The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Michael Carcone to Maple Leafs for Josh Leivo

Shinkaruk was a Gillis draft pick. Enough said. What a waste of a 1st round pick. The Canucks got Granlund in return from the trade, who has been a decent player for the Canucks for the past 4 seasons. Where's Hunter? Playing with Laval, and not making any noise there. 

This trade is similar. Carcone was never going to be a Canucks player, better players ahead of him. Canucks got Leivo basically for nothing. We still don't know how that will work out, but my guess is he'll get more NHL points than Carcone.

9 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Scouting Report ( https://mapleleafshotstove.com/prospects/josh-leivo/ ) - sounds promising

Josh Leivo Scouting Report

Scouting Report by Ian Dudgeon (@Dudgee)

Third round pick from two years ago is rapidly moving up the Maple Leafs prospect forward depth charts. Displaying many power forward tendencies, Levio will throw some big hits and muck about in corners, but chooses his opponents carefully. Aggressive on the puck and as a forechecker when he chooses to engage, often sitting back , watching the play develop, then in a few steps can get into scoring areas. Creates a lot of room for himself using this tactic. Shows good decision making instincts, knowing when to dump and chase vs. attempt to stickhandle past 3 defenders. Works hard along the boards in battles and uses his big frame to protect the puck. Possesses a quick wrist shot capable of getting up high in a hurry and in close. Will follow up on shots at the net looking for rebounds and often capitalizes. Moves relatively well for a long-legged lanky frame showing good speed able to cover a lot of ice with minimal effort, however can often be construed as coasting. Needs to move his feet more and not take wide circles to change directions, applying more stop-starts and abrupt changes in direction. Solid carrying the puck, he will back defenders off and keep them guessing. Likes to hang high in the offensive zone and down low in the defensive zone — indicative of a natural tendency of a centre, however could be due to a coached positional approach. Reasonably sound defensive responsibility, will drop low in his zone or pursue point men. Anticipates well defensively, gets in passing lanes.

Projection: Too soon to call it, but Leivo likely makes the NHL by continuing to establish that he can score in close and capitalize on rebounds, be a reliable two-way player and will keep the wheels moving all shift long. There is enormous upside here.

Hmmm. Good fit with EP?

4 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Those lines are confusing me.lol

Actually don't mind seeing Goldy, Gaudette, Virtanen, that could be a half decent 3rd line.

Granlund brings some defensive ability to EP40/Boeser's line (while also skilled enough to not look entirely out of place).

Eriksson, Horvat Gagner is what it is.

I'd sit Schaller and play Roussell, Beagle Motte myself.

Green can spin the wheel to see where Leivo eventually plugs in :lol:

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

^ pretty much this. Another guy on that 100 game bubble.... 

On the surface it seems like why waive Leipsic for Leivo if you just look at career production which is basically equivalent, but Leivo has had far less o-zone time and has much better possession numbers particularly considering most of that is in his own zone. 

I think Green will try him with EPs line since that one needs some defensive help and Leivo did have a 23 goal season in the AHL once. My bet is we'll see this tried out: 

Goldy-Horvat-Virtanen

Leivo-EP-Boeser

I like that mix they could mesh well. A little more size and strong board play for Boes and Ep. A little more creative skill for the power games of Bo and Tuna. 

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Poor Horvat always getting stuck with the trash. 

No kidding. He's their future captain, been carrying this team all year, yet he gets the Eriksson's and Gagner's of the roster on his line. I'm just glad he's loves the extra responsibility and he would never complain. Great team guy. 

6 minutes ago, combover said:

Gagner has been pretty decent since he's been back.  And well, Littlethinger has to go somewhere.  Tells me that Bo is going to be taking the reigns in the O zone with Beagle back.  Hooray.

9 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

I am so tired of watching Eriksson play.   BUY _OUT?

We used our two freebie buyouts long, long ago.  If we buy out Littlethinger, we are stuck with a 5mil caphit for the duration of his contract.  Only way out is a trade, LTIR, or, just play him.

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Goldy, Pettersson, Boeser

Leivo, Horvat, Virtanen

Eriksson, Gaudette, Granlund

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

I'd like a temporary look at:

Goldy, Horvat, Virtanen 

Leivo, Pettersson, Boeser

Eriksson, Gaudette, Granlund

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

...just to see how it goes. 

• Gives Jake some time on the top line -- for which he is well deserving IMO. 
  • Goldy's chances offensively stay about the same. 
  • Most importantly, adds a bigger body and some pushback (still with offensive upside) to Petersson/Boeser which they badly need. 

Just now, xereau said:

Gagner has been pretty decent since he's been back.  And well, Littlethinger has to go somewhere.  Tells me that Bo is going to be taking the reigns in the O zone with Beagle back.  Hooray.

I’m have just never been a fan of gags hes like a kid with add constantly   moving but achieving nothing. Erisdone just here for pay checks. 

I think your right thou with beagle back he should get more o zones and less on and off the ice. 

Horvat should have been named the captian the guy is a team first no complaining warrior. 

6 minutes ago, combover said:

Yes indeed he does get the trash ! That’s why he doesn’t make a play , instead he just takes it to the net , & that’s not always work’n out for him !’ He needs a skilled winger with some finesse! & that’s what jimbo needs to be look’n for, because Green is just gonna keep giving him trash to work with ! It’s a waste of talent. He needs Boeser & Bearchie , Ep was fine with Goldy & Eriksson 

"He's a player we've had our eye one for a while... With us, he'll get a chance to play in our top 9, maybe the top 2 lines. He's smart, he's got a good release on his shot. We're excited to get him and he's excited." - Benning on Leivo

Benning also mentioned Josh Leivo is flying in from Toronto today and will play tomorrow for the Canucks.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Discussion between Benning and Dubas started just this morning.

Clearly JB realized that little Kyle hadn't been properly initiated into NHL GMing yet, after only playing pattycake with velvety oldman Lou.  Uncle Jim brought him out to the woodshed for his proper induction.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Clearly JB realized that little Kyle hadn't been properly initiated into NHL GMing yet, after only playing pattycake with velvety oldman Lou.  Uncle Jim brought him out to the woodshed for his proper induction.

He must like it because Nylander and his team did the same.

Archived