The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Toronto media is basically saying this was a steal of a trade.  Across the board.  All talking heads agree.  What's the catch?

I heard the same thing, Leafs fans are livid of the deal, so it must mean its good for us. The Athletic writer that covers the Leafs said Leivo has some untapped scoring potential, avg defensively, above average skating but great in the corners with his size. Sounds like a bit of a Chris Higgins type of player

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Shore

Skille

Dowd

Boucher

Leipsic

Vey

Etem

and now this guy.

im sure I’m missing a few similar transactions.

JB has been pretty good at drafting at least.  

Shore - Did nothing

Skille - actually was pretty decent as a 4th liner

Dowd - did nothing

Boucher - scored a bit in bunches his first year here, just a lot of holes in his game to stay in the bigs

Leipsic - pretty good last year, below so so this year

Vey - who cares

Etem - see Vey

6 hours ago, cory40 said:

Saturday during the first intermission. Or second he was interviewed!

1st intermission of the Vegas game on Thursday.  

MacIntyre was talking about the challenges to form a lineup with the injuries and was saying that Green is trying to find good players who can finish to play with Horvat and Pettersson.  His quote was 'they have two front line centres but only have 1 front line winger now and it obviously hurts them that Baertschi has been out injured for so long'.  

Hard to know whether Goldobin would have gotten all those opportunities if Baertschi was healthy. With Leivo now also playing LW and Baer back skating does he even stay in the top-6.  I guess he could always move to RW.  Leivo has also played RW in Toronto.

It will be interesting to see where everyone fits in with a healthy lineup.

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I heard the same thing, Leafs fans are livid of the deal, so it must mean its good for us. The Athletic writer that covers the Leafs said Leivo has some untapped scoring potential, avg defensively, above average skating but great in the corners with his size. Sounds like a bit of a Chris Higgins type of player

Considering they felt the value of Andrew Neilsen could net them Tanev, they probably just thought Leivo was worth a Horvat or something like that. The reality is he does only have 4 goals in 27 games this year and is 25 years old already. I agree there is some untapped potential now that he will be given a bigger opportunity as he's no longer stuck behind the depth in Toronto, but it is now up to Leivo to take this and run with it.

I was trying to think of a comparable player and Higgins is a good one. Hopefully he's watched JVR a bit in Toronto and elevates his game to that level though.

21 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Horvat Leivo gonna be a thing?

Any player deserves a shot if he can prove to the coach he deserves it with appropriate work rate and performance.

But I also agree with Pav below. Just because we have a new shiny toy.  May not automatically mean he is top 6 material? Bo, like when Kesler played more minutes than Hank (every year) is hands down our 2C.  And the most important player ATM. Because he lets Pettersson be deployed favorably. And handles defensive deployments while Sutter & Beagle are out. 

21 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He is a bottom 6 forward, I wouldn't get too ahead of ourselves. Would prefer it if he was a LW, but should be serviceable for us and an upgrade over Carcone.

I like this cautionary not.  Lets let the coach decide if he's a top 6 forward.

What I can say with a similar cautionary certainty? If he was not a top 6 forward at age 25 in Toronto. He probably wont be a lock down top 6 here. 

But we are not as strong a team. And there is a good probability he can play some top 6 minutes here! I like the pick up!  

7 hours ago, xereau said:

Toronto media is basically saying this was a steal of a trade.  Across the board.  All talking heads agree.  What's the catch?

theres nothing fishy, he's a hard working player, who deserves a chance at the NHL.  Leafs fans are happy he is still in the NHL. hfboards.com leafs fans think Canucks won this trade, because he's a good bottom 6ixer with an outside chance of some top 6 time.

what happened here was, they think he was going to be waived, to make room for Nylander,  but based on his abilities, he's probably not going to clear, leafs knew that, Canucks knew that, too based on pecking order, instead of losing him for nothing they gained, a Ahl weapon, in Carcone (who was apparently one of comets best player).  

win trade, wouldn't call this a slam dunk too, since Carcone was a free agent signing, we gained a NHL player out of this, good deal.  

