The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Your opinion of his pro acquisitions wasn't interesting - I was responding to Mo Grit, period.

If you want to talk about Benning's pro acquisitions:

Sutter

Gudbranson

Baertschi

Granlund

Motte

Goldobin

Dahlen

Leivo

Pouliot

Lemme guess:

You'd rather have Kesler, Shinkaruk, Vanek, Hansen, Burrows, Carcone, Andrey Pedan and a pick?

Obviously 29 other GM's were offering more but he turned them all down for parts with the epic pieces he had to dangle

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Your opinion of his pro acquisitions wasn't interesting - I was responding to Mo Grit, period.

Sutter

Gudbranson

Baertschi

Granlund

Motte

Goldobin

Dahlen

Leivo

Pouliot

Lemme guess:

You'd rather have Kesler, Shinkaruk, Vanek, Hansen, Burrows, Carcone, Andrey Pedan and a pick?

lol, of the players traded away only 3 (kegler, vanek, mccann) are left in the nhl and two kinda suck but one really sucks as does his contract

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sutter

Gudbranson

Baertschi

Granlund

Motte

Goldobin

Dahlen

Leivo

Pouliot

Lemme guess:

You forgot Vey..

I would probably prefer Rasmus Andersson over Baertschi but all in all it's not bad. Not a fan of drafting Virtanen and OJ but EP and BB have been great picks. I would say JB has done a decent job all in all.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You forgot Vey..

I would probably prefer Rasmus Andersson over Baertschi but all in all it's not bad. Not a fan of drafting Virtanen and OJ but EP and BB have been great picks. I would say JB has done a decent job all in all.

Vey is gone. 

So is Leipsic (for Holm).

Dowd for Subban.

Etem for Jensen

Prust for Kassian.

None of which I consider particularly consequential.  Except maybe the Kassian deal.  Now that he has recovered, I'd be happy to flip Gagner back to the Coil for him.  They need skilled wingerz!

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Vey is gone. 

Dowd for Subban.

Etem for Jensen

Prust for Kassian.

None of which I consider particularly consequential.  Except maybe the Kassian deal.  Now that he has recovered, I'd be happy to flip Gagner back to the Coil for him.  They need skilled wingerz!

I wonder how kassian would do with EP and Brock???

30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Vey is gone. 

Dowd for Subban.

Etem for Jensen

Prust for Kassian.

And they want/wanted to move Kassian. I always liked him.

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

The Sedins were fed up with Kassian and they never speak out about anyone. That tells you how much of a cancer he was.

Bieksa apparently had enough of him as well. Earlier this year on after hours bieksa was asked about his patented superman punch and he told Scott that he threw one at kassian in an elevator.

8 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Bieksa apparently had enough of him as well. Earlier this year on after hours bieksa was asked about his patented superman punch and he told Scott that he threw one at kassian in an elevator.

I could be reading him all wrong, but the vibe I got from Kassian was he was just real dumb. You ever have a guy around that might not be a huge A hole by nature, but just says ridiculous and stupid things because he was just real dumb. Or maybe it was just he exceedingly punchable face. Regardless I was happy when we traded him because it seemed like a lot of well respected players didn't like him as a teammate.

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I could be reading him all wrong, but the vibe I got from Kassian was he was just real dumb. You ever have a guy around that might not be a huge A hole by nature, but just says ridiculous and stupid things because he was just real dumb. Or maybe it was just he exceedingly punchable face. Regardless I was happy when we traded him because it seemed like a lot of well respected players didn't like him as a teammate.

On a side note. I remember reading somewhere that Henrik said Kassian was one of the funniest guys he ever played with. I loved Zack and the kid entertained the heck out of me. I'd take him back in a heartbeat. He would take on anyone taking liberties on the kids. 

The Sedins were also critical of Virtanen and McCann in their rookie seasons and I think both those guys will tell you that the criticism was justified. I don't think Kassian was a "lockeroom cancer" per se but I think both management and players were frustrated with him. That frustration comes when you see someone who you share a common goal with but that person isn't making enough of an effort at pulling their own weight. Eventually Benning decided that we were done praying for Kassian to grow up and take his career seriously. Clearly it worked out for him as well as he was able to find the help he needed to get past his demons.

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

Sutter

Gudbranson

Baertschi

Granlund

Motte

Goldobin

Dahlen

Leivo

Pouliot

Lemme guess:

lol, quite the rosy way of putting it.

If you want to go through the wins/losses for each trade, we can do that.

Staying on topic, you conveniently forgot to include:

- Vey

- Clendening

- Larsen

- Sbisa

- Etem

Combining our two lists, you can say Baertschi was a win (ignoring the player Calgary took with our pick, who's a good one) and Leivo.

TBD on Goldobin and Dahlen, although I did like those trades when they happened.

Overall, it's a sorry list.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

On a side note. I remember reading somewhere that Henrik said Kassian was one of the funniest guys he ever played with. I loved Zack and the kid entertained the heck out of me. I'd take him back in a heartbeat. He would take on anyone taking liberties on the kids. 

I always liked him as well - in spite of the fact it seemed clear that he had some problems.

A person can grow up a lot in 4 years - particularly through that stage of their life - a lot of us don't grow our brains until we're 25...

Zack can skate, he's relatively fearless, he has really good hands for a big guy - and some good vision (he used to make some really impressive passes in his time here).

He's also grown into a role where he gets 39% ozone starts (has pretty good 'possession' numbers in those minutes = 49.3% corsi) and is 4th among Oiler forwards in PK minutes this year - so he's a frequent part of one of their two pk units.  8 goals is also not bad in that context - would tie him for 7th on this team.

Is he ever going to be the player that Buffalo or Vancouver hoped he'd become?  Maybe not - but he's developed into a pretty serviceable depth forward that makes any team harder to play against - and he's engaged in making himself a more complete, mindful player without the puck (and was never as bad as some people around here perceived....they tend to judge hockey intelligence by the look on a player's face - and sandbag young guys like Kassian - or Virtanen, ironically, who is also quite a mindful player without the puck).

Anyhow - would we spend much to bring Kassian over? = no - but if there's a reasonable depth hockey trade to be made, I'd make Gagner a Coiler again in a heartbeat - particularly with the M.A.S.H. ghosts preying on this team again.   Do we "need" Kassian = probably not - we have fairly good, serviceable depth like Gaudette, MacEwen,  Kero, Gaunce, etc at the AHL level to call up - but if we could swap out a contract for him....and none of our forwards quite bring the heaviness/intimidation factor that Kassian can.   We have some youth at the top of the lineup that could be served well by a heavy forward in the lineup (I love MacEwen, but he's not quite that - at least not yet).

Archived