The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Does that mean we can sell him to the highest bidder?

her. 

Kind of a no-win situation for Canada. If we don't follow our treaty with the US, they're po'd. If we do, China is. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 4

I don't know the law on this one. Is this arrest legally justifiable?

She wasn't fleeing and there wasn't an arrest warrant. Why is Canada in charge of arresting her on behalf of the US? The US should have zero jurisdiction here.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

She wasn't fleeing and there wasn't an arrest warrant. Why is Canada in charge of arresting her on behalf of the US? The US should have zero jurisdiction here.

Extradition treaty.. The US pretty much just has to make the request (providing reasons of course) and we have to follow. I believe that Belgium extradited someone affiliated with ZTE or Huwaei to the US earlier in the year for similar reasons (contravening sanctions against Iran)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is what I was thinking as well when I read about this today. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

2500 comments, seems like a lot. 

So I guess I shouldn't consider buying a Huwaei phone?  And what happens to HNIC? Isn't Huwaei one of their main sponsors lol? 

Apparently Huwaei evolved by spying on Canadian tech/phone company Nortel. The downfall of Nortel was at least partially caused by Huwaei spying and stealing intellectual property from Nortel. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2