The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

Nothing shady going on at all. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/the-strange-tale-of-the-paid-protesters-supporting-meng-wanzhou-at-her-extradition-hearing-1.5434613

Two people who demonstrated in support of Meng Wanzhou outside B.C. Supreme Court during her extradition hearing say they were unwittingly recruited under false pretences and paid to be there.

Meng, the CFO of Chinese tech giant Huawei, was arrested at Vancouver International Airport in December 2018 at the request of the U.S., which seeks to extradite her to face charges of fraud. A number of people showed up on the first day of her hearing Monday and held signs supporting her.

For actor Julia Hackstaff, of Vancouver, it all started with a promise of $100 for two hours of work in what she understood to be an appearance as an extra in a movie shoot. Hackstaff said the offer came over Facebook from a person in the acting community she has never met.

News this morning said depending on how this trial goes that it could be a case up to 10 years for some reason (can't remember), what a bloody waste of tax payers dollars if thats the case.  Cut her loose and let her fly back to China, how much as been wasted on her already for no benefit to Canada.

24 minutes ago, Russ said:

News this morning said depending on how this trial goes that it could be a case up to 10 years for some reason (can't remember), what a bloody waste of tax payers dollars if thats the case.  Cut her loose and let her fly back to China, how much as been wasted on her already for no benefit to Canada.

Canada

718dXgc3ZhL._AC_SX466_.jpg

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

"Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt."   Justin's daddy....

In summer of 1969.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I'm a card carrying Conservative, but I'm tempted to vote Liberals next election just to give Davies the boot. 

.??

2 hours ago, Russ said:

I hate you Trudeau more than anyone. But I agree on this, no exchange could take place no nothing we have rule of law in Canada she broke a law I'm not going to give her up even though I want those two men brought back home we have a rule of law in Canada and if you want to change that because your heart is bleeding you will drastically make Canada look weak

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canada

718dXgc3ZhL._AC_SX466_.jpg

15 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Hell, I'll do it for $100. 2 hours for $100??

I'll protest  against Tom Hanks for that kind of money.

Edited by falcon45ca
  • Cheers 3

We've been through this all before folks.....We have an extradition treaty with the US. We can't just "send her back to China", as much as we'd all love to see this mess go away and our two wrongfully imprisoned citizens return home.

From the persepctive of the Canadian government, what's at stake here is whether Canada becomes a haven for people trying to avoid consequences for their crimes in other countries.

To Ryan's earlier point about seeming "weak", it basically does this, and it opens us up to increased incidences in the future.

Trudeau is doing the right thing by staying out of it.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Unfortunately our guys will continue to rot in China. Furthermore, I could see that being the case AND she goes free. 

these poor guys are toast. They'll only be released if they end up getting a chronic health problem that China doesn't want to pay for. 

4 hours ago, DonLever said:

Looks like Ms. Weng will be spending more time here in Vancouver as her request for dismissal of her case was denied by a judge.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/meng-loses-key-decision-in-extradition-case/ar-BB14GdBc?ocid=spartandhp

I'm happy to see Canada have the spine to let the system do its job. We simply can't let China dictate how we run our legal processes. 

I had hopes a couple of years ago that we'd be able to have a better relationship with China, but they continue to have an international Napoleon complex approach to things and over react at every opportunity. 

I'm starting to think that China cutting us off might be what we finally need to invest in our own manufacturing and diversifying our international marketing efforts. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm happy to see Canada have the spine to let the system do its job. We simply can't let China dictate how we run our legal processes. 

I had hopes a couple of years ago that we'd be able to have a better relationship with China, but they continue to have an international Napoleon complex approach to things and over react at every opportunity. 

I'm starting to think that China cutting us off might be what we finally need to invest in our own manufacturing and diversifying our international marketing efforts. 

IMO a country of close to 40 million should have a economic plan that could identify national imperatives and be willing to defend them. As you suggest having the ability to manufacture critical goods is essential. Whether it is China or the USA, Canada has to be able to defend our interests. The push to China was an effort to diversify trade from the dominant customer, the USA. As I have said many times this is a national security issue. 

• Cheers 4

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMO a country of close to 40 million should have a economic plan that could identify national imperatives and be willing to defend them. As you suggest having the ability to manufacture critical goods is essential. Whether it is China or the USA, Canada has to be able to defend our interests. The push to China was an effort to diversify trade from the dominant customer, the USA. As I have said many times this is a national security issue. 

A few years ago China was seeming to be more open, making investments around the globe, and not picking fights everywhere it could. Not so now.

Despite what a lot of people think, Canada does have a small, but very diversified, and highly skilled manufacturing base to work from. That plus our massive natural resource  wealth should have us in a good portion to actually become much more self sufficient and also be a solid trading partner for the EU and Japan. 

I don't think Trudeau is the guy to lead that effort, particularly if Morneau is still around.  I do think Freeland could. Ambrose could have as well. I don't see MacKay having the vision to pull it off. But we'll see, hopefully this becomes an election issue. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

A few years ago China was seeming to be more open, making investments around the globe, and not picking fights everywhere it could. Not so now.

Despite what a lot of people think, Canada does have a small, but very diversified, and highly skilled manufacturing base to work from. That plus our massive natural resource  wealth should have us in a good portion to actually become much more self sufficient and also be a solid trading partner for the EU and Japan. 

I don't think Trudeau is the guy to lead that effort, particularly if Morneau is still around.  I do think Freeland could. Ambrose could have as well. I don't see MacKay having the vision to pull it off. But we'll see, hopefully this becomes an election issue. 

Totally agree. I add India to your list. 

I have written the CPC off. Harper was doing a job with the EU deal, TPI and free trade deals with Korea I believe. The idea that Canada could have successive elections where the critical talking point were Trudeau’s looks or whether conservatives were Nazis or not is mind boggling. Topics of national significance never make the podium. It is to our long term detriment as these are national security issues.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1