The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks loan Sam Gagner to Toronto Marlies

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Since when are roster decisions made by the head coach? 

Coaches get who they are given, the general manager (i.e. Benning) makes all roster decisions. Coaches can control ice time or even who on the roster suits up for what game but ultimately player movements (trades, waiving, loaning, buyout, call-up, assigning) all rest with the GM.  

I’m pretty sure these decisions are made with feedback from the coaching staff. 

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Guys like Demko I think will thrive under most any environment  (well maybe except if Poo-lay was playing in front of him for 25+ minutes a game :P).  I wonder though on our other "lesser prospects" whether having a collection of 'flotsam & jetsam' around them is conducive to developing?  A guy like Gagner I think would help Dahlen's progression.

Yeah he probably could, but I think the family aspect topped the decision making for Jim. Its a decent thing to do, not great for Utica but I can understand it. 

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

I’m pretty sure these decisions are made with feedback from the coaching staff. 

Most of the time I would agree, but I am sure this had more to do with waiver eligibility than Green saying: "I want this bum off my team!" Green could have just benched Gagne if he had any real problem with him being on the roster. This is all about the business end of the hockey and not about who Green feels gives his team the best chance to win on any given night. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

He didn't look terrible. Oh well. On the brightside he's a good depth option to have still. 

He certainly didn't hurt his stock. IMO he proved he still belongs in the NHL. Hopefully a team feels the need to add him at some point down the road.

53 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I stated a couple of games ago that it was bizarre that Gagner went from the Marlies to being a big minute player on the Canucks again. He did well in his brief time back. This is just as bizarre. Players know who is contributing and who isn’t. 

I guess it doesn’t matter who is playing well and who isn’t to Green.  I’m sure the players know as well.  

you do realize who gets sent down and called up is not the coach's decision but Benning's, right?

25 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Most of the time I would agree, but I am sure this had more to do with waiver eligibility than Green saying: "I want this bum off my team!" Green could have just benched Gagne if he had any real problem with him being on the roster. This is all about the business end of the hockey and not about who Green feels gives his team the best chance to win on any given night. 

And isn’t that sad....

5 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Gagner was the easy move to make. Doesn't require waivers since being recalled and played 7 games and makes room on the roster for Beagle's return tonight. Just smart asset management from Benning

The next two moves will probably be Biega and Gaudette when Baertschi and Sutter return.... barring no further major injuries to players on the team.

Gagner > Schaller imo

edit: on second thought, Schaller has the more valuable skillset I guess, in terms of defensive areas of the game. Still though, I thought Gagner showed very well.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

So Gaudette is here to stay until we have Beagle and Sutter back.

At least Gagner didn't need to clear waivers again.

And this is why we sent him back down now.  Asset management.  Don't be surprised if he is gets traded to the leafs at some point.

9 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Gagner > Schaller imo

edit: on second thought, Schaller has the more valuable skillset I guess, in terms of defensive areas of the game. Still though, I thought Gagner showed very well.

I'd rather have Granlund take up that 4C spot.  Schaller is just there.

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

And this is why we sent him back down now.  Asset management.  Don't be surprised if he is gets traded to the leafs at some point.

Bingo.

I could see the Canucks doing a bigger trade with Toronto closer to the deadline involving us taking Ron Hainsey or the Nathan Horton contract (since Toronto may want to free up that contract spot) and some prospects/picks (I'd love to pry Justin Holl from the Leafs) for Gagner and someone else.

But yeah, I don't expect to see Gagner back anytime soon.

Shocked this is the move they made to bring beagle in, but I'm actually happy about it. I like seeing the new/young guys in the lineup. Gagner isn't part of our long term plan. I also think he looked better than he was by playing with Bo most of the time.

Archived