Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

And what exactly did we give up to get Leivo?  Basically a bag of pucks, or a sack of rocks.  I guess TO was going to lose him to waivers, so got (at least) an AHL guy for him?

Well to be fair Alf, I really liked Carcone. He has a motor on him. If you want a comparable, think Brendan Gallagher in Montreal. Very similar type of player. But Carcone's problem is that he is too selfish and doesn't use his teammates nearly enough. In the AHL it works for him and he's putting up points, but I have major questions as to whether he could do it at the NHL level. At the end of the day he could pan out he's got pro game written all over him. But we wanted a guy with size as we already have enough smaller skilled guys in our prospect pool so he became redundant. Plus gotta love that Benning traded him while his trade value is at a high and got an NHL player out of him. The Marlies play the Comets enough to know what they have in Carcone but even if he pans out I don't think it hurts us in the long run. All the best Carcone! Leave er to Leivo is now in the house!

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Quantum said:

If there was a bigger deal, I'm sure that would have been executed on the day of the Leivo trade with Leivo/Carcone being pieces that were moved alongside others.

It does show that Benning is working the phones. Word is that he's very active on the phones. Trades are tough. This deal fell into the Canucks lap because 1) It was either trade him or waive him from TO's perspective and 2) The Canucks clearly wanted Leivo and were willing to make a move as opposed to seeing if he'd get to them on waivers (which he wouldn't because of LA who claimed Leipsic and Scherbak and probably would've claimed Leivo too).

I still think this is a good sign the Canucks and Leafs COULD make a deal near the TDL. We do have defensive pieces that the Leafs may covet (Gudbranson, Edler) so a deal isn''t an impossible thing to think about. Also, as a side note, I don't believe the Canucks will trade Tanev because they want him to play with Hughes next season and see if there's something there.

I think the original deal was Leafs wanted Leipsic to have cleared waivers for the Canucks, so they could have put him in minors when Nylander was signed, but LA claimed him and that Carcone was the 2nd option the Leafs had incase he was claimed

Maybe playing with Skilled forwards Leivo he will be like a Clarke Gillis player for us (Although he was a 4th overall pick)

Elton John updated version

Leivo, Leivo likes his money
He makes a lot they say
Spends his days counting
In a garage by the motorway

And he shall be Leivo
And he shall be a good man
And he shall be Leivo
In tradition with the family plan
And he shall be Leivo
And he shall be a good man
He shall be Leivo 

G

•  

i have watched this young man the past few games closely and he is a legit NHler - Benning thanks for the early Xmas gift.   

• Upvote 1

I love Leivo playing on the third line. Scored a goal and looked nice with Eriksson.

• Upvote 1

Leivo was great tonight. He fore checked hard directly behind the Buffalo goalie a few times and on one occasion he got the puck and set up a great goal. Loved his game tonight. Hopefully he does that more often.

• Upvote 1

If he plays the same game he did against Buffalo the Canucks might have a breakout player on their hands. Really solid game from Leivo. 

Time to offer this guy the Re-up,  well before the TDL.

He has fit in seamlessly with this team, hard worker, skilled,  strong nosed, smart..  

C8CD505E-2102-4537-8342-10E178AFCAC5.png

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Time to offer this guy the Re-up,  well before the TDL.

He has fit in seamlessly with this team, hard worker, skilled,  strong nosed, smart..  

He has good skills with the puck and can beat guys one on one consistently.  The problems with his game are that he holds the puck too long himself and has a tendency to get tunnel vision.  He often struggles to identify his team mates when they are open.  He has potential to be quite effective if he can start finding his line mates and stops trying to do everything on his own.  As it is, he looks impressive but generally ineffective.  There are a lot of guys getting ready to take his place if he can't make this adjustment.

Every once in awhile he is a great player.

I don’t know where he disappears to some nights, other nights I can’t believe Toronto gave him up.

59 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Every once in awhile he is a great player.

I don’t know where he disappears to some nights, other nights I can’t believe Toronto gave him up.

It's why he was available.

Just another inconsistent player.

6 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

It's why he was available.

Just another inconsistent player.

Leivo is a very effective player, especially considering his cap hit.  I'm surprised, as a Leaf's fan, you would not recognize that many of your compatriots wanted to keep Leivo and dump Nylander.  

As a true Canuck's fan, I am super happy we have Leivo.  He's great for us! 

• Upvote 1

I'm genuinely shocked this guy was a throw away compared to some of the forward projects we've paid a decent amount for (Goldobin, Leipsic, Vey, etc). I think his performance puts an end to Goldobin's place on the team. He's been better at everything except playmaking.