The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Baby It's Cold Outside" pulled from radio

Dazzle

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/academic-extremism-comes-to-canada/article33185073/

This is from two years ago and it's only gotten worse:

These are people who believe our very way of life, freedom of speech, sovereignty of the individual etc are corrupt and are bent on dismantling them. And they're teaching tens of thousands of kids who are getting sent out in to the world to spread it through schools, businesses, governments etc. 

On the grounds that we've seen the murderous consequences in the tens of millions of lives in the 20th century!

You can't separate the ideology driven,  extremist political 'philosophies' from the murderous results of said philosophies.

Freedom of speech protects their rights as individuals to say and think these things. That doesn't mean we need to validate or consider them as rational philosophies in functioning society.

How is this even a debate?!

I am not even sure what we are arguing about anymore. I thought you were suggesting that we restrict their speech. To which I was going to say I just don't see either Nazism or Marxism at the forefront of our politics at least enough to take an action as drastic as to curtail it with legislation akin to what Germany did. 

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

And just perhaps you are focusing in on a tiny little thing that just happens to be the grain of sand in your own personal shoe?

Certainly possible but there sure seems to be a lot of creeping Marxism and an awful lot of intelligent people just as or more worried about it than I am.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You're not paying close enough attention then.

Its just personal experience. No one takes campus commies seriously.

Now, if Canada were in an economic situation where that was becoming truly attractive, then maybe I'd be concerned but we're not Cuba or Venezuela. The economic circumstances tend to come first, then the communism, not the other way around. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/cbc-baby-its-cold-reinstate-1.4941087

CBC reinstates Baby, It's Cold Outside amid audience input

Citing audience input, CBC has reversed its decision to remove the holiday track Baby, It's Cold Outside from seasonal playlists.

"Last week, we decided to press pause to consider the different points of view on playing Baby, It's Cold Outside. Because we value our audience input, which was overwhelmingly to include the song, we have put it back on the two playlists where it had been removed," Chuck Thompson, CBC's head of public affairs, said in a statement Tuesday.

"Appreciating not everyone interprets lyrics the same way, listeners may wish to skip the song as we understand not everyone will agree with this decision."

In the last few years, the winter-season duet penned in 1944 has come under increased scrutiny for what some consider to be inappropriate lyrics. 

In late November, a Cleveland radio station announced it had stopped playingBaby, It's Cold Outside in response to listeners who took issue with the the call-and-response tune, in which one singer attempts to cajole the other to stick around and not leave.

Last week, CBC and two other broadcasters noted the song had been removed from their musical rotations this year, sparking multiple headlines, opinion pieces and vigorous debate on social media. 

Bell Media, which runs a pair of 24-hour Christmas stations, said it hadn't included Baby, It's Cold Outside on its playlist this year and didn't plan to reintroduce it in the future, according to a spokesperson.

Rogers, which operates several all-Christmas music stations, said last week it had removed the song without noting a reason for the decision.

I am boycotting CBC radio stations

Oh wait............I never listened in the first place.

So let me understand this... people are now arguing about the threat of Marxism and Communism, and clearly confusing what they actually are and represent, because a song was banned from a playlist and then unbanned? Meanwhile, we have a US president who self identifies as a Nationalist, but we should be more concerned about this previously stated threat?  

Weird. 

Song is back on the air...

Apparently some guy in prison  ( i think he said his name was ..... Bill Crosby  or something like that........    ) phoned in and requested the song about 1000 times.......... so CBC gave in and put it back on radio......

30 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Song is back on the air...

Apparently some guy in prison  ( i think he said his name was ..... Bill Crosby  or something like that........    ) phoned in and requested the song about 1000 times.......... so CBC gave in and put it back on radio......

Its the 'Whats in this drink?' line that resonates with him the most.  ;)

It's back!

"Even though the song is back, CBC's head of public affairs, Chuck Thompson, noted that they still appreciate that "not everyone interprets lyrics the same way, listeners may wish to skip the song as we understand not everyone will agree with this decision." "

Now don't ban that one!

On 12/11/2018 at 11:51 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Its just personal experience. No one takes campus commies seriously.

Now, if Canada were in an economic situation where that was becoming truly attractive, then maybe I'd be concerned but we're not Cuba or Venezuela. The economic circumstances tend to come first, then the communism, not the other way around. 

:)

Archived