The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 04, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering that Green has squeaked out every last drop of this team to get a goals and have the team commit to battling in all three zones...and yet defense is constantly the problem + special teams.  Pretty sure he won't be given the shaft compared to the men in charge of those departments...Nolan Baumgartner and Newell Brown.  The team has bought into Green's system...but its Baumer and Brown's job to help execute that plan in those departments and have failed miserably the past season and its showing again this year.

right

and you think nolan has sufficient talent to work with ?

what is he supposed to do?

really? this d group sucks

it sucked last season

and the year before

but we keep them all together

and keep putting them out there

but yeah . it's on nolan

you realize green's system is different then willie's?

it is higher risk

and exposes the d more

and they are exposed

but still the same low quality players

so maybe green needs to change the system

or tell jb to get him some more talent to run it

and the pp did better last season

once vanek had input

maybe we gotta await his retirement

to get a qualified coach for the pp

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not good. Nepotism never ends well. That's a major problem with a coach choosing his staff. 

Yuuup agree I knew something wasn't going to go well. It was said too during the hiring that Travis Green was mentoring Nolan as a coach that was a key red flag but the Canucks still dated him. 

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

#40 was caught many times tonight not moving his feet.   I don't think that line is gonna stick.   need the high energy guy that wins the puck battles in the corners with those 2, to bad Motte didn't have soft hands

Yeh that's true! Boeser is not skating well. I am thinking this is going to be a lot tougher to win without any support for EP. Brock needs to just get some games under his belt, But will his confidence be done by then?

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

How was our goalie tonight?

Appears as if he got screwed again?

Lots of penalties and no run support, again.

Nilsson played good. Our PP couldn't get much going, and the chances we generated happened to be foiled more often than not.  

Back to back stupid pointless penalties by Edler and DZ were the turning point of the game.

....the last minute of the game, they were playing with some urgency....this is how every second of the PP needs to play...the PP needs to out work the PK

Play with urgency, out man the PK around the puck in order to retrieve it, then set up the shot with quick passing and movement...and crash the net. All this requires all the players to be moving.

Just now, cory40 said:

Who cares about the penalty! How about the response? Where is the team toughness?

Seriously, this team is still acting like that?

Going to be awhile before I can stomach watching it still, I guess. 

Let me know when this franchise isn’t Cucknucks hockey anymore. 

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I think Goldy's gonna be better off for this. He's done a lot of work, we had a hard practice yesterday, he had some work today, some individual work in areas we want him to get better at. You're going to see Goldy back, he's gonna be fine. I'm not worried about him." - Green on Goldobin

Greener seems to have the ability to give a player a kick in the arse without killing their confidence.  It's a valuable skill.

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"It's a penalty. I don't think the guy is deliberately going in there to... Could it have been a major? I dunno, it's a tough call for the refs." - Green on hit on Virtanen

Green needs to show a backbone. This is embarrassing. 

Just now, cory40 said:

Yeh that's true! Boeser is not skating well. I am thinking this is going to be a lot tougher to win without any support for EP. Brock needs to just get some games under his belt, But will his confidence be done by then?

He's being checked tightly because people know who he is, that's just something he going to have to figure out. He had a few opportunities this eve, too bad none worked out. 

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Seriously, this team is still acting like that?

Going to be awhile before I can stomach watching it still, I guess. 

Let me know when this franchise isn’t Cucknucks hockey anymore. 

They started to react. But stopped as soon as the ref told them too, Meanwhile Jake is laying on all fours!

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

He's being checked tightly because people know who he is, that's just something he going to have to figure out. He had a few opportunities this eve, too bad none worked out. 

Yeh the growing pains...LOL

Maybe I'm being to hard on our defence, but this is how I personally rate them with how they are playing currently.

Top pairing guys:

We have none.

Second pairing guys:

Edler & Tanev - both are solid second pairing guys in this stage of their careers, but they aren't as cool of cats as they used to be.

Third pairing guys:

Stecher - he works his butt off, but there isn't much for offence with him, and he is okay defensively. I always hoped he could be a Ryan Ellis type. I think he is a solid third pairing guy.

Del Zotto - he works hard as well, but makes the most bonehead plays, I see him as a 6-7 defenseman on a good team

Biega - belongs in the AHL that is all

Gudbranson - I honestly think he would have been a camp invite, he doesn't really do anything good.

Hutton - he is probably the most frustrating to watch, he has games where he is a legit 2nd pairing guy, then he goes on spells where you want to dig his grave. It sucks since he is a solid skater, and can think the game.

Pouliot - he doesn't belong in the NHL, decent offensive guy, but can't skate, and can't think the game quick enough.

By the time Juolevi and Hughes are ready, unless they have some signings or trades, this defensive is still going to be god awful. Unless they give Edler, Tanev, and Hutton some Russian gas.

Archived