The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

-SN-

Leivo is one player that serves as an enigma to me personally. I will be very honest. I don't like him. I see that he brings value to the team but I hated seeing him in the Top 6 to start the year. Every time I would watch him I would see the puck die on his stick. There were so many times he'd make the wrong pass resulting in a turnover, shoot it at the net with no traffic ending sustained pressure etc. 

So I want to ask - maybe I have just been biased by a few bad games and look for holes everytime I watch him play - what do you guys think his role would be on the roster next year (if Toffoli is re-signed and even if he isn't) and at what kind of cap hit? I think he's a good 3RW for us, but that means we're playing either Guadette at C or playing Sutter on the 4th line. Players like Motte, Virtanen and maybe Roussel may be out if that's the case? 

1 hour ago, 87Crosby said:

Leivo is one player that serves as an enigma to me personally. I will be very honest. I don't like him. I see that he brings value to the team but I hated seeing him in the Top 6 to start the year. Every time I would watch him I would see the puck die on his stick. There were so many times he'd make the wrong pass resulting in a turnover, shoot it at the net with no traffic ending sustained pressure etc. 

So I want to ask - maybe I have just been biased by a few bad games and look for holes everytime I watch him play - what do you guys think his role would be on the roster next year (if Toffoli is re-signed and even if he isn't) and at what kind of cap hit? I think he's a good 3RW for us, but that means we're playing either Guadette at C or playing Sutter on the 4th line. Players like Motte, Virtanen and maybe Roussel may be out if that's the case? 

I don't think there is cap space for him next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Leivo is resigned.  He brought a calming effect on that third line, having great possession of the puck skills forcing much of the play in the ozone while being defensively responsible.  He can play up the lineup, but you see him most effective in the 3rd line spot on either wings.  Most importantly, he didn't take shifts off, played a strong game, and was dependable which is why Green used him a lot.

Seeing how this series played out, we missed the depth that he brings.  Hopefully he recovers fully from that broken knee cap fully, I think he is a far better option on the third iine than Jake Virtanen.

Leivo being out for so long probably gives us a valuable chip. If we can keep him for cheap, he might be a better value replacement for Virtanen as a middle six forward should we decide to move on from Virtanen.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Leivo being out for so long probably gives us a valuable chip. If we can keep him for cheap, he might be a better value replacement for Virtanen as a middle six forward should we decide to move on from Virtanen.

I tend to agree on your opinion but I think we need to wait and see how well Leivo recovers from his injury. If he does not lose any speed or mobility due to it; he, IMO, is a better fit cap wise and Virtanen has a better trade value. Certainly points to consider in a flat cap world.

26 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Sounds like Leivo was on track for a possible Final return, if the Canucks had advanced.  That's great news for Leivo.

I would like the Canucks to bring back Leivo if possible.  He's a UFA so maybe he wants to find another destination, but IMHO he's exactly the kind of depth that the team needs.

I don't know if Benning misspoke, but he said Leivo will be ready to play for them and contribute next year.  As a UFA, we don't know that is happening.  Maybe they have a good sense and he will be re-signed.  Apparently Weisbrod and Leivo spoke today.

Good cheap signing I think.  Leivo isn't a player that is in a position to risk not having a seat by testing free agency.  He is probably at about the same salary and a couple years of term would give him some stability to show he can come back from his injury.

• 2 weeks later...

https://bostonhockeynow.com/2020/09/23/per-agent-boston-bruins-ufa-kevan-miller-ready-to-go/

Kevan Miller for the Bruins suffered same injury as Leivo (broken knee cap) and basically missed a season and half with surgery and recovery.  Still is in the process of rehabbing it, makes you wonder where Leivo is at.  I know JB said he would be ready around this time, but with any sort of knee injury, gotta be careful.  

I wonder where he is with his recovery and rehabbing.  Hope he takes all the time he needs and doesn't push himself, because setbacks can be pretty brutal ala Kevan Miller's case.

Makes you wonder what a health Josh Leivo would've meant to our team going down the stretch and into the post season.  I think we really missed him.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 9/24/2020 at 2:34 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://bostonhockeynow.com/2020/09/23/per-agent-boston-bruins-ufa-kevan-miller-ready-to-go/

Kevan Miller for the Bruins suffered same injury as Leivo (broken knee cap) and basically missed a season and half with surgery and recovery.  Still is in the process of rehabbing it, makes you wonder where Leivo is at.  I know JB said he would be ready around this time, but with any sort of knee injury, gotta be careful.  

I wonder where he is with his recovery and rehabbing.  Hope he takes all the time he needs and doesn't push himself, because setbacks can be pretty brutal ala Kevan Miller's case.

