The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

On 2/15/2019 at 12:22 PM, oldnews said:

I always liked him as well - in spite of the fact it seemed clear that he had some problems.

A person can grow up a lot in 4 years - particularly through that stage of their life - a lot of us don't grow our brains until we're 25...

Zack can skate, he's relatively fearless, he has really good hands for a big guy - and some good vision (he used to make some really impressive passes in his time here).

He's also grown into a role where he gets 39% ozone starts (has pretty good 'possession' numbers in those minutes = 49.3% corsi) and is 4th among Oiler forwards in PK minutes this year - so he's a frequent part of one of their two pk units.  8 goals is also not bad in that context - would tie him for 7th on this team.

Is he ever going to be the player that Buffalo or Vancouver hoped he'd become?  Maybe not - but he's developed into a pretty serviceable depth forward that makes any team harder to play against - and he's engaged in making himself a more complete, mindful player without the puck (and was never as bad as some people around here perceived....they tend to judge hockey intelligence by the look on a player's face - and sandbag young guys like Kassian - or Virtanen, ironically, who is also quite a mindful player without the puck).

Anyhow - would we spend much to bring Kassian over? = no - but if there's a reasonable depth hockey trade to be made, I'd make Gagner a Coiler again in a heartbeat - particularly with the M.A.S.H. ghosts preying on this team again.   Do we "need" Kassian = probably not - we have fairly good, serviceable depth like Gaudette, MacEwen,  Kero, Gaunce, etc at the AHL level to call up - but if we could swap out a contract for him....and none of our forwards quite bring the heaviness/intimidation factor that Kassian can.   We have some youth at the top of the lineup that could be served well by a heavy forward in the lineup (I love MacEwen, but he's not quite that - at least not yet).

Kassian is another one of these kids that were brought up to the NHL to quickly for their emotional well being. He had a tough time growing up with his father gone. His emotional background cried for some kind of treatment. The fact that he is still playing in the NHL is a testament to his underlying character IMO. I would take Zach back but I doubt Hitch would give him up.

Archived