-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

Toronto media is basically saying this was a steal of a trade.  Across the board.  All talking heads agree.  What's the catch?

24 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Does this have something to do with Baertschi?

Benning in his interview today said they got good news on Baertschi last week and that he is back skating.  

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

You’re out of your mind bro.  He’s a point leader on a team that has a losing record.

Just watch! I hope I am wrong. But from a hockey mind even the Canucks brass has said recently that they only have one top 6 winger and that's Brock. Ian Macintyre has stated that from quoting Canucks management. 

3 hours ago, Nancouver said:

This seems to be a running theme around here that goldy can’t pass, if anything it’s the contrary. Last game he set up EP with a beauty pass on a partial 2 on 1 and EP just missed, he was shaking his head after like “ I shoulda had that one “. I consistently notice goldy making high caliber passes and his teammates not finishing.

Goldy can pass really well. But its his low percentage passes that drive coaches crazy! He can single handedly kill a power play!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Just watch! I hope I am wrong. But from a hockey mind even the Canucks brass has said recently that they only have one top 6 winger and that's Brock. Ian Macintyre has stated that from quoting Canucks management. 

When was that?  

Just now, mll said:

When was that?  

Saturday during the first intermission. Or second he was interviewed!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Toronto media is basically saying this was a steal of a trade.  Across the board.  All talking heads agree.  What's the catch?

I heard the same thing, Leafs fans are livid of the deal, so it must mean its good for us. The Athletic writer that covers the Leafs said Leivo has some untapped scoring potential, avg defensively, above average skating but great in the corners with his size. Sounds like a bit of a Chris Higgins type of player

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Shore

Skille

Dowd

Boucher

Leipsic

Vey

Etem

and now this guy.

im sure I’m missing a few similar transactions.

JB has been pretty good at drafting at least.  

Shore - Did nothing

Skille - actually was pretty decent as a 4th liner

Dowd - did nothing

Boucher - scored a bit in bunches his first year here, just a lot of holes in his game to stay in the bigs

Leipsic - pretty good last year, below so so this year

Vey - who cares

Etem - see Vey

8 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Thats what I thought but the updated size is 6'2" 210.

So, he had a couple of pizzas, then?

• Hydration 1

4 hours ago, xereau said:

talking heads and fans are all saying we stole this one. we upgraded and thats all i care about

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

He’s been trying.

lets give him that. 

I believe that is something positive you've said. A bit of a backhanded-compliment, but positive nonetheless. Good on you!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cory40 said:

Saturday during the first intermission. Or second he was interviewed!

1st intermission of the Vegas game on Thursday.  

MacIntyre was talking about the challenges to form a lineup with the injuries and was saying that Green is trying to find good players who can finish to play with Horvat and Pettersson.  His quote was 'they have two front line centres but only have 1 front line winger now and it obviously hurts them that Baertschi has been out injured for so long'.  

Hard to know whether Goldobin would have gotten all those opportunities if Baertschi was healthy. With Leivo now also playing LW and Baer back skating does he even stay in the top-6.  I guess he could always move to RW.  Leivo has also played RW in Toronto.

It will be interesting to see where everyone fits in with a healthy lineup.

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I heard the same thing, Leafs fans are livid of the deal, so it must mean its good for us. The Athletic writer that covers the Leafs said Leivo has some untapped scoring potential, avg defensively, above average skating but great in the corners with his size. Sounds like a bit of a Chris Higgins type of player

Considering they felt the value of Andrew Neilsen could net them Tanev, they probably just thought Leivo was worth a Horvat or something like that. The reality is he does only have 4 goals in 27 games this year and is 25 years old already. I agree there is some untapped potential now that he will be given a bigger opportunity as he's no longer stuck behind the depth in Toronto, but it is now up to Leivo to take this and run with it.

I was trying to think of a comparable player and Higgins is a good one. Hopefully he's watched JVR a bit in Toronto and elevates his game to that level though.

Interested to see if Leivo gets some PP2 time as net presence, in addition to playing off Horvat's wing:

Leivo -- Horvat -- Virt

Leivo

Goldy  Granny   Virt

Hutty

21 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Horvat Leivo gonna be a thing?

Any player deserves a shot if he can prove to the coach he deserves it with appropriate work rate and performance.

But I also agree with Pav below. Just because we have a new shiny toy.  May not automatically mean he is top 6 material? Bo, like when Kesler played more minutes than Hank (every year) is hands down our 2C.  And the most important player ATM. Because he lets Pettersson be deployed favorably. And handles defensive deployments while Sutter & Beagle are out. 

21 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He is a bottom 6 forward, I wouldn't get too ahead of ourselves. Would prefer it if he was a LW, but should be serviceable for us and an upgrade over Carcone.

I like this cautionary not.  Lets let the coach decide if he's a top 6 forward.

What I can say with a similar cautionary certainty? If he was not a top 6 forward at age 25 in Toronto. He probably wont be a lock down top 6 here. 

But we are not as strong a team. And there is a good probability he can play some top 6 minutes here! I like the pick up!  

7 hours ago, xereau said:

theres nothing fishy, he's a hard working player, who deserves a chance at the NHL.  Leafs fans are happy he is still in the NHL. hfboards.com leafs fans think Canucks won this trade, because he's a good bottom 6ixer with an outside chance of some top 6 time.

what happened here was, they think he was going to be waived, to make room for Nylander,  but based on his abilities, he's probably not going to clear, leafs knew that, Canucks knew that, too based on pecking order, instead of losing him for nothing they gained, a Ahl weapon, in Carcone (who was apparently one of comets best player).  

win trade, wouldn't call this a slam dunk too, since Carcone was a free agent signing, we gained a NHL player out of this, good deal.  

7 hours ago, xereau said:

^^^this, Toronto is the best!