Makes you wonder what a health Josh Leivo would've meant to our team going down the stretch and into the post season.  I think we really missed him.

The big difference is that Miller is 32 and had his injury happen at the end of a $10 million x 4 year contract. Leivo was likely looking to prove that he was worth something similar or more. He's 27 and has yet to have a stable role in the NHL. Much less sign a big contract. 

I'm curious to see where Leivo's skating will be when he's healthy.

Also if Leivo hadn't been injured I don't think the Canucks would have even traded for Toffoli. 

Edited by CallAfterLife
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

Also if Leivo hadn't been injured I don't think the Canucks would have even traded for Toffoli.

Not sure I would equate Leivo and Toffoli, I thought Toff was brought in as insurance because of the Boeser injury.  I suspect with the Leivo injury Eriksson and Virtanan got more ice time than they might have otherwise.  

38 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

I really hope Leivo does not return. We won’t will a cup with him. We need to improve that spot. 

1.5 for Leivo or 2.5 for Jake, you keep Jake 10/10 times for 3RW. Unless you can land a young RFA RHD for Jake. 

• Like 1

People are just forgetting how good Leivo was for us as a top 9 player. Plays the kind of game Green in looking for. Great along the boards and has a scoring touch. He can be a 3rd line guy who plays defense and pots 15-20 goals for you. Definitely the kind of player you have on a contending team. I disagree with @#Canucks

Benning knows this. He'll be back.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, skategal said:

Not sure I would equate Leivo and Toffoli, I thought Toff was brought in as insurance because of the Boeser injury.  I suspect with the Leivo injury Eriksson and Virtanan got more ice time than they might have otherwise.  

I'm not equating them 1 for 1. I think Toffoli was brought in to compensate for Leivo, Ferland and Boeser. Eriksson and Virtanen just didn't have the ability to step in and contribute on the scoresheet in top 6 roles. Hence Toffoli. 

The bigger question about acquiring Toffoli is why the Canucks didn't just give Baertschi, Goldobin or even Bailey more of a chance. It sucks to have lost Madden and 2nd round pick in such a deep draft year. 

1 hour ago, #Canucks said:

I really hope Leivo does not return. We won’t will a cup with him. We need to improve that spot. 

Leivo was having a good season and was on pace to hit 40+ points this year if not for his injury. And he was doing it for $1.5 million. He was effective and cheap. That's the exact combination teams need to win. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

The bigger question about acquiring Toffoli is why the Canucks didn't just give Baertschi, Goldobin or even Bailey more of a chance. It sucks to have lost Madden and 2nd round pick in such a deep draft year. 

My guess is that Toffoli had a better chance of providing goal scoring - heaven knows the Canucks had given Baertschi and Goldobin plenty of opportunity and I doubt they could have expected Bailey to step in and provide goals.  We needed to try and maintain a playoff position.  Madden from what I've heard and read was a tweener that we already had enough off in our system, 2nd round pick is a maybe as well and likely wouldn't impact our roster for 4-5 years if ever.  

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 8:54 AM, Robert Long said:

1.5 for Leivo or 2.5 for Jake, you keep Jake 10/10 times for 3RW. Unless you can land a young RFA RHD for Jake. 

Couldn't disagree more!

Virtanen: 36 points in 69 games = 0.52 PPG.

Leivo: 19 points in 36 games = 0.53 PPG.

Leivo with better defensive play, stronger on board battles, higher hockey IQ, and potential to be used on both power play and penalty kill.

No-brainer to bring back Leivo over Jake even at the same price, IMO. The only factor that complicates the decision a bit is Leivo's injury, but the org will have a better idea where his rehab is at. If his injury has healed well, it makes perfect sense to bring him back for 3RW, and use Jake as an asset to move a bad contract, or recoup a draft pick. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Couldn't disagree more!

Virtanen: 36 points in 69 games = 0.52 PPG.

Leivo: 19 points in 36 games = 0.53 PPG.

Leivo with better defensive play, stronger on board battles, higher hockey IQ, and potential to be used on both power play and penalty kill.

No-brainer to bring back Leivo over Jake even at the same price, IMO. The only factor that complicates the decision a bit is Leivo's injury, but the org will have a better idea where his rehab is at. If his injury has healed well, it makes perfect sense to bring him back for 3RW, and use Jake as an asset to move a bad contract, or recoup a draft pick. 

Leivo has never shown Jakes goal scoring ability tho, not even close. Jake has it in him to be a far better player imo, just depends on if that guy shows up or not.