The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks loan Sam Gagner to Toronto Marlies

-Vintage Canuck-

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Canucks loan Sam Gagner to Toronto Marlies

I stated a couple of games ago that it was bizarre that Gagner went from the Marlies to being a big minute player on the Canucks again. He did well in his brief time back. This is just as bizarre. Players know who is contributing and who isn’t. 

I guess it doesn’t matter who is playing well and who isn’t to Green.  I’m sure the players know as well.  

26 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Hmm would be nice to see Toronto Maple Leafs do the Canucks a favor, and take him off the payroll.

They did in the Leivo trade (where we clearly got the best player).  Can't help but think that this was part of the payback.

What a mess in Utica though.  Take away one of their better wingers (no loss obviously to the Canucks as we get a NHLer in Leivo while losing a guy that likely be a career AHLer) and when a center is available (a position where they are in desperate need of moreso than Carcone [a winger]), we loan him to their division rival.

Not quite sure what is going on with management and the strange decisions lately. Utica needs help but it doesn't seem like Canucks brass care.

Oh well, this season never really mattered. Here's to another high draft pick!

1 minute ago, DJSkingz said:

Not quite sure what is going on with management and the strange decisions lately. Utica needs help but it doesn't seem like Canucks brass care.

Someone in Utica now has an opportunity to step up, its hardly the end of the world. And sending Gager to TO is a favour to him so he can be close to family. 

1 minute ago, DJSkingz said:

It's part of the agreement they made with Toronto.  They agreed that in case of a demotion he would always be returned to the Marlies.  

Maybe they're really trying to get TOR to take the bait. Seeing how well he did  in his short stint back with the Canucks, how good he's played with the Marlies. They might just want to make a trade for him and keep him there (AHL) as depth for the Leafs. I do find it strange that they're sending him back to the Marlies, seeing as he did play pretty well when he got back. Maybe something's brewing.   

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It a real gong show there though.  Only thing that prevents the Comets from looking like the KC Scouts is Demko and Juolevi.

well.... maybe it'll build character? Its a tough choice for Benning imo to send Gagner down, so making it a soft landing for a veteran has benefits I guess. It would have been nice if Leipsic cleared, I'm really surprised that he didn't. 

Gagner appeared in seven games for the Canucks since being recalled on November 18th, he registered one goal and two assists in that time. If Gagner had appeared in three more games with the Canucks, he would’ve recovered waivers to head back to the AHL, furthermore, assuming that he was assigned after 2 pm (given the time of the tweet), Gagner had been on the Canucks roster for 17 days and thus had 13 more days available before requiring waivers by the day count.

There is some benefit to sending him down now, to avoid waiver exemption expiring, as an acquiring team would be able to directly send him to their AHL team before recalling him. With that being said, that would require a deal to be made and it’s hard to envision that happening now with the cap hit still remaining.

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/12/04/canucks-loan-sam-gagner-to-toronto-marlies/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

23 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I stated a couple of games ago that it was bizarre that Gagner went from the Marlies to being a big minute player on the Canucks again. He did well in his brief time back. This is just as bizarre. Players know who is contributing and who isn’t. 

I guess it doesn’t matter who is playing well and who isn’t to Green.  I’m sure the players know as well.  

Since when are roster decisions made by the head coach? 

Coaches get who they are given, the general manager (i.e. Benning) makes all roster decisions. Coaches can control ice time or even who on the roster suits up for what game but ultimately player movements (trades, waiving, loaning, buyout, call-up, assigning) all rest with the GM.  

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well.... maybe it'll build character? Its a tough choice for Benning imo to send Gagner down, so making it a soft landing for a veteran has benefits I guess. It would have been nice if Leipsic cleared, I'm really surprised that he didn't. 

Guys like Demko I think will thrive under most any environment  (well maybe except if Poo-lay was playing in front of him for 25+ minutes a game :P).  I wonder though on our other "lesser prospects" whether having a collection of 'flotsam & jetsam' around them is conducive to developing?  A guy like Gagner I think would help Dahlen's progression.

I would have kept gagner to let him build on his solid play to maaaybbee create a trade market for him. 

Sending him down again just undo’s everything he did up here in terms of value 

gaudette will go down as soon as bear or sutter come back but I would have sent him back before gagner

gaudette isn’t ready and needs more time 

Archived