The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Meng Wanzhou bail hearing at court house DT. Is what I'm guessing, lots of reporters this morn/ 

My guess is that she'll have to surrender her passport. I doubt there's any bail amount that she couldn't come up with.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My guess is that she'll have to surrender her passport. I doubt there's any bail amount that she couldn't come up with.

She managed to get a publication ban for now, but thats about it. i'm sure some press will challenge

Agree, cant see her getting bail at all.

6 minutes ago, DonLever said:

According to Global News,  Meng has 2 houses in Vancouver but only spend 2 weeks here.

Now we have proof,  Chinese speculators and money launderers are driving up the price of housing.

They said her husband lives in vancouver and kid goes to a college in the us.

Just trying to figure out how stupid she is to fly from hong kong to van to mexico.

Hilarious i worked on her other house years ago.its right beside the us consulate house.

Edited by Violator

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

BBC:

How has China responded?

A Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson told reporters: "The detention without giving any reason violates a person's human rights."

Hilarious,  considering China's horrendous human rights record.

China talking about human rights.:lol:

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

China talking about human rights.:lol:

Exactly, it is as ridiculous as a Canada criticizing other's records without considering what they did to the Native Indians or to the Chinese who came to build the railroad and instituting the head tax or putting anyone who looks like a Japanese in concentration camps in the past. 

44 minutes ago, smokes said:

Exactly, it is as ridiculous as a Canada criticizing other's records without considering what they did to the Native Indians or to the Chinese who came to build the railroad and instituting the head tax or putting anyone who looks like a Japanese in concentration camps in the past. 

Or the chinese holding a million muslims in internment camps

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, Dazzle said:

I don't know the law on this one. Is this arrest legally justifiable?

She wasn't fleeing and there wasn't an arrest warrant. Why is Canada in charge of arresting her on behalf of the US? The US should have zero jurisdiction here.

Perfectly legal.  US has extradition treaty with Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/meng-huawei-extradition-1.4937146

"The arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou may inflame diplomatic and trade tensions with China, but Canada's extradition treaty with the United States left it with no choice but to detain her, says a legal expert.

"If the application from the requesting state is in order, then Canada is legally obliged to arrest her," said Rob Currie, a Dalhousie law professor who focuses extensively on extradition law.

"Most extraditions are not terribly contentious. It so happens that this one is and has massive international political dimensions to it."

Under the terms of the extradition treaty, the U.S. could request Meng's arrest in Canada if she was wanted in connection with conduct considered criminal in both Canada and the United States, and if the offence carries a jail sentence of a year or more. Once that threshold is met, the treaty compels Canada to act.

"The appropriate authorities took the decisions in this case without any political involvement or interference ... we were advised by them with a few days' notice that this was in the works," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters in Montreal Thursday.

Edited by DonLever

1 hour ago, Violator said:

Or the chinese holding a million muslims in internment camps

Or the US tear gassing migrants, splitting up children and family and Canada pretending they don't see it.

Edited by smokes

31 minutes ago, smokes said:

Or the US tear gassing migrants, splitting up children and family and Canada pretending they don't see it.

The US teared gassed the migrants because they threw rocks and tried to breach the barriers.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/26/18112474/tear-gas-border-patrol-caravan-rocks

"Shortly before noon, US officials fired tear gas and a “flash-bang” grenade at a group of people attempting to cross through a fence into the US. Video taken of the incident shows rocks being thrown at agents before the tear gas was fired. (Customs and Border Protection officials said Monday that four agents were hit with rocks over the course of the day.) Witnesses also reported that Border Patrol agents fired rubber bullets."

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2018 at 1:16 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

They'll probably go to war with Iran if Trump gets a second term. They've already sowed some seeds for that..

I doubt that will happen, because they would already be in a war with Iran if it was feasible. Iran is different than Iraq or Afghanistan and US knows that. 

27 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

You are using that as violation of human rights? Tell me who has a better human rights policy in this day and age? China or Canada? Don't talk about history, if you want to bring that up, you might as well just forget about human rights ever existing because you can keep going backwards and finding violations of human rights for any country.

In Canada, it depends on your skin color and where you are on the social ladder. Look at the amount of missing women on Main and Hastings that still have not been found because people don't care. Many Natives are still fighting to keep the reserves that the government gave them in the first place. What bugs me is that when anything about China comes up everyone starts talking about it's human rights record. I don't hear about Canadians complain about the human rights abuses in the US. Things like there are more people locked up in the US than any other countries, that there are kids locked up in adult jails. If Canadians are going to talk about China's human rights record in this situation then it is only fair to drag the US's in with it. 

I remember a while ago hearing how the U.S. wasn't going to allow the sale of the new Huawei phones in their country for hacking reasons, supposedly they were claiming something like they have devices in them to allow hacking, I see a few other countries have done the same, just weird how Canada doesn't seem to care...

Edit: Just realized the OP spelled Huawei wrong twice in the title and his brief sentence, with it spelled right in his article title he posted to see :lol:

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

7 hours ago, smokes said:

Sure Canada has done bad things in it's history but it's not even anywhere close to the same level as China.

3 hours ago, smokes said:

In Canada, it depends on your skin color and where you are on the social ladder. Look at the amount of missing women on Main and Hastings that still have not been found because people don't care. Many Natives are still fighting to keep the reserves that the government gave them in the first place. What bugs me is that when anything about China comes up everyone starts talking about it's human rights record. I don't hear about Canadians complain about the human rights abuses in the US. Things like there are more people locked up in the US than any other countries, that there are kids locked up in adult jails. If Canadians are going to talk about China's human rights record in this situation then it is only fair to drag the US's in with it. 

Absolutely wrongs have been done in Canada but as far as missing people China has millions of missing or murdered citizens because they opposed the government. You are right about the US but I'm shocked you don't hear it. Hell CDC posts more American news than anything else. Even you use American spelling in this post I'm responding to.

24 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Sure Canada has done bad things in it's history but it's not even anywhere close to the same level as China.

Absolutely wrongs have been done in Canada but as far as missing people China has millions of missing or murdered citizens because they opposed the government. You are right about the US but I'm shocked you don't hear it. Hell CDC posts more American news than anything else. Even you use American spelling in this post I'm responding to.

How can you say that? Do you know how many Chinese people died just building that railroad?  Also at the end of building the railroad, most of the workers did not even get paid. Do you even understand the amount of families that were shattered because of the head tax? Hundreds of thousands were destroyed. Then let's look at when the Canadian government threw many Chinese people in concentration camps with the Japanese and left them there for years. Everything they owned got confiscated and taken away.  It's not to the same level to you because it did not impact you and your people. But with all due respect, please do not diminish the impact it had on our people.

I have been in China for a few years now and I have travelled to the places people talk about, and from my own eyes, I can say it is not as bad as many people talk about. No one talks about the muslim communities that are well off because people only want to hear about the bad stuff. There is a thriving Canadian presence here as well which I happen to be a part of, with the amount of Canadians that have actually been to China and back to Canada, how many of those do you hear say many bad things about it once they've been there. The story that millions of citizens are going missing or being murdered by the government...seriously...MILLIONS?...That's a genocide right there, if that was seriously happening right now, the whole world, all news outlets, everything would be put on hold and everyone in the world would be talking about it. No matter how powerful a government is, it is damn near impossible to do that in such a scale without more storyies and pictures and all of that leaking out. Not in this day and age. If that is really happening, this whole Trump reality show...no one would care. The terrorist groups would be decrying this and posting stuff all over the internet if that story was true.

Edited by smokes