Sign in to follow this  
ken kaniff

[Proposal] Van-Chi (Gagner - Kruger)

Vancouver: C Sam Gagner

Chicago: C Marcus Kruger

Why does Chicago do this?

-Chicago is rumoured to be interested in Gagner.

-Gagner is better than Kruger (Stats  wise)

Vancouver

-We unload Gagners contract. 

-Kruger is a UFA after this season.

-Frees up a spot next season

Might need something to sweeten the pot for getting rid of Gagners contract but I think this is pretty even. Thoughts?

The problem is I foresee them asking for retention and I don't see any reason to consider it as it limits our flexibility in making trades this summer and the next deadline. We are then only limited to one retention slot. Otherwise the Hawks will ask us for picks to balance out them taking on the extra year of Gagner's contract and I think we can agree we aren't in a position to deal draft picks. A buyout would cost us roughly a million for the next couple of years which is not too bad as that money will be freed up in time for Pettersson's extension. I think they will make an effort to deal him in the summer otherwise it will likely be a buyout.

12 minutes ago, Toews said:

The problem is I foresee them asking for retention and I don't see any reason to consider it as it limits our flexibility in making trades this summer and the next deadline. We are then only limited to one retention slot. Otherwise the Hawks will ask us for picks to balance out them taking on the extra year of Gagner's contract and I think we can agree we aren't in a position to deal draft picks. A buyout would cost us roughly a million for the next couple of years which is not too bad as that money will be freed up in time for Pettersson's extension. I think they will make an effort to deal him in the summer otherwise it will likely be a buyout.

If the Hawks want us to retain and we don't want to, then we simply don't trade them Gagner. They're the ones that want him, so it's up to them to make it work. Gagner is not a detriment to our team right now as we have plenty of cap space. The fact that Gagner might be able to improve their team as they see fit, then that alone should be worth it for them to take on the extra year of Gagner if we are taking the supposed lesser player here.

The other alternative is we also take on one of their lesser AHL players as well as they are at 49/50 contracts right now, so it could free up more flexibility for them to maybe sign a college free agent of whoever that would be cheap.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

taking Kruger is as good as salary retention, at least for this year. 

If one of Chicago's 4th round picks is involved retaining 500k on Gagner would be fine to make it work. 

Benning did say on 650 yesterday that he is looking for some kind of fit somewhere for Gagner. There's no real value in us buying him out, we can save $1 mil by putting him in Utica/Toronto. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 hours ago, Toews said:

The problem is that we are not named Carolina, so there is no way Chicago does this trade. 

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

The problem is that we are not named Carolina, so there is no way Chicago does this trade. 

I don’t understand what carolina has to do with this?