The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Denmark Plans to Isolate Unwanted Migrants on a Small Island

Ryan Strome

7 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

The western world isn't perfect  but there are many good reasons it is preferable to the developing world. Now would you care to answer my question ?

which aspect of it? its a pretty general question. 

What I was getting at is movement of people is a key part of the success of western democracies. The alt-right paranoia that leads to reactionary nativist polices works against that. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

which aspect of it? its a pretty general question. 

What I was getting at is movement of people is a key part of the success of western democracies. The alt-right paranoia that leads to reactionary nativist polices works against that. 

Quality of life , levels of corruption, treatment of women, overall functionality, things like that.  Also it seems that the parts of the world you take issue with are much less homogenous than others .  Obviously there are those 'alt-right 'types that take issue with this but there is still much acceptance of those from other places /cultures.  I don't think it's is fair to portray the western world at large as being wholly supportive of the alt-right philosophy . Also I wouldn't say that being pragmatic about how you go about incorporating large amounts of un-vetted refugees/migrants does not equal xenophobia.  I say this as an immigrant myself, albeit from a region with values consistent with Canada.

2 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Quality of life , levels of corruption, treatment of women, overall functionality, things like that.  Also it seems that the parts of the world you take issue with are much less homogenous than others .  Obviously there are those 'alt-right 'types that take issue with this but there is still much acceptance of those from other places /cultures.  I don't think it's is fair to portray the western world at large as being wholly supportive of the alt-right philosophy . Also I wouldn't say that being pragmatic about how you go about incorporating large amounts of un-vetted refugees/migrants does not equal xenophobia.  I say this as an immigrant myself, albeit from a region with values consistent with Canada.

First world counties (westernized world) will all elect right wing politicians. There is a sense of safety (real or not) in electing right wingers.  This is the direction countries move just before war.  I see a global war soon.  the theaters of combat will be, I suspect, in those regions of historic actions. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

do you want to live anywhere that doesn't have it? 

I've lived in the past, where democracies are not a big thing. As long as the society is rich enough, secure enough and with enough entertainment options, it doesn't actually make a difference. 
Singapore springs to mind - totally not a democracy (its a Syria style 'sham democracy'). Or Korea in the 80s. Democracy is not as integral as its cracked up to be for people who have not tasted anything else. Its nice, but not fundamental to a happy society.

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

I didn't do that. 

29 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

I've lived in the past, where democracies are not a big thing. As long as the society is rich enough, secure enough and with enough entertainment options, it doesn't actually make a difference. 
Singapore springs to mind - totally not a democracy (its a Syria style 'sham democracy'). Or Korea in the 80s. Democracy is not as integral as its cracked up to be for people who have not tasted anything else. Its nice, but not fundamental to a happy society.

money makes all the difference I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

money makes all the difference I suppose. 

money and stability. 
The western experiment in Afghanistan is decisive of this paradigm. The first and foremost duty of a government towards its populace, is to provide security. Everything else, is secondary. 
When we toppled the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, it became a corruption zone free-for-all. Yes, they were much better towards minorities, women, men - everyone- but everything was more corrupt. Police were more corrupt and extorting civilians, etc. And that is why the Taliban started creeping back everywhere where NATO troops were not present - because while the Taliban were sick, twisted psychopaths, they did ensure a very harsh but much less corrupt system. Their local militia were not extorting the populace like Mafia. Result : people started supporting them.

Nobody gives a flying &^@# about voting, democracy and our right to self determination amidst a hail of bullets and police acting like Cosa Nostra. People will instead side with the government that tells us what to do with our beards, genitals, women etc. if it means no hail of bullets and police who actually...police!

Westerners live in this false ideology that democracy is the most important facet of a society. The world proves them wrong over and over and over again. 

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

money and stability. 
The western experiment in Afghanistan is decisive of this paradigm. The first and foremost duty of a government towards its populace, is to provide security. Everything else, is secondary. 
When we toppled the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, it became a corruption zone free-for-all. Yes, they were much better towards minorities, women, men - everyone- but everything was more corrupt. Police were more corrupt and extorting civilians, etc. And that is why the Taliban started creeping back everywhere where NATO troops were not present - because while the Taliban were sick, twisted psychopaths, they did ensure a very harsh but much less corrupt system. Their local militia were not extorting the populace like Mafia. Result : people started supporting them.

Nobody gives a flying &^@# about voting, democracy and our right to self determination amidst a hail of bullets and police acting like Cosa Nostra. People will instead side with the government that tells us what to do with our beards, genitals, women etc. if it means no hail of bullets and police who actually...police!

Westerners live in this false ideology that democracy is the most important facet of a society. The world proves them wrong over and over and over again. 

of course a basic level of personal safety is most important, but choosing gangs over the Talian isn't what we're talking about here. We're talking about the alt-right movement in established democracies, thats based on a lot of false bs and fear, racism and just plain selfishness. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

of course a basic level of personal safety is most important, but choosing gangs over the Talian isn't what we're talking about here. We're talking about the alt-right movement in established democracies, thats based on a lot of false bs and fear, racism and just plain selfishness. 

i was responding to the simple fact that me and most of us would happily live somewhere undemocratic. 

