The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

32 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Just maybe

Peter Parker Reading a Book 04122018113929.jpg

Here's another CDC short-story favorite....

Chapter 1:

Just play the kidz!!

Chapter 2: (2 weeks later....)

Forget the transition:  where are the resultz!! 

The kidz aren't winning yet!  Find me a whipping-boyz!

Chapter 3 (maybe even chapter 2).

Er, uh.....Fire the coach!!

Addendum:  claim all the waiverz!

Bibliography: Countless CDC whinge-threads.

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think he will play top six minutes for us, and might come out strong out of the gate but long term as our team improves and injured bodies come back he is not a top 6 player on a playoff team. If he could become a solid third liner that can pot in 10-15 goals a season, i still think this deal has to be considered a steal.

Probably will play some top 6...

As someone else pointed out, we had Schaller playing top 6 minutes recently. I personally see Leivo better defined as middle 6.  But I've been wrong before. And I like your projection looking forward to a 3rd liner potting 10 or 15 goals. I wont be holding him back if he can do more!

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Here's another CDC short-story favorite....

Chapter 1:

Just play the kidz!!

Chapter 2: (2 weeks later....)

Forget the transition:  where are the resultz!! 

The kidz aren't winning yet!  Find me a whipping-boyz!

Chapter 3 (maybe even chapter 2).

Er, uh.....Fire the coach!!

Addendum:  claim all the waiverz!

Bibliography: Countless CDC whinge-threads.

Oh my, thisssss

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong fellas, I am quite happy to add Leivo and hope he is a hidden gem, and time will tell, if he is a good addition or not, but the addition was initiated by Benning as per the media stories...to me that speaks volumes, and shouldn't be ignored.

It should also be noted that Leivo was basically not worth keeping on a top end, Toronto team, which says a lot about where we are, and not so much about Leivo. "IF" he turns in a late developer, and fits in well with Horvat or Pettersson, that would be fantastic, and I commend Benning for making the trade (IMO an upgrade in assets). The comments out of Toronto is that he has some game, and if he ever turned into a late developing top 2 LW, I would be elated. 

But again, as I look at who responded to my last comment, you guys above most others, should know that there has been a big void at LW, as all that have had auditions in that spot have

in one way or another come up short in one aspect or another.

Not trying to be half empty here, just pointing out what I feel is the obvious statement by Benning adding Leivo……..not that he would or would not be a good addition.

I think you're overanalyzing this.

Benning's job is to improve the team in any way that he can, WITHOUT disrupting the current team. If it doesn't work, he starts over on a clean slate next year, presuming he stays. I think his job is very very safe now.

I think it's not hard to see that Nylander is worth more than Leivo. Toronto needs the roster space. Many Toronto fans say Leivo is a good player. How good is he? Nobody really knows.

Leipsic couldn't get the job done. Now it's Leivo's turn. Goldobin is still a really good player right now, and unless Leivo can outproduce him, Goldobin is still going to be on the top 6.

11 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

He is still a plug, a 4th line plug that will probably be sent down to the Comets

Alright Phil. How many of Leivo’s games have you seen and please, can you give me a reasonable argument as to why he won’t find some success here in Vancouver? 

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I agree about thepp's.  When I coach, I preach to players that they shouldn't change their play all that much on the pp, aside from always making sure they have the number advantage around the puck. If you play the pp a little closer to 5v5 style, you force the pk'ers to play that way as well and you make them move, engage and get out of position

I found that a key advantage (criminally underused, imo) of a powerplay is forcing the defenders to move. Use their own fatigue against them. Defensively, a player in great condition is only going to be really effective for 30 seconds or so of maximum burst energy, and even that's someone in GREAT condition; the more they've been out there, the lower that number. Board battles, chasing the puck, all make that number drop until mental mistakes become the new norm.

Anybody watching Del Zotto on defence knows that when mental mistakes happen, the puck usually finds its way into the net shortly thereafter.

Puck down low, out high, keep players rotating around. The Sedin powerplay was so effective for so long (until they became slower than Dana Murzyn) because when in the zone, it would get guys chasing them or their strong side D partner for 20 seconds or more and just totally cook them until it was basically a 5 on 3/2.5.

