The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

Leivo's 'objective outcomes':

35.6% ozone starts

50.7% corsi

15 giveaways, 15 takeaways.

22 hits, 5 blocks

4 goals, 6 pts in 27 games - half of each on the powerplay.

1.8 on ice goals for per 60, 1.5 against

8:52 ice time 5 on 5 per game, 1:39 pp ice time, no pk.

Where his numbers look the best are his shot and goals against metrics - good defensive and 'possession' numbers in high dzone starts.

Versatile enough that he can play up and down the lineup - so he could bring either a hard areas, forechecking and defensive support role to a young top 6 line, or he could enable the team to use him in the bottom six and move a player like Granlund into the top 6.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Let's be real, Carcone was never going to become a Canuck. He's a RW, which the Canucks have plenty of. Leivo helps the left side and he's got some size (4 inches taller and 25 heavier than Carcone). Does he have some speed? His NHL stats aren't anything to write home about, but maybe this change of scenery will help him?

I wonder what his thoughts are: He's from Ontario, was a Maple Leaf, who are poised to go deep in the playoffs this year, and now he's been traded to a bottom feeding team out west.

I hope he's a pro about it and gives it his all here. 

I was thinking the same thing. Gotta also think (hope) that its better than being put on waivers and picked up by an even worse, aging team.

8 minutes ago, Roberts said:

is Leivo actually a good player or has the Toronto media made him sound like a good player?

That is a good point. I think he's probably a pretty good player who wasn't able to squeak into that lineup. Asset management by the Leafs, get Leivo off the books, hide Carcone on the Marlies.

I expect more trades, maybe not right away. For instance, I can see Edler waiving to try and win with TOR. That would be great, as he would probably fetch us a 1st+ at the TDL. Edler would probably rather play in VAN his entire career like the Sedins, but he might also not be opposed to a trade if it's a good fit for him. TOR has a really good chance this year, it's a cosmopolitan city with lots of high end shopping and fine dining (Alex likes his nice stuff). It might only be a for a few months too, and he could always be re-signed in VAN in the off-season.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Let's be real, Carcone was never going to become a Canuck. He's a RW, which the Canucks have plenty of. Leivo helps the left side and he's got some size (4 inches taller and 25 heavier than Carcone). Does he have some speed? His NHL stats aren't anything to write home about, but maybe this change of scenery will help him?

I wonder what his thoughts are: He's from Ontario, was a Maple Leaf, who are poised to go deep in the playoffs this year, and now he's been traded to a bottom feeding team out west.

I hope he's a pro about it and gives it his all here. 

repeated rumours that Leivo has wanted out of Toronto - and lots of blame heaped on Babcock by fans for not giving him more opportunity.

take it all with a grain of salt and consider the comparable - CDC moping whenever particular pet-projects of fans are not shared by Green.

Anyhow - I like Leivo and don't doubt he'll 'be a pro' - and think he'll probably be a good fit here.

At the same time, people might want to stop assuming that a 22 yr old - who has 17 pts in 20 games in the AHL - is destined to be a career AHLer.   That's an unknown - that will be determined by Carcone, not people pretending to tell the future.

32 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"We're looking at all of our options now. We want to get younger, faster add more skill to our group. We'd also like to get bigger. I think we did that with Leivo today. If we can make our group better and it matches our plan long term, we'll make that move." - Benning

That's what I like to hear.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

repeated rumours that Leivo has wanted out of Toronto - and lots of blame heaped on Babcock by fans for not giving him more opportunity.

He straight up said "play me or trade me" in an interview at the start of last season.

25 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"When you're in my position, our fans understand we're playing young players and that's the future of our team. They'll be the core of our team going forward. You always want to walk the fine line of winning your share of games while developing players. It's been unfortunate to have so many injuries to our experienced players. It's not fair to our young guys to put so much pressure on them to win as they're finding their way in this league." - Benning

You're awesome, Jim. Never change.

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That is a good point. I think he's probably a pretty good player who wasn't able to squeak into that lineup. Asset management by the Leafs, get Leivo off the books, hide Carcone on the Marlies.

I expect more trades, maybe not right away. For instance, I can see Edler waiving to try and win with TOR. That would be great, as he would probably fetch us a 1st+ at the TDL. Edler would probably rather play in VAN his entire career like the Sedins, but he might also not be opposed to a trade if it's a good fit for him. TOR has a really good chance this year, it's a cosmopolitan city with lots of high end shopping and fine dining (Alex likes his nice stuff). It might only be a for a few months too, and he could always be re-signed in VAN in the off-season.

Leivo must be happy getting out of TO.  God, that city is a hole, and their team is a constant first round play off loser.  

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

He straight up said "play me or trade me" in an interview at the start of last season.

This makes me think two things. He's either extremely hungry/loves the game and just wants to play or that he feels like he should be handed the opportunities. I am hoping for the first one haha. I don't know too much about leivo off the ice but I like what I see on the ice.

Just now, Alflives said:

Leivo must be happy getting out of TO.  God, that city is a hole, and their team is a constant first round play off loser.  

Toronto's a pretty cool city. I enjoyed being there. The Leafs have a solid forward corps, but their defense will be their Achilles heel.

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

take it all with a grain of salt and consider the comparable - CDC moping whenever particular pet-projects of fans are not shared by Green.

Anyhow - I like Leivo and don't doubt he'll 'be a pro' - and think he'll probably be a good fit here.

At the same time, people might want to stop assuming that a 22 yr old - who has 17 pts in 20 games in the AHL - is destined to be a career AHLer.   That's an unknown - that will be determined by Carcone, not people pretending to tell the future.

Every time I watch him he just seems a step too slow going forward but he manages to produce regardless. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There's a lot to do in Toronto  - and a lot of diversity. 

It's their media/the way they represent themselves - and me-first mentality - that makes that city so annoying - but if you're there and can tolerate the fact you're in a 5-to-10-year time warp progress lag, it's not that bad.

Archived