The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Baby It's Cold Outside" pulled from radio

Dazzle

11 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I think I'm dreaming of a white Christmas is offensive. What if kids misinterpret it for a white Christmas like the type Trump wants? What if they don't get that it's about snow? What if they think it's about snow but where snow is code for cocaine? PULL IT NOW 

then you explain it to them . jebus the world has gone stupid

14 hours ago, riffraff said:

Have they altered Dire Straits money for nothing for radio yet?

Actually heard this yesterday and was thinking the same thing, thankfully it wasn't altered.  And though not as controversial(yet lol:o) the song after was Robert Palmer's addicted to love "You're mine, and not your own." 

A long time ago The trio called "Peter, Paul and Mary had a huge kids song become a hit " Puff The Magic Dragon".

Some folk thought it was a song full of drug references, the band thought it was funny at first but this rumour got so large they had to fight back.

So they pointed out the drug references in this song as an example of you can find offense anywhere.

Song is called "The Star Spangled Banner"

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

A long time ago The trio called "Peter, Paul and Mary had a huge kids song become a hit " Puff The Magic Dragon".

Some folk thought it was a song full of drug references, the band thought it was funny at first but this rumour got so large they had to fight back.

So they pointed out the drug references in this song as an example of you can find offense anywhere.

Song is called "The Star Spangled Banner"

Very cute song.  I remember it well.

What about the hullabaloo over Elton John's lyrics, "Lucy in the sky with diamonds"  equaling LSD?  

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very cute song.  I remember it well.

What about the hullabaloo over Elton John's lyrics, "Lucy in the sky with diamonds"  equaling LSD?  

Firstly, that wasn't Elton's tune, it was the Beatles.

John Lennon wrote it after one of his kids (Julian, or Sean. Can't remember which) came home from school with a drawing of his friend Lucy flying and surrounded by stars. The picture was titled Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds. Lennon thought it made a good title. The rest of the lyrics come from Alice in Wonderland.

If you're looking for a song with drug references, Purple Haze, or White Rabbit are two good examples.

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Firstly, that wasn't Elton's tune, it was the Beatles.

John Lennon wrote it after one of his kids (Julian, or Sean. Can't remember which) came home from school with a drawing of his friend Lucy flying and surrounded by stars. The picture was titled Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds. Lennon thought it made a good title. The rest of the lyrics come from Alice in Wonderland.

If you're looking for a song with drug references, Purple Haze, or White Rabbit are two good examples.

I was referencing a song that people (at the time) believed had drug connotation, but that really didn't.  Mixed up the singers though.  :picard:

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You beat me to the Lucy in the Sky story. 

There were other, more blatant drug songs in the 60's:

One toke over the line, Sweet Jesus, One toke over the line,

Sittin downtown in a railway station, One toke over the line.

and

There ain't nothing' it can't fix,

Old dogs can learn new tricks,

when the streets are lined with bricks

of Acapulco Gold.

and

Rooooooooolllllllllllllll another one,

just like the other one

You've been hangin' on to it,

And I sure would like a hit.

Don't Bogart that joint my friend,

Pass it over to me

Don't Bogart that joint my friend,

Pass it over to me

and,

Panama Red (New Riders of the Purple Sage)

Archived