Hockey is a game of motion, so any team or line who stops that motion is immediately at a disadvantage... like us, offensively.

33 minutes ago, brownky said:

I found that a key advantage (criminally underused, imo) of a powerplay is forcing the defenders to move. Use their own fatigue against them. Defensively, a player in great condition is only going to be really effective for 30 seconds or so of maximum burst energy, and even that's someone in GREAT condition; the more they've been out there, the lower that number. Board battles, chasing the puck, all make that number drop until mental mistakes become the new norm.

Anybody watching Del Zotto on defence knows that when mental mistakes happen, the puck usually finds its way into the net shortly thereafter.

Puck down low, out high, keep players rotating around. The Sedin powerplay was so effective for so long (until they became slower than Dana Murzyn) because when in the zone, it would get guys chasing them or their strong side D partner for 20 seconds or more and just totally cook them until it was basically a 5 on 3/2.5.

Hockey is a game of motion, so any team or line who stops that motion is immediately at a disadvantage... like us, offensively.

Yeah.... really noticed that slow-down in motion lately.... early on the guys were flying and creating all sorts of options. Now very static too focused on trying to set-up the one-timer Petterson or Boeser ... too predictable and easier to shot-block.

Guys

My position on Leivo is one of...hey great trade.....I hope he turns out...…..nothing less...….hoping his potential was held back and he clicks here...….

On Goldobin...…..he is young and yes he has up side...….but he shows little ability on puck retrieval, has very little defensive positioning and drafted 4 years ago, and is only a "potential" top 6 player...…..as I believe we should have a much better LWer player 1st line LW....it's my opinion...………..

As for Dahlen...….he will be 21 this month, has played professional hockey, and has 13 points in 23 games in the AHL...…...most 1st line players, are well ahead of that curve, in their draft +4 year...……...again he has potential, but is slow showing it as a potential 1st line LW....a lot of juniors show at a point per game in their first year out of junior in the "A" .I am speaking of 1st line NHL candidates

As for Baertschi, respectfully he is a #2 line LWer at best, and he is now a 2X? concussed LWer, who has just started to skate again...…….

Gadjovich, has to pick up his skating to even be a AHL regular at this point, and it has been said so many times, much more learned people than myself...……..

(I might  be a little harder on him than any of the others.....I loved the pick at the time, and still hope all will turn out...he has time)

BUT in saying all this...………..not one has proven he can not do the job, and all 5 have the potential to improve and prove me wrong...….which as a Canuck fan, I would love if they all would

improve and again prove me wrong...…..

I don't think I have ever hidden my views on these players and Benning should be concerned, there is a lot of uncertainty with the #1 LW position

17 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Does this have something to do with Baertschi?

Sven has a bad concussion and now has a history with it.  I would almost not expect to see him this year.  Doesn't seem like he can stay healthy.  The nucks are probably already moving past him. 

On 12/4/2018 at 4:58 PM, samurai said:

Sven has a bad concussion and now has a history with it.  I would almost not expect to see him this year.  Doesn't seem like he can stay healthy.  The nucks are probably already moving past him. 

sounds like he could get back in the lineup in the next week or two.

Toronto fans seem to love Leivo, and are frustrated he didn't more of an opportunity. 16 goals in 89 games, some size at 6'2, still youngish at 25.  

At the end of the day he cost us nothing . He might end up being useless. But so was Phillip Holm, Brendan Leipsic, and Michael Carone (none of which cost any assets anyway). So this is pretty much no risk with potential medium reward (I'd cap Leivo at 20 goals, 40 points). 

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Toronto fans seem to love Leivo, and are frustrated he didn't more of an opportunity. 16 goals in 89 games, some size at 6'2, still youngish at 25.  

At the end of the day he cost us nothing . He might end up being useless. But so was Phillip Holm, Brendan Leipsic, and Michael Carone (none of which cost any assets anyway). So this is pretty much no risk with potential medium reward (I'd cap Leivo at 20 goals, 40 points). 

small sample size, but he looks like a solid, versatile NHL player, who can play up and down the lineup, to me

Archived