The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Airlines should charge idiots more

brownky

If people come on an aircraft with ‘carry on’ luggage that they clearly have not put in the “will it fit” bin thus delaying boarding because it doesn’t fit in the overhead compartments... they should be charged triple the checked baggage fee for the flight for being dicks. 

Any guesses what I’m doing?

32 minutes ago, brownky said:

If people come on an aircraft with ‘carry on’ luggage that they clearly have not put in the “will it fit” bin thus delaying boarding because it doesn’t fit in the overhead compartments... they should be charged triple the checked baggage fee for the flight for being dicks. 

Getting on the train?

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I am 38 39 years old, never flew (in) a plane.

sit in a chair pushed up against a wall so you have about 1 inch of space and wait until you're dehydrated, that'll approximate it. You haven't missed much. 

1 hour ago, brownky said:

you've got more than 30 grams?:ph34r:

I hate that. We make efforts to ensure our luggage is under 50 lbs., and any carry-on bag is small enough that it could fit under the seat if needed. There's really limited space in those overhead bins, but some people couldn't care less. They should just charge for carry on bags then, by the weight. A dollar per pound up to 10 lbs. Anything over 10 lbs is triple the cost. Got a book bag with a book and some snacks that weighs 5 pounds? That'll be $5 please. Got a small suitcase you're trying to carry-on that weighs 25 lbs? That'll be $75. They might just want to check that bag in.   

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I hate that. We make efforts to ensure our luggage is under 50 lbs., and any carry-on bag is small enough that it could fit under the seat if needed. There's really limited space in those overhead bins, but some people couldn't care less. They should just charge for carry on bags then, by the weight. A dollar per pound up to 10 lbs. Anything over 10 lbs is triple the cost. Got a book bag with a book and some snacks that weighs 5 pounds? That'll be $5 please. Got a small suitcase you're trying to carry-on that weighs 25 lbs? That'll be $75. They might just want to check that bag in.   

Okay I get that but then why should I pay the same for a ticket as a guy that weighs 350lbs and is using half of my seat.  Actually I like that, stop charging for seats and just charge for total weight of person and luggage.

usually you are right people are trying to avoid paying for checked bags or trying to not have to wait for checked bags.

Flying sucks and airlines are some of the most dishonest industries out there.  The lack of transparency in pricing is ridiculous.  Buy our supersaver fair and hey tack on taxes and fees, seat booking fee because you know that ticket doesn't buy you a seat and fees for checked and carry on baggage, it is a maddening web of misleading pricing.

11 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Okay I get that but then why should I pay the same for a ticket as a guy that weighs 350lbs and is using half of my seat.  Actually I like that, stop charging for seats and just charge for total weight of person and luggage.

usually you are right people are trying to avoid paying for checked bags or trying to not have to wait for checked bags.

Flying sucks and airlines are some of the most dishonest industries out there.  The lack of transparency in pricing is ridiculous.  Buy our supersaver fair and hey tack on taxes and fees, seat booking fee because you know that ticket doesn't buy you a seat and fees for checked and carry on baggage, it is a maddening web of misleading pricing.

It's not my fault i'm fat; god made me this way. 

13 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I used to fly 2-3 times per month for about a four year period - domestically.

the idiot factor is by far the majority.

its like “dude or lady!!!, this is a 90 minute flight can you not go without that $&!# for 90 minutes!?!?!”

I remember the days when there was a non smoking section on planes.  It was insane, but people smoked (a lot of people smoked) on planes.  

3 hours ago, brownky said:

I fly around lots and have been flying around lots for 30+ years. most of the time, people with oversized hand-luggage (myself included), make sure we are in the first half of the boarding line, since we want to stuff our bags above before 90% of the space is taken up by people ahead of us.

The ones who have oversized luggage and are holding up the plane- they are doing it because they are the last ones aboard...which means they are doing it wrong

19 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

I fly around lots and have been flying around lots for 30+ years. most of the time, people with oversized hand-luggage (myself included), make sure we are in the first half of the boarding line, since we want to stuff our bags above before 90% of the space is taken up by people ahead of us.

The ones who have oversized luggage and are holding up the plane- they are doing it because they are the last ones aboard...which means they are doing it wrong

I’m a seasoned traveler both international and domestic, so while you’re correct about the space consumption issue, the issue I had today was the carry on was too physically large (and hard shell, lol) to fit inside the overhead bin door. Or the bin. 

It was basically a small suitcase, not a large carryon. 

So she was among the first on, as per “its my bin space” rules, and trying to play ‘itll fit I swear’ which might have worked for certain parts of her anatomy At one point in her life, but hard luggage vs hard bin, everybody behind loses. 

Then it has to get taken off and checked anyway. Anything to save that fee. Which is why I say it should cost triple if they do that.

7 minutes ago, brownky said:

I’m a seasoned traveler both international and domestic, so while you’re correct about the space consumption issue, the issue I had today was the carry on was too physically large (and hard shell, lol) to fit inside the overhead bin door. Or the bin. 

It was basically a small suitcase, not a large carryon. 

So she was among the first on, as per “its my bin space” rules, and trying to play ‘itll fit I swear’ which might have worked for certain parts of her anatomy At one point in her life, but hard luggage vs hard bin, everybody behind loses. 

Then it has to get taken off and checked anyway. Anything to save that fee. Which is why I say it should cost triple if they do that.

Well its stupid to take hard-cover carry-on anything that is large. Last time i went backpacking, my 'backpack' was an oversized thing weighing 22 pounds that i didn't want to check in. I deliberately took a soft-cover backpack, because it squishes. And i am strong enough to squish a pillow in a jar, so squishing my bag in there was not an issue. General stupidity, i suppose. 

Archived