The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Expansion Draft - Who do the Canucks protect?

Rate this topic

lukchin

21 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

As of today?

• Bo Horvat
  • Brock Boeser
  • Elias Pettersson
  • Micheal Ferland
  • J.T. Miller
  • Adam Gaudette
  • Goldy or Virtanen

DEFENCE

• Tyler Myers nmc
  • Olli Juolevi
  • Troy Stecher

Goalie

• Thatcher Demko  (Dipietro exempt)

Some will need new contracts above to be protected and maybe some could be traded for picks before roster freeze?

Exposed (or not resinged) could be

Baer, Beagel, Roussel, Eriksson (?), Virtanen/Goldy. Sutter, Leivo, Pearson, Motte, Tree

I am surprised with all the success that Vegas has had , that they are exempt, (at least not modified some)

Interesting that 2017  Canucks protection was

Eriksson 

Hank and Daniel Sedin

Sven

Granlund

Bo

Sutter

Edler

Guddy

Tanev

Markstrom

Did I get this right?

• No pre-draft trades
  • All no-movement clauses are honored (Myers,Ferland)
  • Players who will become restricted free agents in 2020 or 2021 remain with current teams (Jake, Goldy, Motte,Stecher,Mackewen) ?
  • Players who will become unrestricted free agents in 2020 or 2021 either remain with current teams or are left off lists entirely (Tanev,Markstrom)?
  • Players whose NMCs had limited no trade clauses had to still be protected, and any players with NMCs were able to waive the clause and become eligible for the expansion draft.(Ericksson, Sutter,Roussel,Beagle)?

Petey, Bo, Brock, TJ, MF, Pearson, Gaudette..

Myers,.Tryamkin, Hughes..

Demko

A lot can change between now and then. Here goes....

7 FWDs

Horvat, Pete, Ferland(NMC), Boeser, Miller, (+2 of Virtanen, Goldobin, Gaudette)

Exposed: Roussel, Beagle, Loui + 1 of the aforementioned. 

3D

Myers (NMC)

Juolevi

One of Stetcher/Tryamkin

Exposed: One of Stetcher/Tryamkin... No one else currently under contract......

The goalie situation is where this ends really one of Marksrom or Demko you can pretty well bet are gone. At this point you ask yourself how highly you value Virtanen, Gaudette, Goldobin, Tryamkin, Stetcher? VS Demko/Markstrom. You can trade one of the goalies however the return won't be handsome as whoever you trade them to will have to protect them say you get a 2nd round pick. Now you have lost a goalie and say Stetcher and returned a 2nd. Or you make no trade and you loose a goalie and return nothing. 

Honestly I'd rather give up a goalie for nothing in return Than Stetcher and a goalie for 2nd round pick.  So I think we just accept our fate and not worry about it. At the very least we will have to book on Seattle's starter.  

A lot of who we protect depends on how the forwards play in the next couple of seasons. We've got a lot of decent top-6 forwards, one of which are likely going to be nabbed. At the moment I'd go with the following:

Forwards - Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, JT Miller, Ferland, Baertschi (The latter 3 will have to battle it out amongst Goldy, Pearson, Gaudette etc.)

Defencemen - Myers, Stecher, Juolevi

Goalie - Demko 

We'll probably lose a forward or Markstrom, deep teams like the Canucks will get hit by the brunt of the Expansion Draft whereas top heavy teams like the Leafs will be laughing.

2 hours ago, JayCanuck10 said:

Do we need to protect Tryamkin? If so, why? Should he return to Canucks possibly next March, he would've played only two full NHL seasons.

Quinn Hughes is exempt from expansion despite playing a handful of games, so why not Tree?

According to capfriendly, no.

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

At the moment I'd go with:

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Miller, Ferland, Gaudette, Goldobin/Virtanen/Baertschi

Myers, Juolevi, Stecher

Demko

• Cheers 2

What sucks is that for the Canucks, the ED will be at the most inconvenient time, in a hockey franchise's cycle.  Just when we are finally building DEPTH.  Other teams may be just at the edge of a rebuild. Its perfect for them, they probably have a lot of overpriced washed up veterans they want to dump.  We will just be peaking with hopefully, a large cupboard of depth players. The best of which may be scooped away, right as we are planning on a longer playoff run.  #canuckluck

7 minutes ago, kilgore said:

What sucks is that for the Canucks, the ED will be at the most inconvenient time, in a hockey franchise's cycle.  Just when we are finally building DEPTH.  Other teams may be just at the edge of a rebuild. Its perfect for them, they probably have a lot of overpriced washed up veterans they want to dump.  We will just be peaking with hopefully, a large cupboard of depth players. The best of which may be scooped away, right as we are planning on a longer playoff run.  #canuckluck

Hughes, Woo, Dipietro, Tryamkin, Podkolzin are exempt so it could be worse. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/14/2019 at 5:32 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

I am surprised with all the success that Vegas has had , that they are exempt, (at least not modified some)

The way I understand it, they also don't get any of the expansion money.

If you look back at the previous rounds of expansion, it was the same way.  The most recent expansion teams didn't lose any players in the following round of expansion.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Yeah, but we came out of the Vegas expansion draft completely unscathed. 

We might lose a more valuable piece this go around, but we had "luck" on our side the first time.

• Upvote 1

Well the entry draft is coming in a bit and we have some decisions to make especially around goaltending.  Some see the position as a rotating spot and others think you need a stable starting star.  

For me I am very confident in our Markstrom/Demko duo and think they could be a great duo for another 5-6 years giving us stability throughout our competing years.  I like Dipietro but not sure he is part of the future equation.

With that said the question is easy.  If Seattle allows us to protect both of them by giving them Stecher, do you do it?

I’m a big Stecher fan but I make that deal to protect both goalies.

If the Canucks has to lose someone, think, cap hits.  Seattle has to fit 83 million for 30 players.  I believe Vegas is exempted from ED so that would work out to $2.7 million per player on average so if Seattle opts to get top heavy contracts from some of the teams' best 3rd liner or a top 4, chances that they wouldn't touch our high priced players.   I believe that they cannot get above the cap from the ED so it will not matter because some of the 2.7 million dollars are easily replaceable through free agents.   If we have some depth, we could always protect and negotiate a trade for them not to touch one of our own after 11 protected players if necessary.  (7f, 3d, and 1g).   We probably lose one of the prospect with 3 years of pro hockey experience or our 3rd liner.   I still feel that we still don't have enough depth from prospects pool to actually push for a roster spots yet for Seattle to be interested in and they probably would take one of the vets and he can be easily replaced anyways through free agent.   If we ever make the playoff in next two years, it will be because of EP with good supporting cast, nothing else.