The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

Smart move by Benning to take advantage of the Leafs over-abundance of forward depth. Traded basically a player we'll never see here, for an NHL middle 6 LWer who has yet to really show his stuff. Jim is a heck of a drafter, but he also makes decent trades too.

9 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Well they certainly didn't trade for his scoring ability either.

I dont know about that Leivo has a really good shot and has 14 goals with limited minutes. Potentially can become a 20-25 goal scorer.

Just now, Dombrova22 said:

Smh. Leivo has been stuck playing less than 10 minutes a night. Give the guy a chance to play for your team before you start slamming him already. 

He's 25 and never done much of anything, if he was a banger at least that would be something we need.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

If your quoting AHL numbers Leivo's are pretty good as well. More of a trade based on needs. We need some beef on the roster. 

Yes I understand that. I just don’t like labelling carcone as a “bottom 6 AHL player” when Leivo had very similar AHL stats..

Leivo seems like the kind of depth guy that every team needs for a run in the playoffs.  If Leivo can carve out a spot with the Canucks, then he might be arriving at the right time if the team can address its remaining weaknesses.

On a healthy roster (with Baertschi as the only guy out), I could see the forwards lining up as:

Leivo-Horvat-Virtanen

Goldobin-Pettersson-Boeser

Roussel-Sutter-Eriksson

Motte-Beagle-Granlund

Schaller

Leivo gives the Canucks a guy who should have the size and strength to win board battles.  Losing Leipsic means a loss of skill in the line-up but that skill didn't seem to have much space to be used without stronger board players so maybe Leivo will help.

Scouting Report ( https://mapleleafshotstove.com/prospects/josh-leivo/ ) - sounds promising

Josh Leivo Scouting Report

Scouting Report by Ian Dudgeon (@Dudgee)

Third round pick from two years ago is rapidly moving up the Maple Leafs prospect forward depth charts. Displaying many power forward tendencies, Levio will throw some big hits and muck about in corners, but chooses his opponents carefully. Aggressive on the puck and as a forechecker when he chooses to engage, often sitting back , watching the play develop, then in a few steps can get into scoring areas. Creates a lot of room for himself using this tactic. Shows good decision making instincts, knowing when to dump and chase vs. attempt to stickhandle past 3 defenders. Works hard along the boards in battles and uses his big frame to protect the puck. Possesses a quick wrist shot capable of getting up high in a hurry and in close. Will follow up on shots at the net looking for rebounds and often capitalizes. Moves relatively well for a long-legged lanky frame showing good speed able to cover a lot of ice with minimal effort, however can often be construed as coasting. Needs to move his feet more and not take wide circles to change directions, applying more stop-starts and abrupt changes in direction. Solid carrying the puck, he will back defenders off and keep them guessing. Likes to hang high in the offensive zone and down low in the defensive zone — indicative of a natural tendency of a centre, however could be due to a coached positional approach. Reasonably sound defensive responsibility, will drop low in his zone or pursue point men. Anticipates well defensively, gets in passing lanes.

Projection: Too soon to call it, but Leivo likely makes the NHL by continuing to establish that he can score in close and capitalize on rebounds, be a reliable two-way player and will keep the wheels moving all shift long. There is enormous upside here.

2 minutes ago, ohmy said:

Except that trade is something. Traded an AHL player for an NHL player. Win Benning. 

^ pretty much this. Another guy on that 100 game bubble.... 

On the surface it seems like why waive Leipsic for Leivo if you just look at career production which is basically equivalent, but Leivo has had far less o-zone time and has much better possession numbers particularly considering most of that is in his own zone. 

I think Green will try him with EPs line since that one needs some defensive help and Leivo did have a 23 goal season in the AHL once. My bet is we'll see this tried out: 

Goldy-Horvat-Virtanen

Leivo-EP-Boeser

46 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

Decent deal and worth a shot imo the only thing I'd say is I'd like to see a player like Carcone get the chance to get a few games in with the Canucks to see how his tools tenacity, speed and some skill translate in the NHL before trading him.

I was actually hoping as far back as last season get a look at Carcone seeing how many injuries we've had the last 2 seasons and how speed was an issue at times.

I think Carcone has a chance from what I'd seen of him and tools he possesses I'm curious to see how they both do.

I think Benning has earned some trust in this regard e.g. by trading Shinkaruk before everyone else realized that he wasn't an NHL.er. If Carcone had gotten a look in the majors, then it would be much easier for others to determine his potential, now they have to guess based on his minor league play. So hopefully this is a sell high move for potential that doesn't pan out.

Archived