The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

1 hour ago, Violator said:

CFO of Chinese tech giant Huawei arrested in Vancouver, sought by U.S. for extradition

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4934269

Jyst of it is huwaei was doing business with iran which the US doesnt like.

They'll probably go to war with Iran if Trump gets a second term. They've already sowed some seeds for that..

The Pentagon banned all of the Huawei products in the US because they apparently have piggyback chips that snoop, phish, and listen to your other apps, spy, steal your personal info, and send it back to China over the internet.  Considering how the Chinese government treats western intellectual property, is any one really surprised at this?  I am going out on a limb here, but the behavior of Huawei is probably only the very tip of the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Chinese spy tech in our homes.  And I am kind of disgusted that the Canadian government has allowed these devices with such open arms.  China is not a nice place.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

The Pentagon banned all of the Huawei products in the US because they apparently have piggyback chips that snoop, phish, and listen to your other apps, spy, steal your personal info, and send it back to China over the internet.  Considering how the Chinese government treats western intellectual property, is any one really surprised at this?  I am going out on a limb here, but the behavior of Huawei is probably on the the very tip of the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Chinese spy tech in our homes.  And I am kind of disgusted that the Canadian government has allowed these devices with such open arms.  China is not a nice place.

Hockey Night in Canada has or had them as a sponsor lol. If that is true perhaps my next phone will have to change lol. I'm eye'ing a google pixel anyways. I am done with iphones after they killed my iphone 4 with a forced update. Then I went to Samsung which was okay but I got a far better deal in the Huawei P10+ when I went to upgrade. So I opted for the cheaper phone with the bigger screen and better camera.

Edited by Rush17

Just now, Rush17 said:

Hockey Night in Canada has or had them as a sponsor lol. If that is true perhaps my next phone will have to change lol. I'm eye'ing a google pixel anyways. I am done with iphones after they killed my iphone 4 with a forced update. Then I went to Samsung which was okay but I got a far better deal in the Huawei P10+ and it had a fantastic camera. So I opted for the cheaper phone with the bigger screen and better camera.

Yeah I know.  I hear they are really nice phones.  But I do not doubt either for a minute what the Pentagon says about them either.

The evidence is classified.  Was all over the news in like January 2018.

The CFO was arrested for part of bank fraud investigation regarding skirting Iran trade sanctions.

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Apparently Huwaei evolved by spying on Canadian tech/phone company Nortel. The downfall of Nortel was at least partially caused by Huwaei spying and stealing intellectual property from Nortel. 

Wow I hadn't heard that before... big if true.

17 minutes ago, xereau said:

The Pentagon banned all of the Huawei products in the US because they apparently have piggyback chips that snoop, phish, and listen to your other apps, spy, steal your personal info, and send it back to China over the internet.  Considering how the Chinese government treats western intellectual property, is any one really surprised at this?  I am going out on a limb here, but the behavior of Huawei is probably only the very tip of the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Chinese spy tech in our homes.  And I am kind of disgusted that the Canadian government has allowed these devices with such open arms.  China is not a nice place.

Or this...

This is unbelievable... but then again it all makes sense

I was actually considering one of their phones...

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I don't know the law on this one. Is this arrest legally justifiable?

She wasn't fleeing and there wasn't an arrest warrant. Why is Canada in charge of arresting her on behalf of the US? The US should have zero jurisdiction here.

Any country with which you have an extradition treaty can call you and go 'hey bud, we are investigating Mr/Ms X for crimes - we know they are in your country, can u please send them over?' and you have to. You have some leeway with your citizens, as they are required to show (only in the case of citizen OF the country extraditing) that the crime they are suspected of, happened with the said citizen IN the foreign country. But if not citizen, basically any country can request you to arrest a foreign national on their behalf and you will have to, if you have an extradition treaty. 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

The US itself is currently violating it's own sanctions with Iran. We wouldn't hold a US citizen by request of the Chinese Government under the same circumstances. Seems to me like America is overstepping borders when they don't have any authority to uphold policies which they can't even agree on domestically. 

