Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

27 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

Decent move. Wonder if he gets a shot in Bo's lw

I’m sure he gets an audition before Bartschi returns 

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Either Gaudette or Gagner would be the easiest to demote.  Schaller is a candidate for waivers.

I think the guy who gets hurt by this the most is Virtanen.  If Leivo gets top-6 opportunity right away, then that seems like a bit of a slap in the face to Jake.  Jake's been playing well enough to deserve a spot in the top 6.

the lost Leipsic, they can't afford to lose anymore depth.  It's got to be Gaudette

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SuitnTie said:

Looks like we gave up a bottom 6 AHL guy for a bottom 6 maybe potential for top 6 NHL guy. Good trade for Vancouver if you ask me! 

17pts in 20 games for a 22 year old in the ahl isn’t “bottom 6 AHL numbers”. If anything we just made a trade for a player who is nhl ready and got rid of a guy who has the same potential.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Let's be real, Carcone was never going to become a Canuck. He's a RW, which the Canucks have plenty of. Leivo helps the left side and he's got some size (4 inches taller and 25 heavier than Carcone). Does he have some speed? His NHL stats aren't anything to write home about, but maybe this change of scenery will help him?

I wonder what his thoughts are: He's from Ontario, was a Maple Leaf, who are poised to go deep in the playoffs this year, and now he's been traded to a bottom feeding team out west.

I hope he's a pro about it and gives it his all here. 

There was a rumour earlier this year in Feb that he wanted a trade out of Toronto because he was getting the same treatment as Corrado. Always scratched and he just wanted to play hockey.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

the lost Leipsic, they can't afford to lose anymore depth.  It's got to be Gaudette

Has Gagner been up long enough to need waivers to be sent down again?  He was only called up in mid-November and my understanding was that teams have 30-days to send players back down without requiring waivers.

I'm not saying Gagner deserves to be sent down.

I agree that Gaudette is the easier player to send down in general.  He's played well but he could use seasoning in the AHL.

This trade should push Shaller to up his game. I'm hoping for more physicality from Shaller to help the team and carve out his niche. 

Is Leivo simply a  better place-holder than who we currently have as a place-holder, like Gagner? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Really like this deal. Leivo is relatively young at 25 and brings size and physicality which the team definitely could use especially at left wing.

Same draft class as Baertschi, Granlund, Boucher.

9 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

17pts in 20 games for a 22 year old in the ahl isn’t “bottom 6 AHL numbers”. If anything we just made a trade for a player who is nhl ready and got rid of a guy who has the same potential.

If your quoting AHL numbers Leivo's are pretty good as well. More of a trade based on needs. We need some beef on the roster. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

This trade should push Shaller to up his game. I'm hoping for more physicality from Shaller to help the team and carve out his niche. 

....and I think it schall !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

If your quoting AHL numbers Leivo's are pretty good as well. More of a trade based on needs. We need some beef on the roster. 

Once we're healthy Gaudette would likely also take on 1C duty in Utica. Would be really good for his development curve. 

Really liking this trade.

• Upvote 1

Love this trade!! I believe Leivo's name has been thrown around on CDC for quite some time... let's hope he's an upgrade over Leipsic/Gagner!! 

30 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He is a bottom 6 forward, I wouldn't get too ahead of ourselves. Would prefer it if he was a LW, but should be serviceable for us and an upgrade over Carcone.

He is listed as a LW but with a right hand shot... just like Ovechkin! 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder what his thoughts are: He's from Ontario, was a Maple Leaf, who are poised to go deep in the playoffs this year, and now he's been traded to a bottom feeding team out west.

I hope he's a pro about it and gives it his all here. 

Given the healthy scratches and trade request, I bet he is stoked to come to a young, but rapidly growing franchise in a beautiful city. Would you rather play next to Komarov or Petey?  Or hell even Bo or Sutter? I am sure he is happy with the deal rather than getting waived.  

• Upvote 1