The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why would that matter? 

Heard somewhere she had a stopover in Hawaii before coming to YVR.  Can't confirm this but if it did  would be interesting as to why she was not detained there.

6 minutes ago, prix57 said:

Heard somewhere she had a stopover in Hawaii before coming to YVR.  Can't confirm this but if it did  would be interesting as to why she was not detained there.

ah OK. Yeah, that really would have been preferable, to say the least. 

Whatever happens from here tho we can't bend to China's bs. If we allow ourselves to be bullied we'll never see the end of it. 

Its interesting why some "Canadians" are advocating her release yet China right after she was detained decides to detain ~13 Canadians and they have nothing to say about that right?

I wonder if these detained Canadians have China's equivalent of Charter of Rights and Freedoms...

Maybe they should try launching a civil case against China?

Edited by prix57
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, prix57 said:

Under house arrest in Vancouver, Huawei CFO lives in luxury and spends her days out shopping

Meng's 'unusual' bail terms allow her the freedom to go shopping and to restaurants as long as she wears a GPS monitor and sticks to her 11 p.m. curfew

https://business.financialpost.com/technology/prisoner-in-vancouver-huawei-cfo-awaits-her-fate-in-splendor

How horrible for her to go through... i can only imagine the mental torture it must be have to live like that

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

How horrible for her to go through... i can only imagine the mental torture it must be have to live like that

Notice when they show on the news the video clip of her leaving jail she is cowering towards her lawyer / bodyguard looking all scared and helpless.

She sure has it much worse compared to the Canadians China has detained...

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'll have you know I'd never chase an ambulance. I'd pay an intern to do that.

But yes the charter does apply to anyone physically present in Canada, including non-citizens.

Your right my mistake the clients come to you

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, prix57 said:

Fake News.

She arrived in Vancouver on Cathay Flight no. 838 which is a scheduled nonstop direct flight between Hong Kong and Vancouver.

You realized that flights between North America are non-stop now because new planes are capable of long distance flight.   Unlike those that flew in the 60's and 70s that needed to stop in Japan or Alaska for refuelling.

Looks like China is upping the ante:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/china-accuses-detained-canadians-of-stealing-state-secrets/ar-BBUl1QE

BEIJING - China accused two detained Canadians on Monday of acting together to steal state secrets, just days after Canada announced it will proceed with a U.S. extradition request for a senior Chinese tech executive.

China arrested the two Canadians on Dec. 10 in what was widely seen as an attempt to pressure Canada to release Meng Wanzhou, the chief financial officer of Chinese tech giant Huawei Technologies, who was arrested in Vancouver on Dec. 1 at the request of U.S. authorities.

Meng's arrest set off a diplomatic furor and has severely strained Canadian relations with China.

The U.S. is seeking the extradiction of Meng, who is also the daughter of Huawei's founder, to face charges she misled banks about the company's business with Iran.

China's official Xinhua News Agency cited unidentified Chinese authorities as saying former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig violated Chinese laws by acting as a spy and stealing state secrets and intelligence with the help of Canadian businessman Michael Spavor. It was the first time the two men's cases have been linked.

It said Kovrig often entered China using an ordinary passport and business visas, and acquired information from Spavor, his "main contact."

This probably goes without saying, but if you're a Canadian, you'd be wise to stay out of China.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Looks like China is upping the ante:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/china-accuses-detained-canadians-of-stealing-state-secrets/ar-BBUl1QE

This probably goes without saying, but if you're a Canadian, you'd be wise to stay out of China.

it also shows how punitive they are. No one thinks these two guys are linked in any way. China is showing the world what they willing to do if they see you as a small power. 

It really unfortunate that Harper signed the trade investment deal with China outside of a full trade agreement. With a full trade agreement we would have more reason to matter to Xi, and they'd be less willing to disrupt their investments here. But with the agreement Harper signed, they can act this way with no fear of economic consequences. 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Plenty of Chinese Canadians on social media lambasting Canada and defending the authoritarian Chinese government. It certainly doesn't make you wonder where their loyalties lie.

We should go Chinese govt style on them and lock them up as dissidents and torture them. Seems only fair. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

Canada should react by dropping them as a HNIC sponsor!

That'll learn em

I originally typed this with a facetious intent.

Upon further reflection this might seriously hurt them. Admittedly I don't watch a lot of tv but HNIC broadcasts are the only time I see them marketed.

Maybe this idea would hurt them. Surely HNIC could get a new sponsor to fill the void. 

36 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I originally typed this with a facetious intent.

Upon further reflection this might seriously hurt them. Admittedly I don't watch a lot of tv but HNIC broadcasts are the only time I see them marketed.

Maybe this idea would hurt them. Surely HNIC could get a new sponsor to fill the void. 

As it's on our own broadcasting network they should definitely be dropped as a sponsor. It is one of the best marketing sport for our country. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

If the case gets thrown out due to Charter Rights violations,  its a win-win situation for everyone.   The Canadian government will be off the hook.   We will tell the US we did the best we could - it was not our fault the Custom guys messed it up.  Meanwhile China gets Meng back.

• Upvote 1