The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Denmark Plans to Isolate Unwanted Migrants on a Small Island

Ryan Strome

16 minutes ago, Baer. said:

They aren't being imprisoned. They are being moved to an island (which, I looked up, is only a couple hours travel from downtown Copenhagen), to live there until they can be dealt with.

Its like a refugee camp.  And does have security so you cant escape.

Call it what you will...

Australia's current RW administration drops people in a similar place called Manis Island. (spelling?) An Indonesian centre instead of on Australian soil. With the message that they wont be processed as refugee's. Arrive on a boat, no hope! It has barbed wire, and armed guards.

The position Denmark is making both has some merit. And a larger dose that we, as a world, need to have some acceptance of the circumstance that people find themselves in.  I have a healthy dose of compassion as my own grandfather arrived in Canada on a boat after world war one. He was (presumed) an orphan and had no idea what happened to his parents.

I proudly sponsored a refugee some 30 years ago. An Ethiopian boy when I still lived in Canada.. A political, not famine refugee.  He lived in my house. Then worked two jobs so he could have his own place. Pay rent while he put himself first through high school. Then university and he did receive public help even though he was a foreigner. Nowadays, long after he left my house, he is a Doctor.

Not all refugee's are Trumps stereotype gangsters and villains. But they exist as well, and are part of why detaining, and security checking refugee's is unfortunately necessary.   I am still for processing and finding ways of treating people with human dignity.   

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do they have a choice?  Are they allowed to leave?  Detention center, or prison.  Sounds the same to me.  If these people are criminals, why not just put them into prisons?  If they have committed no crimes, then why are they being 'moved' to an island?  

" foreigners who have been convicted of crimes and rejected asylum seekers who cannot be returned to their home countries." 

" Foreigners will be required to report at the island center daily, and face imprisonment if they do not."

-The # ferries to the island will be minimized as well.  It seems that, as long as they check in daily, they can move about as they please (although it's an awful cold place to 'move about").

-If they put them in the regular prisons, they would probably be slaughtered by the general population.

-They all have convictions, but as Down by the River has said, the real factors are; where they received the conviction (kangaroo court in original country or in Denmark) and the severity of the crime (one would think it would be for terrorist, murderers, rapist).  If they have no convictions, they are not eligible for a Lindholm Island holiday.B) 

2 hours ago, Fateless said:

Same country that houses the Faroe Islands and allows the slaughter of thousands of Pilot whales, dolphins, porpoises, and even some endanged whale species each year because it is "culturally important" to them, even though they can't even eat the vast majority of the meat as its toxic. 

I'd say I'm surprised, but I'm not. 

Kinda crazy that I end up seeing this topic brought up on this website because it's something I actually care about. Perhaps not in the way you want me to care about it. I find it equally disgusting that you and many others just cast these people away as whale and dolphin killers that do it for fun and games. 

Do you understand what it's like to grow up on a rock out in the ocean? It's so windy and cold there that the only vegetation that's actually able to grow in your surroundings is grass. No trees. Barely any bushes. The ground can barely be used for agriculture so you can't exactly have a garden. The little you get from that garden is nowhere near what you would need to feed a family. These people have survived through generations by living off what little food they have available to them in their environment. Is it weird that because of their history they have actually somehow grown fond of eating half toxic whale flubber? Is it not okay for these guys out on this rock to also be able to enjoy their history through traditions? Just like we do? Just like I'm sure you do. Just because it's different from what you have been brought up to view as "acceptable" to eat, doesn't mean that it is the reality in another place in the world. It's exactly like that Xhaoiling festival in China where they eat dogs. I find that revolting. I still respect it though because there it is viewed as okay. Who is to say that either of you or me are right in this? Who's to say that eating dogs is not okay? 

I think it's absolutely disgusting with dolphin hunting in Japan or Shark fin hunting in the gulf of Mexico. It disgusts me. It truly, truly does. 

This is different. This is out of need. This is because there was nothing else to eat. This is because there are no freaking plants on the island. It really pisses me off that people like you push this agenda on the Faroese who are not illminded whatsoever in their actions. 

They eat a bunch of weird stuff in Vietnam that makes my stomach turn just thinking of it. They eat it because during tough times they had to. Those became appreciated. Those dishes became tradition. Those dishes are still served today. 

I am behind ya on most fronts, believe me, but don't come and point your fingers at the Faroe Islands when you can order a pizza to your house whenever you want. I suggest you watch Bizzarre Foods episode on Faroe Islands. 

I have friends from Iceland. They eat FERMENTED shark and like it. They eat it because in the old days when there was nothing else but rotten shark meat to eat, they ate it and started liking it. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I am actually for it so long as it stays under these quoted terms and conditions.  100 people who have not met the criteria for refugee or asylum status or convicted criminals.  Limbo should not be just a word, it should have a real world location and I think Denmark found it.  

On Friday, the center-right government and the right-wing Danish People’s Party announced an agreement to house as many as 100 people on Lindholm Island — foreigners who have been convicted of crimes and rejected asylum seekers who cannot be returned to their home countries.

yeah but you know its just the opening the Danish alt-right wants. This is what jails are for if people are actually criminals. They will try to extend the use of this. 

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Cool!  One place I'd love to visit (likely too old now though) is Australia.   

I think it was meant to show that this casting people to an island is not a new idea. 

Here is my answer. Already wrapped up in an earlier post where Australia stands today by comparison...

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its like a refugee camp.  And does have security so you cant escape.

Call it what you will...

Australia's current RW administration drops people in a similar place called Manis Island. (spelling?) An Indonesian centre instead of on Australian soil. With the message that they wont be processed as refugee's. Arrive on a boat, no hope! It has barbed wire, and armed guards.

And funny enough, yes the historical background was banishing convicts to Australia. A British solution to its then current problems. At home & at the colony. 

It was a ''solution'' to labour & cost effective labour shortages and other issues facing the colony.ie you dig ditches and build roads with only the cost of locking up at night & more or less feeding said criminals. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do they have a choice?  Are they allowed to leave?  Detention center, or prison.  Sounds the same to me.  If these people are criminals, why not just put them into prisons?  If they have committed no crimes, then why are they being 'moved' to an island?  

I think you need to read the article again.

Archived