The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

-SN-

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hadn't heard that but it looks pretty bang on. Not a guy you really want in your top 6 but can certainly fill in there.

Ya, as much as we would all like for him to turn into a legit 1st line player (it isn’t impossible) to spite Toronto and help us at the same time... he probably isn’t that.

He is an upgrade from what we traded him for.  He is certainly an upgrade from Schaller in that spot.  It is even possible that he finds some chemistry with the skilled guys and can be a complementary player in the top 6... though not as a guy who is driving the offence on it.  Of course it is also possible that after the initial adrenaline of actually getting to play real minutes consistently, he falls back to being a 4th line guy.

I will take the good news when I can and be glad we got him, hoping that a couple of goals in his first few games gives him confidence that has been robbed by getting Corrado’ed in TO where he didn’t get to play hockey at any level much for a couple years.

• Cheers 1

Certainly an upgrade on Leipsic, as well as Gagner !

Basically we gave up Carcone and Leipsic [through having to waive him] for Leivo.  To me that's a very good deal.  I think what we saw of Leivo is basically what you get.  Sure it was fortunate to get a goal in his first game and that's not going to happen every night, but the rest of it is.  I have watched him in Toronto [TV only] and this is what he brings most nights: energy, good release, works hard, goes to tough areas, finishes his checks and wants to compete.

+ 1 to Benning.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

Certainly an upgrade on Leipsic, as well as Gagner !

Basically we gave up Carcone and Leipsic [through having to waive him] for Leivo.  To me that's a very good deal.  I think what we saw of Leivo is basically what you get.  Sure it was fortunate to get a goal in his first game and that's not going to happen every night, but the rest of it is.  I have watched him in Toronto [TV only] and this is what he brings most nights: energy, good release, works hard, goes to tough areas, finishes his checks and wants to compete.

+ 1 to Benning.

I like his size. Leipsic got 3 points in one game so 1 goal is a nice start but nothing to get excited about. I didn't like Leipsic's defense from the get go so we can watch Leibo for a while to see how he does. For as long as he has been waiting for a crack at a regular role he should take nothing for granted. 

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I like his size. Leipsic got 3 points in one game so 1 goal is a nice start but nothing to get excited about. I didn't like Leipsic's defense from the get go so we can watch Leibo for a while to see how he does. For as long as he has been waiting for a crack at a regular role he should take nothing for granted. 

I am a fan of injecting some larger bodies into the lineup as well but only if the skill level is the same or better than the player they have replaced. I am hoping that Leivo turns out to be one of those players.

9 hours ago, Provost said:

That was a solid game last night.

Noticeable on most shifts, good without the puck.  Pretty tenacious energy guy.

Small sample size, but he looking like he is an actual NHL player and not the Forward version of Corrado.  We will see where in the lineup he shakes out to, but looks like a guy that can be useful in the bottom 6 if he can’t find a hole with the scoring lines unlike a guy like a Goldobin who is all or nothing.

The Chris Higgins comparisons may be pretty apt.

I would be over the moon if he could be like Higgy. In Higgy's best days with the Canucks he was a 2nd line forward, so it would be pretty exciting if Leivo could actually get to that level.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, aliboy said:

Leivo - Bo - Brock

Goldy - EP - LE

Motte - Beagle - Granlund

Roussel - AG - Jake

No thanks. LE is a dog. I gave him tons of leeway. Now I just want him fired into the sun on a russian rocket like others here have suggested. Keep him away from EP.

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Ya, as much as we would all like for him to turn into a legit 1st line player (it isn’t impossible) to spite Toronto and help us at the same time... he probably isn’t that.

He is an upgrade from what we traded him for.  He is certainly an upgrade from Schaller in that spot.  It is even possible that he finds some chemistry with the skilled guys and can be a complementary player in the top 6... though not as a guy who is driving the offence on it.  Of course it is also possible that after the initial adrenaline of actually getting to play real minutes consistently, he falls back to being a 4th line guy.

I will take the good news when I can and be glad we got him, hoping that a couple of goals in his first few games gives him confidence that has been robbed by getting Corrado’ed in TO where he didn’t get to play hockey at any level much for a couple years.

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic on Leivo.  Every player, when making such a change gets excited and plays with more energy than usual.  Wow, what a first impression though.  Let's just wait and see how he settles out long term.  I'm expecting him to be a 3rd line player.  Leivo's $925,000 salary is to his long term benefit.

I also expect Schaller to be a 4th line player.  At $1.9M, his days are numbered imo.

Some simple NHL stats

Leivo:  85 games 15-14-29  0.34 ppg  27 pim +5

Schaller:  202 games  21-25-46  0.24 ppg 69 pim -14

I'm calling Leivo an upgrade 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic on Leivo.  Every player, when making such a change gets excited and plays with more energy than usual.  Wow, what a first impression though.  Let's just wait and see how he settles out long term.  I'm expecting him to be a 3rd line player.  Leivo's $925,000 salary is to his long term benefit.

I also expect Schaller to be a 4th line player.  At $1.9M, his days are numbered imo.

Some simple NHL stats

Leivo:  85 games 15-14-29  0.34 ppg  27 pim +5

Schaller:  202 games  21-25-46  0.24 ppg 69 pim -14

I'm calling Leivo an upgrade 

Leivo may be the tonic that is needed for Pettersson and Boeser size and compete time will tell. Playing with Pettersson will definitely help his stats.

We seemed to deploy Levio on the LW as a right shot player. Im wondering now that Virtanen is getting a better all around game if we start to insert Virtanen on the LW his natural position in which he was drafted if memory serves me correct?

Good outing in his debut, hope it continues tonight and going forward, best of luck Josh!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

We seemed to deploy Levio on the LW as a right shot player. Im wondering now that Virtanen is getting a better all around game if we start to insert Virtanen on the LW his natural position in which he was drafted if memory serves me correct?

Good outing in his debut, hope it continues tonight and going forward, best of luck Josh!

Heard Green comment on why Jake isn’t playing left wing.  Green said Jake was still learning how to play right wing.  I think Jake will become a fabulous player, but (it seems) he still has a lot of development left.