StealthNuck

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW

30 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

Leivo is only on that line because he's the best option available to the Canucks. 

Let's not pretend that he's anything more than a place holder. 

Not to suggest he stays on the line, or doesn't

but

That is what was thought of Burrows with the Sedins as well initially

Sometimes it just works

• Hydration 1

If leivo continues like he has i dont think they will be separated. As long as he keeps up the skating and finding open ice he should be on that line. 

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
On February 10, 2019 at 3:53 PM, Alflives said:

Yes, Goldy could be a top notch winger, who puts up 60 plus points.  But I think Leivo is a different type of player.  For his style of play, he’s been a big addto our team.  

Leivo was a good trade by Benning.. Leivo has skill and grit, look at pass to Boser last night against NYR. 

Leivo 6'2, 25, 195 gritty and has skill 19-22 goal scorer., has good speed, good shot and gets in on fore check...need to keep Leivo..Need to sign this summer

3yrs x 2.4 million per season

Boser 6.7 -- 7.2 million x 6 years

Excited to see MacEwen 6'3, 215 full time next year on 3rd and 4th line

Players to move Pearson or Spooner same style..

Sutter 30 must trade this summer

Pouliot -- walk

Schaller trade - 6th rounder

Goldy trade for young D man similar age if you can't sign for decent contract....Show me more contract 2 yrs  x  1.6 million per season?

Erickson must go-- very average, we have younger players better- (example Motte way more speed)

Edited by wildcam

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Leivo was a good trade by Benning.. Leivo has skill and grit, look at pass to Boser last night against NYR. 

Leivo 6'2, 25, 195 gritty and has skill 19-22 goal scorer., has good speed, good shot and gets in on fore check...need to keep Leivo..Need to sign this summer

3yrs x 2.4 million per season

Boser 6.7 -- 7.2 million x 6 years

Excited to see MacEwen 6'3, 215 full time next year on 3rd and 4th line

Players to move Pearson or Spooner same style..

Sutter 30 must trade this summer

Pouliot -- walk

Schaller trade - 6th rounder

Goldy trade for young D man similar age if you can't sign for decent contract....Show me more contract 2 yrs  x  1.6 million per season?

Erickson must go-- very average, we have younger players better- (example Motte way more speed)

Leivo 25 years old

This season is his NHL season high at 16 points so far.

Pearson 26 years old

Had one season of 36 points and 2 in the 40s (44 and 40).

So far Pearson has had a career head and shoulders better than Leivos. They are close to the same age and both can be feisty.

My money is on Pearson over Leivo next year although I don't mind either of them.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:15 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

nylander.PNG

goldobin.PNG

Edit: Goldy has a higher ppg than willie. I guess willie is a poor mans Goldobin lol.  ::D

Not with that contract :bigblush:

15 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Leivo 25 years old

This season is his NHL season high at 16 points so far.

Pearson 26 years old

Had one season of 36 points and 2 in the 40s (44 and 40).

So far Pearson has had a career head and shoulders better than Leivos. They are close to the same age and both can be feisty.

My money is on Pearson over Leivo next year although I don't mind either of them.

You have to take in consideration Leivo never got good minutes to play in Toronto...

Leivo is more gritty and tougher in corners then Pearson.....Edge to Leivo a he can fight..

Leivo will be a 18-20 G ---40 points -- Need his gritty edge

Spooner and Pearson wil have to decide on one of these guys? Spooner 1 yr left on contract --- Pearson 2 yrs left on contract...

Pearson return will be better in a trade.....

• Hydration 1

I think Leivo is one of Bennings better acquisitions, classic moneyball scouting and taking advantage of another teams depth. 

His knock was speed, and he's already shown he is a fine skater, his puck skills and grit are very very good as well. 

On a contending or very good team he'd probably be a third liner but he can easily be productive in a top 6 role for us. 

Much rather keep him than Pearson 

I like Josh, I just don’t like him on a line with our skill guys like petey and boeser. 

On a competing team this guys a third liner not a top six guy. 

• Like 1

Leivo is pretty much same as pearson. I prefer Leivos skating ability over pearson though. Leivo and spooner is my preferance. If i may guess whats going to happen next year im guessing Goldobin and pearson will go. That being despite goldys improvement during the year, he will find it hard to be a top 6 player with everyone healthy and goldy is definetly nothing else then a top 6 creative player. 

I fully expect Benning to sign a top 6 winger to act as a place holder for 2-3 years because there is nobody in the system who is on their way to filling a top 6 role. 

I have no idea whether Baertschi will be back and I really like the way Goldobin has been responding lately.  He's going to stay and be the poster boy for those who respond to Greens way of developing difficult cases. 

Adding to the top 6 will push the likes of Leivo, Pearson, Spooner and Roussel into a middle 6 role where they belong.  And face it, Roussel will be on the team. 

It's going to be a dog fight on left wing at camp next year.

Eriksson, we can all fantasize about how JB moves him somehow.

XXXXXXX?

Goldobin

Leivo

Roussel

Pearson (spare)

That's a left side!

Shame on the leafs for burying this guy as long as they did, he's a real solid player who can play different roles on different lines.

• Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Shame on the leafs for burying this guy as long as they did, he's a real solid player who can play different roles on different lines.

I think the Leafs had a lot of guys like this.  I wonder if Leaf fans are crying like Canuck fans do because Dubas didn't get a pick in return for him.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The thing about Leivo is that we already have similar level players.  Really, Benning has loaded up on 3rd line guys that he is hoping become more for us.

I like Leivo, but I dont feel he is our top 6 answer.  Willing to give him a chance, of course, but feel that Petey and Boeser deserve a legit LW, and Horvat deserves higher end and consistent linemates. (Baertschi could be his LW maybe if he could remain healthy)

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

The thing about Leivo is that we already have similar level players.  Really, Benning has loaded up on 3rd line guys that he is hoping become more for us.

I like Leivo, but I dont feel he is our top 6 answer.  Willing to give him a chance, of course, but feel that Petey and Boeser deserve a legit LW, and Horvat deserves higher end and consistent linemates. (Baertschi could be his LW maybe if he could remain healthy)

I agree for the most part, but I think everybody realizes that not all of Spooner, Pearson and Leivo will work out. I do believe however that both Leivo and Pearson could be able to play up and down the lineup (2-4 line) on a really good team.

50 minutes ago, J-P said:

I agree for the most part, but I think everybody realizes that not all of Spooner, Pearson and Leivo will work out. I do believe however that both Leivo and Pearson could be able to play up and down the lineup (2-4 line) on a really good team.

Yup, depend on their line mates but they could easily be the 'complimentary' guys on a 2nd or 3rd line with more dominant line mates. 

Most teams don't have the luxury of six legit top 6 players in their top 6. There's usually something like +/- 4 bonafide top 6 guys and a couple complimentary guys (generally more grinders/muckers with just enough skill to hang).

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1