The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shot blocking should be banned

smokes

Shot blocking is too much of a natural play to take out of the game. Go watch any Novice or Atom game and you'll see little kids throwing themselves in front of shots without ever being encouraged or coached to do so.

I'd really like to see the shape of the posts and crossbar evolved to deflect pucks in the net. Pretty sure Gretzky talked about that a few years ago.

2 hours ago, smokes said:

So was hitting in the head and fighting but now we have seen a decrease in that.

Difference is that those two things can have a detrimental effect on one's life outside of hockey. Blocking a shot (unless a freak accident occurs) doesn't.

Why stop there? Ban playing defense all together. Not only are shootouts one of the most exciting part of hockey, but also carry one of the lowest possiblity of injury. If we just start with the shootout not only will games be more exciting and played at a faster pace, but we can all spend our off time more effectively and not have to convince our significant others that we need to invest 3 hours to every hockey game.

Seems like a win win right? I'll call Gary.

Blocking shots is just another tool some guys have in their toolbox and they're very good at it. 

The issue for me is if it becomes a team expectation and everyone is out there blocking shots, with the end result of bad deflections and/or getting in the way of the netminder.  I don't really like seeing guys like Boeser or EP40 out there blocking shots either.

I would ban the shot blocking sliding tactics between the blueline to the top of the faceoff circle, kind of like NBA does with circle inside the paint for charges.   The only permitted shot blocking sliding is in the slot between top of the circle to the goal line but not to the blueline.   The reason, so that the shots can go through the sliding forwards when defenceman is trying to get the shot through but is often blocked because of forwards blocking the shot when sliding down.  The shot blocking should be permitted when a defensive forward is standing up without any penalty.   I want to keep the sliding permitted due to 2 on 1 which is often inside the slots so I do not want to ban the shot blocking outright.    This rules will prevent the collapse tactics by the team and would be able to slide all the way up quickly and with this rules, you can't really collapse when you have defenceman is able to get through the shots at will, opening up the slots for forwards to do his things and if the defenceman could slide in the slots to block the shots, all power to them.   

The goal is to have the ability to get shots through rather than go for safe plays by dumping the puck along the board because there is not any lane available because forwards from the collapse position would be able quickly skate up toward the defenceman to block shots. To keep things honest, the forwards would have to be close to the defenceman when hemming so that he could block shots while standing up.   This will change the game in a positive ways, increase scoring chances via the rebounding.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:25 AM, peaches5 said:

Ban composite sticks. Everyone can shoot the puck 100 miles an hour with them. 

This I agree with, but unfortunately they aren’t going anywhere because money. They missed their chance to do anything about it, most players in the nhl now have never seen or played with a two-piece stick.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:31 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ban headshots.

Start teaching the art of the clean bodycheck. 

Maybe even bring back the stop signs on the backs of the jerseys in junior again? 

Work on making better equipment, better mouthguards that cushion, and help eliminate concussions. 

Maybe a better helmet design that not only protects, but absorbs shock.

Expand the size of the rink, not quite Olympic size, but try to open more room. 

Just my 2 cents. 

yea no one learns clean hits in junior lol.

Archived