Forget USA, we wouldn't hold a citizen of Togo on behalf of PRC government. Its because we don't have an extradition treaty with them. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/06/the-guardian-view-on-huawei-the-bigger-story

Note also the timing. She was arrested on 1 December: the day Xi Jinping and Donald Trump sat down to dinner in Buenos Aires. No one in China will see this as anything other than intensely political, whatever the truth of the matter. Diplomats have demanded her release and say she has broken no laws.

Reports say the arrest relates to allegations that Huawei has breached US sanctions on exports to Iran; US prosecutors began an investigation two years ago. Last year, ZTE, another Chinese telecoms firm, pleaded guilty to sanctions violations. A devastating US ban on the sale of parts and software to the firm was downgraded to an $892m fine and monitoring after Mr Trump’s intervention. No one was detained that time. So why an arrest, why her and why now?

11 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Apparently Huwaei evolved by spying on Canadian tech/phone company Nortel. The downfall of Nortel was at least partially caused by Huwaei spying and stealing intellectual property from Nortel. 

It makes me wonder why the DND were so keen on moving into the vacant Nortel office....

So I'm still trying to figure out how you can arrest a foreign national for something you have deemed illegal, but their government does not. This article provides some answers, but some questions as well:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/06/opinions/arresting-huawei-exec-is-a-case-of-spectacularly-bad-timing-andelman/index.html

Imagine for a moment that Ivanka Trump steps off a plane at Chek Lap Kok Airport and is set upon by Hong Kong security agents, imprisoned, then held for six days before her bail hearing because neighboring China wants to extradite her for interrogation about trade with, say, for example, Taiwan. And this happens on the very day Chinese President Xi Jinping is settling down, an ocean away, for an amicable dinner with his good friend Donald Trump to arrange a cease-fire in a desperate trade war.

That is not all that far from the scenario we see playing out now in Canada. The stunningly ill-timed arrest of Meng Wanzhou came at about the moment of Xi's dinner in Buenos Aires with Donald Trump. Meng is chief financial officer and treasured daughter of Ren Zhengfei, founder of Chinese electronics giant Huawei, and her arrest has at least six levels of such bad attached.

Ren is one of the tight circle of President Xi's personal technology brain trust, alongside Alibaba founder Jack Ma. China's immediate reaction to Meng's seizure was swift and definite—she must be released, plain and simple. She has done nothing wrong, in their view.
While Canada has still withheld most details of her seizure, Huawei has said she faces charges in New York by US Justice Department officials. And the Wall Street Journal has reported that DOJ was investigating the company over possible violation of sanctions against trading with Iran.

Now mind you, China is a signatory, along with every other member of the U.N. Security Council, of the nuclear pact that restricts Iran's development of a nuclear weapon in return for normalizing trade and economic relations with the other signers of the agreement. And China, as do all its fellow signatories, except the US, remains deeply committed to the pact. Of course, Donald Trump pulled the United States out of it, then demanded every other country respect the new sanctions it snapped back into place.

But the multiple levels of bad in this whole Meng affair can hardly be exaggerated—not to mention the questions that someone needs desperately to answer.

Let's start with Donald Trump himself. Did he know that Ms. Meng was on the cusp of being taken into custody? Did he know it might even happen sometime between the preprandial cocktails and dessert he was sharing with President Xi? If he did not know this, might someone, like, for instance, his personal choice for acting attorney general, Matthew Whitaker, not have at least dropped a little hint before or after he was whispering the latest news of the Mueller probe into his ear? (US National Security Adviser John Bolton said in an NPR interview Thursday that he knew of the arrest in advance but did not say whether the President did.)

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It looked like the Oscars were going on at the court house this morning, lots of TV cameras. Maybe the most I've seen, This must be happening DT. I should have snapped a pic for you all.

What is going on?

Edited by RUPERTKBD