12 hours ago, cory40 said:

Have not been a Gagne fan, but I see the shaping up of his game! Goldy has the most to lose by this move as I can't see him sticking in the top 6 simply because, he seems to try and force low percentage plays costing valuable zone time. After Saturdays game and Ian Mac talking about the Canucks only having 1 top 6 winger in Boeser and Baer on the way making it two, I am not surprised by a new face. I doubt it stops here! I watched three games with my eye on EP! And I noticed Goldy's ability to not pass to EP stand out like a sore thumb! Your going to play on a top line you better use the players your with!  

Is Goldy a bottom 6 guy? I am seeing the end of Goldys try-out. He might have 5 or 6 games to get things going. But I think its over as of now. And barring injury he doesn't see ice with EP again!

There's also the issue that you can't be passing to EP every single time because it's much too easy to just guard his threat. Instead, you want to look for other options. The problem is that nobody else is REALLY open. I do believe that Goldy is an above-average passer, but people need to get open for him to dish it out.

8 hours ago, cory40 said:

Just watch! I hope I am wrong. But from a hockey mind even the Canucks brass has said recently that they only have one top 6 winger and that's Brock. Ian Macintyre has stated that from quoting Canucks management. 

I recall the panel saying something along those lines but I have never heard the franchise say as such.

Leivo has also paid his dues. Been put through the development path and looked good doing it. The more I look at it, the more I like it!

Was drafted 3rd round 2011 after just a 30 point in 64 game draft year with Sudbury in the OHL.  Was he a teammate of Corrado BTW?  Do their time frames align? But after a strong play off finish with 13 points and 6 goals in 8 games. Where he boosted his draft stock. In some regards he is like Gadgy and Virtanen. So obviously his draft year was not as impressive as the 40 goal years by Jonah & Jake. But both those guys regressed their draft plus one years.

Where Leivo went forward and had a 30 goal over 70 point draft plus one year in the OHL. Then a 40 goal draft plus 2 year. He's also a somewhat similar guy to Jake and Gadjovich. Not quite as big, and faster than Gadgy. But also plays a sturdy game & 201 lbs for 6'1'' is not small by any means either. And followed that up with a much better 22 goal and 40 plus point rookie AHL season. That, in 2013 / 14 was better than either Jakes draft plus 3 (back to) AHL season. Or Gadjovich's drfat plus two rookie pro season.  His draft plus 4 season had 48 points in 51 games, And in between all three seasons, dating back to finishing junior, he earned some call ups & was productive when he did appear.

Between 2015-16 & 2016-17 he earned more callups. And produced a very healthy 15 points in 25 games doing so at the NHL level. Everything about his results suggest Leivo is a result of a long, hard, but positive development curve. But looks like when he just seemed to have caught a break and was producing at the NHL level?

Started having injury problems. Leivo only played 34 total games the last two years, all but 5 of them in the NHL.

And perhaps regressed this year, but still made the squad with Toronto. Was simply passed by first round talent & athleticism in the form of Kasperi Kapanen. As his depth chart competition. No shame in that? Kapanen himself was forced positively through a development path to get past Leivo?  And its a lesson that may hold true for guys like Gadjovich, or Cole Lind that even if they progress? They will have to earn a spot! But Leivo also still made the squad with Nylander out.  

So here we were, with Josh being a viable middle 6 winger by all performances. And Toronto not having room for him...   Suddenly he is a Canuck! 

22 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

22 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Discussion between Benning and Dubas started just this morning.

Here is to Benning on this trade!  Here here!

Benning spotted that with Nylander coming in. Leivo was going to be the odd man out?  

But I also would like to pay my respect to Dubas in this move.  Its very possible that Benning had lots of leverage. He was possibly going to end up on waivers to make room for Nylander. And Dubas ''was just getting something?'' I spent time noting in some recent posts that Leivo had put long, hard & positive years into his development with Toronto. Appeared a productive middle 6 NHL winger. Perhaps got lost with injuries the last two years. And passed by, say Kapanen, or Johansen. But nonetheless, was a winger playing hard minutes and producing middle 6 NHL numbers. Who deserved a shot in the NHL after doing those many hard yards, positively, in Toronto's system.

I respect that Dubas also helped find a positive NHL situation for Leivo.  Its a win-win. 

20 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I'm not too sure about that as he only played between 7:24 and 12:15 through his first 5 games of the season. Maybe he only lasted 1 period though...:unsure:

I see, good on you for fact checking and critical thinking. Babcock may have just been trying him due to some circumstance for another top 6 player.

Archived