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I didn't do that. 

That's exactly what you do; and it's what you asserted about me when I suggested that maybe this country quits pumping so many billions of dollars into third world dumps and reinvests more of than money here for Canada and Canadians when the cost of living and getting by is as difficult as it has ever been. And that link you posted in the other thread never did answer my question either - I spent 10 or 15 minutes looking for an answer to my question. I don't think you know either; instead just parroting the same ol' federal talking points like a good little obedient..

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

That's exactly what you do; and it's what you asserted about me when I suggested that maybe this country quits pumping so many billions of dollars into third world dumps and reinvests more of than money here for Canada and Canadians when the cost of living and getting by is as difficult as it has ever been. And that link you posted in the other thread never did answer my question either - I spent 10 or 15 minutes looking for an answer to my question. I don't think you know either; instead just parroting the same ol' federal talking points like a good little obedient..

So since cost of living everywhere in the world is getting worse and worse, nobody should do charity, correct ?

19 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

yeah ok, trigger. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I didn't do that. 

The fact you used the word cancer to describe the influence of nativism on western democracy implies that if left unchecked it will eventually encompass the whole , no ? While I agree it is a negative influence I guess I'm a little less cynical. 

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

The fact you used the word cancer to describe the influence of nativism on western democracy implies that if left unchecked it will eventually encompass the whole , no ? While I agree it is a negative influence I guess I'm a little less cynical. 

sometimes you can live with it, I suppose. 

The current alt-right movement is pretty horrible, maybe you can suggest a different word. 

6 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Kinda crazy that I end up seeing this topic brought up on this website because it's something I actually care about. Perhaps not in the way you want me to care about it. I find it equally disgusting that you and many others just cast these people away as whale and dolphin killers that do it for fun and games. 

Do you understand what it's like to grow up on a rock out in the ocean? It's so windy and cold there that the only vegetation that's actually able to grow in your surroundings is grass. No trees. Barely any bushes. The ground can barely be used for agriculture so you can't exactly have a garden. The little you get from that garden is nowhere near what you would need to feed a family. These people have survived through generations by living off what little food they have available to them in their environment. Is it weird that because of their history they have actually somehow grown fond of eating half toxic whale flubber? Is it not okay for these guys out on this rock to also be able to enjoy their history through traditions? Just like we do? Just like I'm sure you do. Just because it's different from what you have been brought up to view as "acceptable" to eat, doesn't mean that it is the reality in another place in the world. It's exactly like that Xhaoiling festival in China where they eat dogs. I find that revolting. I still respect it though because there it is viewed as okay. Who is to say that either of you or me are right in this? Who's to say that eating dogs is not okay? 

I think it's absolutely disgusting with dolphin hunting in Japan or Shark fin hunting in the gulf of Mexico. It disgusts me. It truly, truly does. 

This is different. This is out of need. This is because there was nothing else to eat. This is because there are no freaking plants on the island. It really pisses me off that people like you push this agenda on the Faroese who are not illminded whatsoever in their actions. 

They eat a bunch of weird stuff in Vietnam that makes my stomach turn just thinking of it. They eat it because during tough times they had to. Those became appreciated. Those dishes became tradition. Those dishes are still served today. 

I am behind ya on most fronts, believe me, but don't come and point your fingers at the Faroe Islands when you can order a pizza to your house whenever you want. I suggest you watch Bizzarre Foods episode on Faroe Islands. 

I have friends from Iceland. They eat FERMENTED shark and like it. They eat it because in the old days when there was nothing else but rotten shark meat to eat, they ate it and started liking it. 

I understand your point of view and appreciate that the grindadráp does not involve the same type of asinine reasoning that the Japanese whale hunting excursions do. In my opinion, however, that does not excuse the Faroese for failing to "get with the times" if you will. 

Just as there were many historically culturally acceptable practices involving human sacrifice or animal cruelty throughout the world, with the impact of globalization and standardized international law and norms, what used to be culturally acceptable is not necessarily the same now. The Faroese have access to an ever-expanding network of importation. While the Faroese may have historically been reliant upon cetacean meat for sustenance, that simply isn't the case anymore. They have the ability to live without whale meat. They choose not to, instead continuing with their outdated and unnecessary tradition. If the tradition didn't involve the mass murder of important cetacean groups, including multiple endangered species, I wouldn't take issue with it. People and countries can have stupid traditions so long as they don't have an international impact. The grindadráp DOES have international consequences and therefore if its not necessary for the survival of the Faroese, then it should be abolished. 

This isn't simply a question about whether what they are doing is "gross" or not. We're on the same page with the Chinese dog-eating tradition as being gross. However that practice is not causing an international extinction of a vulnerable and protected animal group. That is why your anecdote isn't comparable to the grindadráp and why I view those two examples as two distinct events. Dog-eating is gross but acceptable (in my view). However, the grindadráp is contributing to the rapid endangerment and extinction of many integral cetacean groups. That is not acceptable to me and that is why I take the position I do.

Quite frankly, the Faroese are a microcosm of the Anthropocene.

Archived