The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

2 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Lol I am the first to acknowledge that Presidents and PMs have little actual power. But Trump saw an opportunity to make himself look like a hero to the Chinese government. If people can't recognize that then I feel for them...

Stop listening to Joe Rogan on politics.  Presidents have a crazy amount of power.  The legislature has been ceding portions of it's own to the executive branch for decades.

The president, or federal government for that matter, was never meant to have the power that it does now, but then the Civil War happened and the states were neutered by necessity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Stop listening to Joe Rogan on politics.  Presidents have a crazy amount of power.  The legislature has been ceding portions of it's own to the executive branch for decades.

The president, or federal government for that matter, was never meant to have the power that it does now, but then the Civil War happened and the states were neutered by necessity.

I accept your country has no Monarchy, but (maybe?) your President can potentially rule (too much) like a monarch, even if only for 8 years max?  

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/what-china-hopes-to-get-by-detaining-canadians/ar-BBQUQ44?li=AAggNb9

When China issued threats and then detained a former Canadian diplomat Monday night, followed by a second Canadian on Wednesday, it seemed like a pretty clear case of tit for tat—Canada arrested one of ours, Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou; we will take a few of theirs, and that’s how this will get resolved. Except it wasn’t.

China knows how the Canadian judiciary works. Yes, the observers are correct when they say the detention of the Canadians was retaliation for the arrest of a top Huawei executive in Vancouver on Dec. 1. But it was not a pressure tactic.

China does not expect the Canadian government to perform any political intervention into an independent judiciary. It is not expecting some perverted swap of detainees. Even as China threatened “serious consequences” if the telecommunications giant Huawei’s Meng is not released following her arrest for possible extradition to the U.S., it understands full well how the rule of law works in Canada.

The detention of Michael Kovrig, an ex diplomat who now works for the International Crisis Group, and Michael Spavor, a Canadian best known for becoming an emissary to North Korea, is theatre for a domestic audience—and such theatre is important in China.

Hmmm.....why does that sound familiar....:unsure:

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I accept your country has no Monarchy, but (maybe?) your President can potentially rule (too much) like a monarch, even if only for 8 years max?  

That's yet another reason why a 2 party system isn't a good idea in a republic.  When you have one of those parties controlling all 3 branches, the guy at the top has more power than he was ever meant to have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Do people honestly believe that Trump's finger prints aren't all over this?!?! This is how he does business. Trudeau just got a lesson....

Donald Trump is too dumb and stupid to orchestrate anything of this magnitude.    This is a case dating back 10 years ago started by the Justice Department during the Obama administration.

• Upvote 2

On 12/11/2018 at 8:07 AM, debluvscanucks said:

What a joke this is.

Canada is one of the most tolerant, accepting and respecting of many nations.   It's what gets us used by those wanting to flee, hide, pass through, exploit, etc.

You shift from Canada to the US..hmm.

The US isn't threatening us, China is.  On the ridiculous claim that we're violating human rights.  Because we're helping to go after  suspected criminals who are hiding behind this country's (too) lax policies.  Just passing through. 

It's a common theme here at the moment.  And it's high time to address it.  Whether or not we're "threatened" in the process. 

Well I don’t agree with this statement.  Canada has been accepting immigrants in part because we needed to build the country up and get our economy to a standard to be relevant in the world, whereas the US probably doesn’t need to do so much of this. 

The problem is racism will forever be an issue in Canada. We all know the aboriginals are here first and he way they are being treated throughout history speaks for itself. 

The way your statement is made it appears as if you are “willing” to accept diversities as opposed to acknowledging that Canada is a diversed country to begin with. 

15 hours ago, DonLever said:

Donald Trump is too dumb and stupid to orchestrate anything of this magnitude.    This is a case dating back 10 years ago started by the Justice Department during the Obama administration.

No, I don't think Donald Trump had anything to do with this, I don't think he has the chess skills want to pull this off during a trade negotiations. I do believe that the DOJ is run or influenced by Democrats and it was them who decided to pull the trigger to throw a wrench into things. Now think that Trump is rolling with it and trying to turn this into a barganing chip. 

It's the conspiracy theorist in me.

Edited by smokes

12 hours ago, smokes said:

No, I don't think Donald Trump had anything to do with this, I don't think he has the chess skills want to pull this off during a trade negotiations. I do believe that the DOJ is run or influenced by Democrats and it was them who decided to pull the trigger to throw a wrench into things. Now think that Trump is rolling with it and trying to turn this into a barganing chip. 

It's the conspiracy theorist in me.

I'm curious to know how you arrive at that conclusion. :unsure:

AFAIK, the DOJ is run by Trump appointed Republicans. Matthew Whittaker; Rod Rosenstein, Jesse Panucchio, Noel Francisco....

....all Republicans, from what I can see.

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm curious to know how you arrive at that conclusion. :unsure:

AFAIK, the DOJ is run by Trump appointed Republicans. Matthew Whittaker; Rod Rosenstein, Jesse Panucchio, Noel Francisco....

....all Republicans, from what I can see.

In the beginning it was Bill and the helicopter ride that suddenly stalled Hillary's email problems. Then it was the reports of wire taps and surveillance on Trump during the elections, to the recusal of sessions on a Mueller probe. Then when almost everyone who left a job from that department attacking Trump on the way out the door. While the DOJ is under the republicans. It just feels like they are not with the republicans.

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Time to start arresting a few more Chinese investors  living in Canada.....

If China wants to play that game... bring it on. 

No don't bring it on. There are a lot of innocent Canadians in China.

59 minutes ago, smokes said:

In the beginning it was Bill and the helicopter ride that suddenly stalled Hillary's email problems. Then it was the reports of wire taps and surveillance on Trump during the elections, to the recusal of sessions on a Mueller probe. Then when almost everyone who left a job from that department attacking Trump on the way out the door. While the DOJ is under the republicans. It just feels like they are not with the republicans.

...or just maybe....they aren't all partisan hacks and are actually doing their jobs....

Sydney Morning Herald is calling this "Operation Hang up on Huawei". 

- https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/how-the-five-eyes-cooked-up-the-campaign-to-kill-huawei-20181213-p50m24.html 

February 24 - Malcolm Turnbull lobbied US spy agencies to ban Huawei and ZTE from Australian 5G network
  • August 19 - Turnbull rings US President Donald Trump and tells him of the Huawei, ZTE ban
  • August 23 - Australia announces Huawei, ZTE ban
  • August 24 - Turnbull dumped as Prime Minister
  • October 29 - Mike Burgess explains decision to ban “high risk vendors” from 5G, cites risks to critical infrastructure
  • November 21 - White House slams China for increasingly frequent cyber attacks
  • November 27 - New Zealand bans Huawei citing “significant network security risk”
  • December 1 - Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou arrested in Vancouver
  • December 7 - British Telecom says it will strip Huawei equipment out of its 3G and 4G networks and will not use in 5G