The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

-SN-

His production in the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 seasons leaves room for hope that he can produce in the right situation.  He has definitely spent little time playing the last couple of seasons but he still seems to be a good contributor whenever he gets into the line-up.  Looking forward to seeing how he can gel with the Canucks.  I think it could take the rest of the season to surmise what future he may have here (even if he has a hot start).  Can't hurt to add a guy like him though.

• Upvote 1

Pay no attention to the stats, I repeat, pay no attention......

I believe Leivo played on the 4th line (limited) in TOR, and was not really put in a position to do much offensively. I suspect he may get a better opportunity in VAN, possibly even top line minutes with Bo. If they click, this could be a great signing.

Got a question: Has Leivo had to deal with some long term injuries previously? I noticed his games played each season isn't very many. For instance, in 2016/17, he played 5 games with the Marlies and then 13 games with the Leafs. In 2017/18 (last year) he only played in 16 games with the Leafs, that's it. Was he benched or injured?  

Got a feeling Leivo will score tonight, from Bo. Immediately CDC will announce this is now a playoff team lol

But seriously, if Leivo and Horvat can get some chemistry going, that might just be a great winger for Bo. Leivo probably wants to prove himself badly, never really getting a good chance in TOR. I know it's only Leivo, but I'm excited for tonight's game. Beagle back tonight should really help too.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

Im sure they are gonna push for a point outa him, it always puts a positive spin on newbies   

Well I hope he takes a regualr shift, but Green is a bit of a tightwad.

Edited by 6string

25.. he is the same age as Granlund IIRC? Running out of time to establish himself as an NHL regular.

Ferraro said he didn't have the speed the Leafs like to have in their forward group, so that was part of the reason why he was a healthy scratch so much.

When you are 26 you are basically a "young veteran".

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

25.. he is the same age as Granlund IIRC? Running out of time to establish himself as an NHL regular.

Ferraro said he didn't have the speed the Leafs like to have in their forward group, so that was part of the reason why he was a healthy scratch so much.

When you are 26 you are basically a "young veteran".

How did you go from this...

...to this?

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Josh Leivo looks like Ryan Kesler out there. 

Same kind of shot. Same jersey #.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

That was a solid game last night.

Noticeable on most shifts, good without the puck.  Pretty tenacious energy guy.

Small sample size, but he looking like he is an actual NHL player and not the Forward version of Corrado.  We will see where in the lineup he shakes out to, but looks like a guy that can be useful in the bottom 6 if he can’t find a hole with the scoring lines unlike a guy like a Goldobin who is all or nothing.

The Chris Higgins comparisons may be pretty apt.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1