The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shot blocking should be banned

smokes

I think shot blocking stifles the game and causes needless injuries. If head shots should be out of the game to protect players from head injuries then standing in front of a potential 99mph puck because you feel you need to help your goalie do his job should be next. Why is the league so adamant on just head shots are there no players who have had to quite the game because of injuries to the body? The thing that bugs me the most is that the coaches are the ones encouraging it, "Yeah go out there block a shot let's worry injuries later." As a fan, I would rather not see a player block a shot so I can continue to see him in the line up for further games and not risk injury. I understand that the players do it because they want to protect a goal, but isn't that why there are goalies in the game? If players get in the way, or if the shooter didn't get the shot far off like the Pettersson block on the Boeser goal that's one thing but coaches actively letting players purposly shot block the amount players do in a game it's no wonder there are so many injuries.

Ban headshots.

Start teaching the art of the clean bodycheck. 

Maybe even bring back the stop signs on the backs of the jerseys in junior again? 

Work on making better equipment, better mouthguards that cushion, and help eliminate concussions. 

Maybe a better helmet design that not only protects, but absorbs shock.

Expand the size of the rink, not quite Olympic size, but try to open more room. 

Just my 2 cents. 

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its apart of the game, Always has been, always will be.

Guys are going to make  that sacrifice in order to win the Stanley Cup. Its theoretically an advantage in trying to win. And guys are going to do whatever it takes.

So was hitting in the head and fighting but now we have seen a decrease in that.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hasn’t Don Cherry come out and said that guys should let the goalie see the puck?

Exactly, Goalies get paid as much as the other players so why not let them do thier job, especially when they have the better equipment for it.

1 minute ago, smokes said:

When you consider the risk of injuries? Yes. 

Gotcha. So ban slap shots as well. Because, as a goalie myself growing up, I received two concussions just from slap shots that hit me in the mask.

22 minutes ago, Monty said:

Gotcha. So ban slap shots as well. Because, as a goalie myself growing up, I received two concussions just from slap shots that hit me in the mask.

"Ban Boeser wrist shots while we're at it."

- Adam McQuaid

56 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ban headshots.

Start teaching the art of the clean bodycheck. 

Maybe even bring back the stop signs on the backs of the jerseys in junior again? 

Work on making better equipment, better mouthguards that cushion, and help eliminate concussions. 

Maybe a better helmet design that not only protects, but absorbs shock.

Expand the size of the rink, not quite Olympic size, but try to open more room. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Headshots are banned, equipment is as fine tuned to be light but protective. They are using world class equipment.

Expand the size of the rink? So modify every single rink in the NHL to facilitate a bigger ice surface, costing the owners millions? Yeah that'll work....

Archived