The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 04, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I used to defend louie. His play lately is unacceptable. 

Same here. I defended him for bringing stability. But lately, it's like he plays like he doesn't care. 

I think our problems run deeper than just Eriksson though.

Our defencemen were very active early in the season. We played as 5 men unit and played very well. That's nowhere to be seen now.

Our defence depth is poor, couple that with average goaltending, losing is not surprising.  The problem is that the games are boring whereas, they were fun earlier on. 

I think part of the reason is due to Travis realizing that when you don't have good defending and goaltending, you can take chances and you will score goals but you are going to end up giving up more than you score. As most teams can play the high scoring game with us and yet most teams have better defending and goaltending than us, we are going to lose more than we win.

But it's not like playing a low scoring style is getting us any wins anyways. With the current style, one mistake from the defence or a forward, or one weak goal and we may lose the game 3-2 or 2-1. Therefore, I would like to see us go back to playing more high paced game, I think that gives us better chance of winning than the current style and alleviates some pressure on defence and goaltenders. And when we do go back to such style, littlethingers like Eriksson and Granlund can be very useful as these are cerebral players that know where they should be as the play develops. For example, as a defenceman jumps into the rush or makes a pinch. In other words, they complement other players well.

We had a pretty decent 1-2 punch with Horvat and EP but with Horvat having to handle much of the defensive duties, we were left with just EP. No matter how great EP is, opposition's job has been much easier now that Horvat is overworked. From opposition's stand point, even if EP gets a goal per game, they can outscore us and win games 2-3 or 2-4 quite easily. With Beagle back, hopefully we can go back to getting Horvat involved in offence as much as possible.

I think Boeser and EP are great together but just to get Horvat involved in offence, perhaps it's time to get Boeser and Horvat together. With Horvat and Boeser drawing the attention of opposing defenders, EP may score with higher frequency.

4 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Winnipeg leapfrogged us and Edmonton. Toronto and Buffalo are the ONLY teams so far who finished bottom three that won lottery picks. Every other lottery pick went to someone who finished outside of the bottom three. In other words, it takes a lot of luck, which you love to ignore for some reason.

Hate-facts?

Let's see, last night.......3-2 loss.....3 goals against ALL ON THE PK.......hmmm.......

How about lets re-jig the PK?  A little practice time would help to do this.  Eliminate the passes from side to side through the slot like Minny has.  

All teams know by now that shooting % pretty much doubles if the shot comes after a pass from one side of the ice to the other.  This gets the goalie moving and if the goalie isn't set, it's much easier to score.  This is what teams are trying to do AND TRYING TO DEFEND AGAINST.  Get with the program coaches.

Glody will more then likely get back in. This will allow them to  give Bo some different wingers.  Maybe Leivo.  I still want to see Zack MacEwen get a chance.

Next year;

Zack           Bo           Jake

Boeser      Petey       Dahlen

Rousel       Dack       Leivo

Gaudette   Beagle     Motte

OJ           Hughes

Stecher   Tanev

Guddy      Hutton

Gone ;    Edler ,  Sutter ,   Baer , Goldy.                                                   Trade Goldy at a high point.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Let's not turn a blind eye to ALL EP's giveaways or is he out of bounds? If we keep giving the puck away we are pressuring our own D.

EP is top of the roster for giveaways Bo is second. These guys are NOT defenders but these giveaways are hurting us. It's not fare always blaming the D when 4 of our top five worst players for giveaways are our young forwards. (EP, Bo, Goldy and Brock) The fifth is Tanev, who's game has got back this season.

On a brighter note I was very impressed with Gaudette. It would be a travesty if he were sent down. Leivo too had an impressive debut and Nilsson was once more nearer to a first choice goalie than Markstrom - surprisingly.

The Sedins were tops in give aways too.  Let's face it, if you're holding the puck and driving play, you have a higher chance of giving the puck away.  

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Whine, friggin, whine, friggin, whine, friggin whine...…………………….#$%%$##@#@! ME!

I'm so sorry some of us have some level of expectations. Others actually pay good $$$ to watch this garbage.

Oh gee Canucks were in it, except for the THREE powerplay goals...what a small insignificant detail :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you don't like my opinion you can piss off.

As soon as we start to lose people jump off the bandwagon. There is so much that is positive to look at. Wins are nice but not what is the most important right now. We have some real solid young players developing before our eyes. All of our best players are young!

The defense is our biggest weakness. No team goes very far without a top level defense.

Archived