The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

On 12/22/2018 at 4:20 PM, The Lock said:

It's easy enough to look at Boston and think if JB sign's someone from there, he'll flop; however, it's not really associated with a particular team in my opinion. He's just had bad luck with players from Boston so far.... and I stress "so far". ;)

You're right, we've traded for Plenty of crap players from other teams too. Florida comes to mind

Weakes

Duco

Krajicek

Booth

Ballard

Oreskovich

On the flip side tbough, we did get Lu, Jovocop and Higgins.

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

You're right, we've traded for Plenty of crap players from other teams too. Florida comes to mind

Weakes

Duco

Krajicek

Booth

Ballard

Oreskovich

For what it's worth Ballard wasn't crap. Somebody had to play wit Alberts. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

My vote goes to

Shinkaruk for granlund.  

Or

Hansen for goldi + 4th round pick

I suspect I'll be in the minority.

I really believe Gudbrandson brings something near impossible to get to our team. We needed someone to clear the crease. It makes up for him not being a wizard with the puck. He is, however, fast enough to keep up with the pace we will want to push, even if he wont push the puck himself. Keep up with fast players defensively in match ups. A couple things Erik brings are important. Including character & leadership. I like when he played with his shoulder injury.  Even though he was a pending free agent. De Haan on the Island packed up shop to protect himself with a similar injury. Then left town. Where Guddy was rewarded for playing hurt by a contract offer. Which he accepted.  

It was not as big a ''steal,'' as McCann is an NHL player that we gave up versus Shinkaruk. And Leivo will be a steal as well. But Guddy, then Sutter offer the most to the team in value. What we need from them that we get, here on our roster? Sutter might be first if he was not so struck by injury. From players acquired by trade.

Guddy is a more important player to us than Leivo. So I like that trade.  

29 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I really believe Gudbrandson brings something near impossible to get to our team. We needed someone to clear the crease. It makes up for him not being a wizard with the puck. He is, however, fast enough to keep up with the pace we will want to push, even if he wont push the puck himself. Keep up with fast players defensively in match ups. A couple things Erik brings are important. Including character & leadership. I like when he played with his shoulder injury.  Even though he was a pending free agent. De Haan on the Island packed up shop to protect himself with a similar injury. Then left town. Where Guddy was rewarded for playing hurt by a contract offer. Which he accepted.  

It was not as big a ''steal,'' as McCann is an NHL player that we gave up versus Shinkaruk. And Leivo will be a steal as well. But Guddy, then Sutter offer the most to the team in value. What we need from them that we get, here on our roster? Sutter might be first if he was not so struck by injury. From players acquired by trade.

While I agree that Guddy brings value to our team. I don’t think that constitutes the deal as a good or the best trade.  For example Adam Larsson filled a much needed role to the oilers and they value him a ton, but no one in their right mind today would call that trade a good value trade.  I think what would constitute as a GM’s best trade (at least in my opinion) is being able to move an asset and make significant gains on the original investment.  

Which is why anytime anyone ever asks what’s the best trade in Vancouver history, the first thing that comes to fans minds is Naslund for stojanov

On 12/25/2018 at 6:00 PM, VIC_CITY said:

Weakes

Duco

Krajicek

Booth

Ballard

Oreskovich

I thought Duco was much better than the chance he was given on the team. Would have liked to see him get some opportunity on a line higher than the 4th.

11 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

While I agree that Guddy brings value to our team. I don’t think that constitutes the deal as a good or the best trade.  For example Adam Larsson filled a much needed role to the oilers and they value him a ton, but no one in their right mind today would call that trade a good value trade.  I think what would constitute as a GM’s best trade (at least in my opinion) is being able to move an asset and make significant gains on the original investment.  

Which is why anytime anyone ever asks what’s the best trade in Vancouver history, the first thing that comes to fans minds is Naslund for stojanov

If we had given up Taylor Hall (Boeser) for big Erik I would not be calling Guddy a win for Benning. Never mind his best trade. But I do get your point. its valid.

Yes Granlund was the most clear sided win. Leivo will be close. I even like Granlund, a very serviceable player. But if I could only do one, not the others? Even with the benefit of hindsight...  I place Gudrandson on our team.

On 12/22/2018 at 4:20 PM, The Lock said:

It's easy enough to look at Boston and think if JB sign's someone from there, he'll flop; however, it's not really associated with a particular team in my opinion. He's just had bad luck with players from Boston so far.... and I stress "so far". ;)

At least we didn't end up with the rumoured Spooner or Khoko.

On 12/30/2018 at 4:11 PM, TheRocket18 said:

Liking this addition and his effort to get off the ice after his shift, safe smart plays hope it keeps up.   Another shot never hurts... and it can come from outta nowhere and be facing a 3rd pairing D with our shooting depth.   

An interview on NHL Network the other day. They asked Sparks who has the hardest shot to stop at practice. He said Leivo. Interesting. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2018 at 2:22 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

I love that gudbranson is on this team. Even last game against the avs, when the avs started pushing and started creating havoc in the crease to try throwing off Markstrom, guddy is the only real deterrent we had. He would probably be one of the best 5th d-men in the league and can fill in on the top 4 without the team missing a beat. Add to that his size and ability to fight, along with his leadership, is take him over mcaan any day

45 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I love that gudbranson is on this team. Even last game against the avs, when the avs started pushing and started creating havoc in the crease to try throwing off Markstrom, guddy is the only real deterrent we had. He would probably be one of the best 5th d-men in the league and can fill in on the top 4 without the team missing a beat. Add to that his size and ability to fight, along with his leadership, is take him over mcaan any day

He was manhandling 6'4 220lb Rantanen all night long. I can guarantee that he is not looking to play against Guddy again.

45 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

He was always the odd man out but I always thought he could still be a upgrade to any line-up.

His numbers vs his TOI in Toronto always showed he was possibly more than they were seeing from him.

Solid pick up, the kind of bottom 6 guy teams need for deep runs

Archived