical skill

○     Skillful movement

●     Wide following

○     General social acceptance

●     Sports have stability over time

○     Sports records and files

I would also add to my definition the need for explosiveness to be an inherent part of the game to be considered a sport

Thanks tips

God who #$%^ing cares.  I have played video games all my life yet I find e-sports to be the most pathetic thing imaginable. 

Kim “Haksal” Hyo-jong, Lee “Hooreg” Dong-eun, Lee “Stitch” Choong-hui, Park “Bumper” Sang-beom, Choi “JJANU” Hyeon-woo, Lee “Twilight” Ju-seok, Kim “SLIME” Sung-jun, and Seo Min-soo

lol, just lol.  So glad Bumper chose to sign here, hope he can really help the offensive side of the .... screen?

Edited by Tre Mac

23 hours ago, Baer. said:

Could you imagine if the NHL had this rule? All the Canadian teams would be stacked as hell.

True, but hockey has historically been an international sport to begin with, so while there are definitely stacked regions, each region has their own developed or developing talent. In the League of Legends scene over the last few years, some North American players (and some players from lesser known regions) are actually starting to compete against Korean/Chinese teams with home-grown talent. If there wasn't a rule about imports in place, then what we're seeing with the Vancouver Titans would be commonplace. Why would a business that can be a top contender just by signing existing foreign talent want to invest in developing local talent? 

The answer is that for eSports to thrive and actually gain legitimate, mainstream acceptance, then gaming leagues need to force diversity in order for the game to have long-term viability. Would as many Vancouverites watch hockey if every single player was Korean? Probably not, because you don't have the same level of ownership and identity with the team. It doesn't represent us as a region. We've seen this in hockey - teams rather draft players from their own towns because fans identify with the local boys and want to see them succeed. Its easy to get behind players like that.