The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

His numbers vs his TOI in Toronto always showed he was possibly more than they were seeing from him.

Solid pick up, the kind of bottom 6 guy teams need for deep runs

Im surprised by his great hands. I thought he would play more direct power forward type but hes had some great dangles and his puck skill is quite good. 

On 2/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

MAN! Leivo looks like an absolute beaut some nights(servicable beaut on others). THIS was legalized larceny!

I read of comparisons to Higgins, Motte, Jannik, etc... Lock this kid in for 3 or 4 yrs. Thanks a bunch, Dubas.

I believe its pronounced "dumbass".

Brian Burke's comments between periods of last night's game were priceless......to paraphrase......Leivo was drafted during Burkes time in Toronto, they really wanted him, thought all along he would be a top 6 guy. He is glad to see Leivo get out of the void in Toronto. 

5 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Brian Burke's comments between periods of last night's game were priceless......to paraphrase......Leivo was drafted during Burkes time in Toronto, they really wanted him, thought all along he would be a top 6 guy. He is glad to see Leivo get out of the void in Toronto. 

I found that insight from Burke to be very encouraging. You could tell that they thought he had a ton of potential when they drafted him, but he got caught in that log jam of wingers in Toronto. Skill, size and speed. Not a bad a pickup. 

5 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Toronto probably should've kept a guy with potential nickname of The Maple Leivs.

I bet Josh was glad to Leivo Toronto though.

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/02/10/vancouver-canucks-josh-leivo-crucial-teams-success/

"Leivo carries an excellent 53.86 Corsi For percentage through his first 24 games with the Canucks, per Natural Stat Trick, along with a Goals For percentage of 67.86. Those are much better numbers than what he had posted in 27 games with Toronto (50.0 Corsi For and 58.33 Goals For percentage)."

Screenshot_20190210-143333_Chrome.jpg

Looks like he was used as a shutdown guy in Toronto, with deployment similar to that of Beagle here. 34% ozone starts, 30% ozone starts last season. Looks like they put a lid on his offensive potential by playing him as a shut down guy. Makes sense why in 27 games with Toronto he has fewer points than he has goals with us in 24 games. In his time with us he has 64% ozone starts. Complete night and day change in his deployment. Not to mention playing in our top 6 pretty regularly with guys like Petey, Boeser, and Horvat.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Looks like he was used as a shutdown guy in Toronto, with deployment similar to that of Beagle here. 34% ozone starts, 30% ozone starts last season. Looks like they put a lid on his offensive potential by playing him as a shut down guy. Makes sense why in 27 games with Toronto he has fewer points than he has goals with us in 24 games. In his time with us he has 64% ozone starts. Complete night and day change in his deployment. Not to mention playing in our top 6 pretty regularly with guys like Petey, Boeser, and Horvat.

5 of his even strength points are with EP and Brock, but he's also chipped in another 5 on 5 different lines: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/josh-leivo

So thats a good sign as well. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

5 of his even strength points are with EP and Brock, but he's also chipped in another 5 on 5 different lines: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/josh-leivo

So thats a good sign as well. 

He does seem to gain instant chemistry with everyone he plays with. Kinda reminds me of Santorelli when he was with us that one season. Except Santorelli had much more dzone starts.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Sounds like we should thank the Leafs for developing the defensive awareness of Leivo.  Now we have another young player, who can score, and be responsible defensively too.  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like we should thank the Leafs for developing the defensive awareness of Leivo.  Now we have another young player, who can score, and be responsible defensively too.  

Careful, praising Toronto is grounds for being a Toronto fan if your history with Maple Leafs' chatter is consistent.

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

thats $50 million dollar coaching right there 

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Its amazing that players get lost in the very system they are needed in! Not just the laffs either, all teams guilty of this. 

oh for sure, I just enjoying trashing the Leaves.

You do have to give Dubas some credit here, he was true to his word and moved Leivo when he got the chance and didn't bother much about the return. Same thing with Benning and Del Z I suspect. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Careful, praising Toronto is grounds for being a Toronto fan if your history with Maple Leafs' chatter is consistent.

I just forced myself to watch Willie “The Double Flamingo” Nylander brush his hair aside 25 times as punishment.  I need a drink. :frantic:

52 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Its amazing that players get lost in the very system they are needed in! Not just the laffs either, all teams guilty of this. 

I think credit also needs to go our our pro scouting staff and JB for recognizing this and going after him. Still tbd if he’s for real and where he will top out (people often get exited by new pieces we get in trades and they often don’t pan out long term), but he seems to have all the tools to be and effective top 9 player who can move up and down the lineup. Given we gave up a player who likely will never be an NHL regular, kudos to JB and team for getting an upgrade for cheap. 

Archived